Ultra-D Glasses-free 3D Debuting at CES

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Stream TV Networks is a rather obscure company, but it's making a splash at CES this year by announcing that it is debuting a new glasses-free 3D technology called Ultra-D. To add fuel to the fire, the fledgling company is claiming that Ultra-D "surpasses all 3D viewing experiences offered to date." That's a bold claim. Instead of using active or even passive shutter glasses, Ultra-D uses proprietary hardware and software to create fully autostereoscopic 3D imagery in both 2D and 3D-native content. That means that Ultra-D not only performs 2D-to-3D conversion, it even takes normal 3D content that would require glasses, and renders it in its autostereoscopic form to remove all need for glasses. Now, we've seen this in mockup displays dating as far back as 2007, but to see a product actually hit the market will be fascinating. Of course, as no one I know has even heard of Stream TV Networks, it's anyone's guess as to whether the system will take off, either as a product or licensable technology.

Discuss "Ultra-D Glasses-free 3D Debuting at CES" here. Read the article.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
SIGH! I won't hold my breath.

It's been said a million times so why not once more. If only production companies focus on good content rather than gimmicks, their efforts will be significantly better rewarded.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis