HBO Disses Netflix Again and Halts Discounted DVD Sales

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Before we get into the who and what of this article, let's just put a few things into perspective. First of all, Netflix has around 20 million streaming customers and HBO has around 28 million pay TV customers. That means that HBO has some clout, and so it's new HBO Go service, while limited in scope, is certainly something to consider for those people who consistently pay for the service. And really that's where this issue gets dicey. Cable and satellite companies that hate Netflix are to be expected - I mean, the company represents the era of new media and content delivery in a way that they are just now starting to appreciate (and get consistent at). But when content providers start hating on Netflix, it's a concern.

Discuss "HBO Disses Netflix Again and Halts Discounted DVD Sales" here. Read the article.

K

kevon27

Annoying Poster
I know what Netflix needs.... A CEO shake up.. hmmm.. Bring in Carly Fiorina :rolleyes:

jinjuku

jinjuku

There are a few glimmers of hope. Netflix is just starting to bring their own content to market a'la HBO/Showtime.

They also snagged exclusive season 4 of Arrested Development. If they could do this with a few other franchises that PEOPLE love, but networks don't, then it could generate positive buzz.

Think about Netflix spinning up FireFly for another 13 runs.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Think about Netflix spinning up FireFly for another 13 runs.
That would have been awesome about eight years ago, but now? Especially after what happened to some of the cast in Serenity? Unless they got new actors, I think it wouldn't be very good.

However, if they'd bring back the Hoff to remind us that one man really can make a difference... :D

K

kevon27

Annoying Poster
That would have been awesome about eight years ago, but now? Especially after what happened to some of the cast in Serenity? Unless they got new actors, I think it wouldn't be very good.

However, if they'd bring back the Hoff to remind us that one man really can make a difference... :D
Yes... 2012 Knight Rider.. Kitt as a Toyota Prius.. go to go green..

farscaper

farscaper

Audioholic
don't tease!!!!
I 2nd that. Having JW expand or continue with Firefly would be great.

I also believe we need to support the likes of Netflix. They have a long hard fight ahead of them with the likes of HBO, the studios and our ISPs. Look what has developed in the short while since Netflix came on the scene. Their pushing the technology we already have and the options we consumers want.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Studios, on the other hand, are getting killed with a huge drop off in DVD sales. While we consumers may not care about their profits, they do... So, you can expect that studios are going to get tougher and tougher about bringing back some sort of selling strategy so it is under their control.

Imagine if Netflix receives zero movies, and the studios provide all rentals through a single unified selling/renting platform. You could go to Netflix for some limited options, or you can go to 'something else' (UltraViolet?), for all the content currently available. The studios would directly collect the cash on every sale/rental made.

With the 'cheap rental' options of Netflix/Blockbuster/Redbox, I don't see studios playing nice with rental chains for much longer.

I see the biggest headache is the quality of most movies is good, but never reaches what Blu-ray delivers. Since I do like owning quality movies in physical format, it concerns me that it may go away sooner rather than later.

farscaper

farscaper

Audioholic
I agree with it becoming more difficult to find alternative movie sources with Blu-ray quality, but I'm having trouble feeling sorry for the studios.

While I believe that a few of the smaller studios are losing money. The lawsuits and info leaks concerning Hollywood Bookkeeping makes it difficult to feel sorry for them losing money on DVD sales. Movies like the Harry Potter series and the LOTR series being listed as losing money is a farce. The studios owning the distributing & marketing arms of the business is a great racket.

The other problem is supporting a rental/ distribution system from the 70/80s. They need to change or go out of business.

This is a good conversation but it should involve more beer :D

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
Netflix has around 20 million streaming customers .... when content providers start hating on Netflix, it's a concern.
Why is it a concern? For me, Netflix has come and gone. I was an early adopter, because it was a cost effective way to watch movies in the best fidelity possible. Netflix started to loose me by charging extra for HD discs, and sealed my disdain for them by recently raising my rate by 50% (during a recession no less). I no longer subscribe to their service.

Much as been made of the "Dumbing Down of Audio" but no one seems to say a word about the "Dumbing Down of Video" which is what streaming movies is. I prefer to watch my content in full audio and video fidelity.

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
Studios, on the other hand, are getting killed with a huge drop off in DVD sales.
Getting killed, or committing suicide? How many 5-7 dollar Blu-Ray's do you think they could sell? How much would the same 5-7 dollar Blu-Ray's reduce piracy?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Much as been made of the "Dumbing Down of Audio" but no one seems to say a word about the "Dumbing Down of Video" which is what streaming movies is. I prefer to watch my content in full audio and video fidelity.
On my PS3, the content that I watch in HD video and 5.1 Dolby Digital is very satisfying. I watch on a 50" TV from about eight feet away. Of course, I could already be dumbed down. :) My internet connection is good enough to get their max bitrate, though.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Why is it a concern? For me, Netflix has come and gone. I was an early adopter, because it was a cost effective way to watch movies in the best fidelity possible. Netflix started to loose me by charging extra for HD discs, and sealed my disdain for them by recently raising my rate by 50% (during a recession no less). I no longer subscribe to their service.

Even with the price hike I am at $16/Month plus OTA TV vs $60/Month with Cable. I like it and it meets my needs. I watch a lot less TV now that cable is gone. It's been nice.

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
Even with the price hike I am at $16/Month plus OTA TV vs $60/Month with Cable. I like it and it meets my needs. I watch a lot less TV now that cable is gone. It's been nice.
I think you nailed the difference - I can't get OTA TV. Hawaii has quite a few steep sided valleys, one of which I live in, that not only block OTA signals, but block satellite signals too. Much of Hawaii is hostage to Time Warner Cable.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis