Kopimism Piracy Group Granted Religious Status in Sweden

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Well, I suppose if the Scientologists could make a science fiction author their spiritual leader and be granted religious status in America, it wouldn't be long before others would go through the same hoops and form alternate (and equally bizarre) churches. According to... um, just about every tech news outlet on the Internet... a new "church" has finally succeeded in its efforts to be officially deemed a religion in Sweden of all places. Both an official press release and a news article on Torrent Freak are saying that a group started by philosophy student Isak Gerson has formed an officially sanctioned religion with one core belief: it's okay to copy information, in any form.

Discuss "Kopimism Piracy Group Granted Religious Status in Sweden" here. Read the article.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
It's what I already always known..... Swedes are strange people.....

They once turned down the rights to have the benefits (read: revenue) from the oil industry ....

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
That is indeed, messed up!:rolleyes: If the Swedish constitution really does define a religion as "a belief system with rituals", they left a loophole large enough to drive a supertanker through...

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Sounds like that religion has been alive and well in spirit in China for decades.

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
I see where this is going..................all hail Reverend Clint?

M

mrmichaelbeck

Audiophyte
I'm not confirming or denying whether or not I support "Kopimism", but what gives anyone the right to ridicule another's religion just because it seems strange? Wasn't there a large movement worldwide to have "Jedi" confirmed as an actual religion? Would you call that ridiculous?

In my humble opinion, if someone wants to start their own religion, more power to them. Good for them for showing the follow-through that others lack to start their own belief structure. Though, I'm pretty sure that Scientology, Buddhism, Shintoism and *gasp* Christianity and Catholicism (among the other major ones) had to start somewhere.

How would you feel if I openly mocked your religion?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not confirming or denying whether or not I support "Kopimism", but what gives anyone the right to ridicule another's religion just because it seems strange? Wasn't there a large movement worldwide to have "Jedi" confirmed as an actual religion? Would you call that ridiculous?

In my humble opinion, if someone wants to start their own religion, more power to them. Good for them for showing the follow-through that others lack to start their own belief structure. Though, I'm pretty sure that Scientology, Buddhism, Shintoism and *gasp* Christianity and Catholicism (among the other major ones) had to start somewhere.

How would you feel if I openly mocked your religion?
I'm certainly not mocking it. However, when this "religions" core belief is that internet piracy is OK, my impression is that it's just a cynical move to protect themselves from legal action. It appears to me, that "Kopimism" is actually mocking traditional religions...

My spidey senses are telling me that this thread is doomed to an early closure...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis