Panasonic 32bit 3D Blu-ray Players - When 24bit Just Isn't Enough

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Panasonic put out six (6) new Blu-ray players at this year's CES 2012. They include four 3D models (DMP-BBT01, DMP-BDT500, DMP-BDT320, DMP-BDT220) and and two networking 2D models (the DMP-BD87 and the DMP-BD77). All four of the 3D models include Panasonic's proprietary IPTV platform, VIERA Connect, while the 2D models feature IP VOD, a service that is different, but still offers a limited, though targeted, selection of such sites as Netflix, Vudu, CinemaNow and YouTube. What got us, though was the fact that three of these players feature 192kHz/32bit Audio DACs (not available on the DMP-BBT01). On top of that, the BDT500 includes high grade audio parts – gold plated terminals, high grade electric capacitor, better insulators...

Discuss "Panasonic 32bit 3D Blu-ray Players - When 24bit Just Isn't Enough" here. Read the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
jinjuku

jinjuku

If you are going to 32bits of resolution why not a 384Khz on the sampling rate?

Not even aware of any audio in a 32bit format.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
If you are going to 32bits of resolution why not a 384Khz on the sampling rate?

Not even aware of any audio in a 32bit format.
It's exceeds lunacy since the analog noise floor never exceeds more than 19-20 bits at best due to Johnson noise.

jinjuku

jinjuku

It's exceeds lunacy since the analog noise floor never exceeds more than 19-20 bits at best due to Johnson noise.
But the general buying public don't know this. Panasonic is going to sell the crap out of it:)

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
If my Johnson starts making noise, bits will be the least of my concern....

:D

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Probably, the IC chips are cheap to make, so it doesn't matter if it makes no audible difference.

Judging from past models from Panasonic, they are likely not going to be overly expensive, and will likely be good performers, regardless of whether the 32 bit processing matters or not.

D

dan87951

Audiophyte
For a audiophile player whats the point in putting in great DACs with no SACD or DVD-Audio support! Not very smart IMO. Bummer about the lack of support on the BDT-500.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
For a audiophile player whats the point in putting in great DACs with no SACD or DVD-Audio support! Not very smart IMO. Bummer about the lack of support on the BDT-500.
The BDT-500 has analog outs which will get you Blu-ray audio through an older rec'r. That's something considering it was $245.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I just picked up the BDT220 for my parents a week ago. They haven't even taken it out of the box yet. I will have to go over and get the wifi setup for them, so I'll post my thoughts.

You and about 10 other guys are the only ones asking that question anymore... lol.
I wouldn't consider these "audiophile" players. People who are seriously asking about SACD/DVD-A in a new player are probably looking at something higher than these. I don't think Panasonic has included SACD/DVD-A on a player in a few years.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis