Sony STR-DA3700ES AV Receiver Video Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Today we're looking at the new Sony STR-DA3700ES Receiver. We're actually pretty excited about this one because we got to see it up close and personal at this year's CEDIA event in Indianapolis. What's the big deal? Well, Sony has completely redesigned the GUI on-screen display and setup system. They haven't just redesigned the setup menu, they've took an axe to the whole way you connect and engage music, video and streaming media. In all honesty, we had to restrain ourselves from lifting up the receiver to look for an Apple logo. Sony is back in the game, except that they never really left, they just haven't been pushing the envelop over the past several years. Now other manufacturers are going to have to sit up and take notice.

Discuss "Sony STR-DA3700ES AV Receiver Video Review" here. Read the article.

jinjuku

jinjuku

To save me from having to research:

Will it let me stream from a media server or connect to a UNC type share and watched ripped DVD/BR's?

It would potentially let people get rid of their HTPC's.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Here are some things that were not covered on the article.

• 7.1 channel A/V receiver (100Wx7 @ 8 ohms,
20-20kHz, 0.09% THD)

• Flexible speaker options including Bi-Amp, Front
High speakers and variable zone 2

• 4 ohm/8 ohm switching

• iPhone®
/iPod®
via front USB

• Includes a variety of soundfields including HD-DCS
(Digital Cinema Sound) and Berlin Philharmonic

• Digital Stream Digital (DSD Decoding via HDMI®
)

• DTS HD/DolbyTruHD/Dolby Digital+/Dolby®
Prologic IIz

• Dll Audio Scaler analyzes and up-scales standard
definition (compressed) audio signals
(@44.1 kHz, 48kHz or 96 kHz) to 192 kHz

Last edited:
K

kevon27

Annoying Poster
How does Audioholics choose how to review a receiver? Sometimes you get detail reviews with charts, measurements (video processing, Amp power) etc, like the Yamaha Advantage 3000 receiver (http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/rx-a3000). Than we get a review like this Sony, which mostly centers around the multimedia features. The entire review is very user "user friendly". This is good for the none technical readers but what about the hardcore readers who like the ole school Audioholics reviews?

No pre-outs on a $1100 receiver?
This is the same argument a PC guys makes to a guy with a Mac, BUT, Sony has traditionally NOT been Apple... this receiver might actually be one of the products that puts them more in line with what they had hoped to be for years now... innovative and user-friendly.

The strangeness is that Sony has a desire for the ES line to be both a professional AND a consumer solution. It's really hard to be both.

P

prerich

Audioholic Intern
This is the same argument a PC guys makes to a guy with a Mac, BUT, Sony has traditionally NOT been Apple... this receiver might actually be one of the products that puts them more in line with what they had hoped to be for years now... innovative and user-friendly.

The strangeness is that Sony has a desire for the ES line to be both a professional AND a consumer solution. It's really hard to be both.
After some thought, I will agree with you there. I will not buy a $1100 receiver without pre-outs, why - because I love to tinker. As a PC guy, I've built my own computers for close to 2 decades now. I didn't plunge into directly into the Blu-ray/HD-DVD war by buying one of the formats in standalone form, I installed each format in my PC and went from there. When it comes down to my system, I prefer seperate amps - and to get me in at that price point, there are a lot of other contenders that I would go with (other than the Sony) because my computer does most of that other stuff - hey I even got rid of my Cable box with the HDHR3 Prime - love that machine.

When I think receiver - I think sound and switching - and being true to my PC roots - I have the need to tinker;):cool:!

D

Doc Greene

Audiophyte
What about the sound?

I noticed the everyone talked about the feature, the gui, the jacks, but no one mentioned the only thing that really counts and that is the sound. In the past Sony has had almost the worst sounding receivers I have ever heard. I am sure that Emerson is worse but I couldn't do the A/B comparison. So I would like to know how it sounds compared to Denon, Pioneer, Integra and Anthem. I had always found that Denon sounded better than its comparably priced rivals, but When I replaced my AVR3311ci with an Anthem MX700 all I could say was "WOW". It sounded so much more authoritative and the clarity really helped my old ears with dialog during big action scenes. So What say you? :rolleyes:

C

Chazz77

Audiophyte
Strda 3700ES

Well, I love the musicality of the 3700. It is one of the best sounding amps out there. Regular non-ES Sony, not so much (not even in the same city, let alone ballpark). And I would love pre-outs as well. The GUI and the network are worth raving about, but yeah a good review of the audio and video performance would be nice. BTW, set the surround to HDDCS to Theater or studio, depending on room. And I usually dislike surround modes; but there is a mode for what the studio wanted (A.F.D.)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
In the past Sony has had almost the worst sounding receivers I have ever heard. I am sure that Emerson is worse but I couldn't do the A/B comparison. So I would like to know how it sounds compared to Denon, Pioneer, Integra and Anthem. I had always found that Denon sounded better than its comparably priced rivals, but When I replaced my AVR3311ci with an Anthem MX700 all I could say was "WOW". It sounded so much more authoritative and the clarity really helped my old ears with dialog during big action scenes. So What say you? :rolleyes:
Sure, that's your opinion, others have theirs and many do think Sony ES AVRs sound just as good as Denons and others. For instance, I found my Denon AVR sound as good as my Anthem amp, let alone just an Anthem AVR.

Cornan

Cornan

Audiophyte
Final Impression - can't use it!

This model is probably already discontinued by now, given Sony's troubles.

But I was still sad to see the absence of any 5.1 analog inputs. And surprised you didn't even mention it.

I still have 5.1 analog video output, SACD, DVD-Audio and even older 4.0 formats so I need that "Multi Ch" input.

This is a Sony receiver I can't use.

I wonder if the 5xxx's retain a "Multi" input.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Sure, that's your opinion, others have theirs and many do think Sony ES AVRs sound just as good as Denons and others. For instance, I found my Denon AVR sound as good as my Anthem amp, let alone just an Anthem AVR.

I like the sound of Sony but I only perceive it has a "sound" when in a user selected sound-field mode. These are novel but I usually operate my Sony TA-E9000ES in a two channel plus sub out mode which is simply as real as I have heard on the sort of music I enjoy. Overall, the Sony ES promise of elevated sound has been realized by me as my signature indicates. I have experience with other name brands like Marantz yet need to exercise warranty early on with most of their components I purchased caused me to become more critical for the brand. It seemed the brand was capitalizing on its legend rather than on its substance.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis