AudioEngine D1 24-bit DAC Video Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
I didn't realize how crappy the preamp was that I was using to feed my AudioEngine 5+ speakers. Now we reviewed those speakers earlier this year and for our listening tests I used various source components, including an iPhone, a Blu-ray player and the stereo outputs of an A/V receiver. But after the review we hooked the speakers back up to my laptop using an external hybrid microphone DAC. That was a mistake. I wondered why the clarity and top end of the A5+'s seemed a bit lacking all of a sudden, when I had previously found them to be pretty darn good. Then I connected this thing - the D1 DAC from AudioEngine.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/QjNv94qRy7E?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/QjNv94qRy7E?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>​

Discuss "AudioEngine D1 24-bit DAC Video Review" here. Read the article.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Were any comparisons down with higher quality motherboard sound systems or just basic MB sound? Other than high-end gaming systems most store-bought computers tend to use really cheap components in order to keep the price down. You don't have a lot of choices if you're using a laptop but those with a desktop computer also have the option of high quality sound cards with a variety of outputs.

For notebook users the one thing I'm skeptical of is the lack of a subwoofer output. I guess you could go from the DAC to an active crossover but by the time you do that you've spent almost enough on outboard processing and active speakers to pay for decent passive speakers and an entry level receiver. Maybe they're aiming at computer speaker sets but if I were going to spend that much for a DAC I'd want good speakers and a sub.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
It's probably targeted as an upgrade to those already using the active AudioEngine speakers. I'm sure bass management would have added to the cost. It might make for a nice desktop dac/headphone amp.

I compared to several laptops and there was a noticeable difference in the dynamic range and the bottom end.

To expand on the other posts, I never had an issue with the sub output because nearly every upper-end active speaker I've used to-date has had an RCA through output. Also, my subs have a variable crossover. A DAC that has a sub output would have a good chance of being either a full-range mono output or using a fixed crossover. I'd almost prefer just another set of parallel stereo RCA outputs.

Not a bad suggestion for an updated, more advanced product, though. But you'd have to pay for that upgrade and I'm not sure the target market needs it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
How about a configurable unit that allows the addition of a bass management module :)

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
It's probably targeted as an upgrade to those already using the active AudioEngine speakers. I'm sure bass management would have added to the cost. It might make for a nice desktop dac/headphone amp.
Bass management would have been a huge plus but the D1 looks like a great option for laptop owners with limited space or just running headphones. For a desktop user I'd lean toward a very capable internal solution like an HT Omega Claro, HT Omega Claro Halo, or an Asus Xonar Essence, or just go optical out from MB sound to a receiver. For my home-office desktop I go from a mid-range Asus Xonar to a receiver and use the Receiver's DACs but I have the room.

I compared to several laptops and there was a noticeable difference in the dynamic range and the bottom end.

To expand on the other posts, I never had an issue with the sub output because nearly every upper-end active speaker I've used to-date has had an RCA through output. Also, my subs have a variable crossover. A DAC that has a sub output would have a good chance of being either a full-range mono output or using a fixed crossover. I'd almost prefer just another set of parallel stereo RCA outputs.

Not a bad suggestion for an updated, more advanced product, though. But you'd have to pay for that upgrade and I'm not sure the target market needs it.
It seems like a great product for notebook users in an office, a bedroom, or a dorm room. Places where space is tight and powered speakers make a lot of sense. For corporate critters the driverless design also saves a lot of arguing with IT people (and losing) and that's a huge plus. For me personally if I were going to pay $170 for a top notch 2-channel DAC I'd happily pay $30-50 more for a 2.1 with a fixed 80hz or better yet selectable 60/80hz crossover, those are good options for their A2/A5/A5+. On the other hand it looks like an idea solution as-is for someone that just wants to drive good headphones, whether at home, the office, or on the road. If I were still a road warrior I'd have one in my bag along with my UE TripleFi 10s. :D

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
The Outlaw receiver and the HK 990 integrated amp are the only two channel products with bass management that I know of. I thought Denon made a stereo receiver with it, but when I look now they only have full range sub outs. Same for HK's and Yamaha's. Too much complexity? Not pure stereo? I don't know know. I agree though that bass management is a feature that really can make a difference.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The Outlaw receiver and the HK 990 integrated amp are the only two channel products with bass management that I know of. I thought Denon made a stereo receiver with it, but when I look now they only have full range sub outs. Same for HK's and Yamaha's. Too much complexity? Not pure stereo? I don't know know. I agree though that bass management is a feature that really can make a difference.
I believe the parasound 2100 and the emotiva usp-1 also have bass management.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
too bad Outlaw only accept usb as only digital input and not spdif
p.s: HK 990 does look rather interesting, but since it has bass management and autosetup - it's really more of modern avr (minus video switching and tuner) than integrated amp

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
p.s: HK 990 does look rather interesting, but since it has bass management and autosetup - it's really more of modern avr (minus video switching and tuner) than integrated amp
Wouldn't that make it an AR instead of an AVR?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Wouldn't that make it an AR instead of an AVR?
Receiver normally means pre-amp+amp+tuner. Modern receivers also include dac and audio&video switching and processing
You see the boggle? I'm not sure Integrated amp really fits it, but I guess it's as close as possible without calling it stereo receiver (which usually don't much over pure 2.0 with possibly unmanaged (full-range) sub-out

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
Yeah, the HK is interesting, but I have to admit, for the 2k asking price I can't see it. I'd go with one of their avrs and a 2 channel amp.

Didn't know about the parasound 2100. It doesn't have any digital inputs though. As for the Emotiva I seem to recall concerns about how the bass management was implemented.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, the HK is interesting, but I have to admit, for the 2k asking price I can't see it. I'd go with one of their avrs and a 2 channel amp.

Didn't know about the parasound 2100. It doesn't have any digital inputs though. As for the Emotiva I seem to recall concerns about how the bass management was implemented.
I agree about 2k is much too steep. Something like Yamaha A710+XPA3 at 1.3k would much more bang for your buck

But back to DACs .... I did some research trying to find some real info about AE D1 and it turns out they in fact used high quality components in it - like AKM AK4396 Dac and TI NE5532 op amp

More info here:
Audioengine D1 DAC/ Headphone Amp (Playback 54) | AVguide
Audioengine D1 24-Bit DAC | AudioStream

btw: There is also this interesting product - a Wireless DAC ...
Audioengine D2 Wireless 24-Bit DAC & USB-S/PDIF Converter | AudioStream

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I really like the specs of the D2 except the PRICE. I am thinking more like W3.

Frans

Frans

Junior Audioholic
I've got a MacBook Pro using iTunes, hooked up via optical cable to my Marantz AV7005. I'm curious if this DAC will provide a sound improvement in my case?

To be honest, I don't notice a lot of difference listening this way, compared to AirPlay.... Except sometimes, using Airplay, it ticks softly from time to time.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Mini Review of D1

long story short, after long consideration I decided to wet my feet in the world of DAC and get myself a D1 dac - yes - you read this right... And the only reason is not attempt to improve SQ, but to get rid of annoying RF interference which become really annoying after I recently replaced my video card

I haven't tested my main setup just yet (just got it today) , but for now tested with my Fostex T20RP headphones (Impedance - 50 ohms, Sensitivity 96dB SPL/mW) - not exactly easy load for typical headphone amp... Behringer uc202 struggled and failed and eventually I had to supplement it with Fiio E5 which was highly reviewed by NwGuy - It made a big difference

D1 took this difference and took it a bit further with a bit more push in the low end and better overall clarity in low and mids - it's not brighter, just a bit more clear - drums sound a bit more punchier and precise ..

That said - I wish D1 had more juice as running with classical tracks (01. London Symphony Orchestra & Bernard Haitink - Beethoven Symphony No.5 - I. Allegro con brio.flac) - running Max volume - I wish I could add a bit more volume, but this is minor as I rarely do critical listening at work anyhow..

Overall for now I'm happy with the purchase and the big test will running D1 on main rig at home.. To be continued....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I noticed the UCA-202 still has some limitations. I fed it with some higher quality tracks and I noticed it rolled the top off just a bit and bass is good, but not spectacular. Good for general audio and using it is just as simple as the D1 sounds like, so I will be curious to hear how it does in the main rig.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Am I missing some thing? (probably) why doesn't one of these manufacturers make a DAC or better yet, a 2 channel receiver (with digital inputs) AND bass management?? I realize that this forum is made up of a bunch of audio hopheads- but I would think that there's a market out there that would gobble it up given the right right features/ price point .
I'm done with my rant now.
Cheers,Mac

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
They're out there, Mac. The previously mentioned HK990. The NAD C390 looks pretty innovative, too.

But you're right. They need to get price competitive with AVRs, otherwise most frugal types will simply go with an AVR. You'd think with the plethora of two channel digital music that they would address this seemingly neglected segment.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
They're out there, Mac. The previously mentioned HK990. The NAD C390 looks pretty innovative, too.

But you're right. They need to get price competitive with AVRs, otherwise most frugal types will simply go with an AVR. You'd think with the plethora of two channel digital music that they would address this seemingly neglected segment.
I was looking at AVRs but the cheapest ones don't have pre-outs and thus incompatible with my monitors :( and ones which did there too expensive and both of them way to big to use on my pc desk area :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis