Velodyne EQ-Max 15 Subwoofer Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Velodyne's EQ-Max line arguably offers the most bang for the buck out of the current Velodyne roster with a plethora of upscale basic features similar to those found on their higher end lines and missing from other manufacturers subwoofers. The largest model the EQ-Max 15 at $879 is the least expensive Velodyne model to offer a 15" driver. The reinforced fiber cone driver is housed in a large 21"x19"x21.5" enclosure with a vinyl finish that has a pleasing dark brown wood grain character to it. The removable grille bucks the typical square trend and is instead contoured towards the bottom around the driver which further enhances the appearance. The driver is vented from the bottom of the enclosure via a pair of 3" diameter ports and the whole system is powered by a 750 watt rated class D amplifier. Additional features of the EQ-Max line include: Remote control, 4 user selectable EQ presets, speaker level inputs and outputs and auto room EQ with a supplied microphone. It's no surprise that the EQ-Max 15 had a powerful presence with movies due to the vented alignment and 15" driver, but extra deep extension is not its forte. That being the case the EQ-Max 15 achieved the Audioholics Medium Room rating. Powerful and dynamic music playback is where the EQ-Max 15 really excelled and judging from some of the objective measurements, it is easy to see why. Feature laden and DSP operated via remote control from the comfort of your seat, the EQ-Max 15 certainly has a lot to offer.

Discuss "Velodyne EQ-Max 15 Subwoofer Review " here. Read the article.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
The whole report is up now!

This is pretty much what i had expected from this sub. Velodyne is still a big box sub brand that makes great subs but when trying to compete with ID sub brands, they just dont give you the performance per dollar in the same catagory. This is not to say this is a bad sub. But if i had $879 to spend all over again, i wouldnt change the decision i made. Somebody will buy this sub & love it, just wont be me, sorry Velodyne!!

Thank you for the review however!!! I ALWAYS love reading the reviews you put out!!! Great job :)

G

gotchaforce

Junior Audioholic
Lol the SVS PB12NSD blows this thing out of the water. costs a lot less and looks better too.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Lol the SVS PB12NSD blows this thing out of the water. costs a lot less and looks better too.
Well, that's a little extreme - in the primary music range, the Velodyne has a good deal more headroom than the SVS, and it has more setup/connection options. If 32Hz and up is the most important thing to you, I could see someone opting for the Velodyne.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
There are some uses for this sub. Say someone plays a lot of music, has a large space & wants it loud. The >30hz bass would be pretty strong & Velos can be pretty musical...still not my cup of tea but like i said, someone will buy this.

K

KalaniP

Audiophyte
What would the next step up be from this sub? For HT purposes, I see the SVS PB12-NSD as the stronger choice, and it's cheaper, too. I wonder how far up the Velo chain you need to go before hitting something that will truly meet or beat the SVS...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, that's a little extreme - in the primary music range, the Velodyne has a good deal more headroom than the SVS, and it has more setup/connection options. If 32Hz and up is the most important thing to you, I could see someone opting for the Velodyne.
Sorry I don't. Imo John summarized it very nicely:
recommended as maintaining adequate headroom in rooms or spaces of 1,500-3,000 cubic feet and/or for users who usually listen at low to moderate volume levels.
and now compare it to another sub (which retails for $230 less)

.... receives the Audioholics Bassoholic Large room rating, which means that this sub is recommended as maintaining adequate headroom in rooms or spaces of 3,000 to 5,000 cubic feet and/or for users who usually listen at moderate to high volume levels.
p.s: Thanks John for great review !!!

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Sorry I don't. Imo John summarized it very nicely:
Remember the room rating includes home theater use, so bass <32Hz is important. That's the qualifier - If you don't much care about <32Hz (and not everyone does), the numbers favor the Velodyne.

Quoting John:

Powerful and dynamic music playback is where the EQ-Max 15 really excelled and judging from some of the objective measurements, it is easy to see why.

Ricci

Ricci

Bassaholic
The EQ-Max-15 misses the large room rating by virtue of it's 25Hz and 31.5Hz performance which is part of the minimum criteria.

The PB12-NSD does better at those 2 bands so it meets the criteria.

And yes...My mother gave me the name Joshua.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
Pretty disappointing performance for a 15" sub. I'd bet the Cadence 15 would out perform it for less than half the price.

Hopefully the Klipsch SW115 will be better.

A

ack_bak

Audioholic
Remember the room rating includes home theater use, so bass <32Hz is important. That's the qualifier - If you don't much care about <32Hz (and not everyone does), the numbers favor the Velodyne.

Quoting John:
Exactly. While I would take the SVS over this on because I am more of a home theater guy, I am sure there are lots of people that care more about the mid bass region and the Velodyne beats the SVS there and would most likely preferred for music. Velodyne is also known for giving your lots of features on their subs (like remote controls) and that may appeal to some.

But for the price, there are other ID subs I would take over the Velodyne.

C

Craigslist Joe

Audioholic Intern
Velodyne quality costs lots of rubles, comrades.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis