HDCP Master Key Cracked with $267 Custom Board

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Apparently HDCP has been cracked. Now, Blu-ray content protection has been cracked before. At least, it's been cracked such that you can rip and store the files to hard drive if, you know, you're a glutton for punishment and have enough hard disc space to make this practical. Our thought has been that picking up a Blu-ray Disc jukebox like Sony's BDP-CX7000ES ($750) or the Pioneer DV-F727 ($600) makes a lot more sense, even though it's not as nifty as having a smooth digital interface for all your movies. But "researchers" at the Secure Hardware Group of Ruhr University of Bochum (RUB) in Germany claim to have cracked Intel's HDCP using hardware.

Discuss "HDCP Master Key Cracked with $267 Custom Board" here. Read the article.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
[STRIKE]
As states many times - this is very neat and all, but still far cry from being a practical solution and let me touch up on few answers why:
a) This "practical" solution only removes the hdcp protection from hdmi stream and does not facilitate the capture
b)hdmi steam is uncompressed and could be as high as 10.2 Gigabits - you'd ether need a hardware able to do realtime encoding of this very high speed stream or a storage system capable of continuous write speeds of 1.275 GBytes/sec - so far I know only Extreme PCI-e SSD system could come close, but a) it's very expensive b) offers relatively small storage which is an issue because
d) uncompressed HDMI stream at 10.2gb/s would

[/STRIKE]
Product in the article plus this:
Blackmagic Design: Intensity
= WN !

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
You asked: why don't I rip blu-rays, or do I?

I don't, for two reasons: ethics and logistics.

First, I'm far more prone to stay away from doing stuff like copying media that I haven't purchased than when I was younger. Not because I'm more afraid of ramifications, but rather that I now think it's wrong to do it. This is relevant because I rent more blu-rays than I own, and if I copied, it would be the rentals.

Second is the issue of storing that amount of data. It's just not worth it to me to get a bunch of hard drives and deal with getting it all set up and keeping them running, including back-up drives.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
IMO, if a Blu-ray is worth owning a copy of it's worth buying. If we don't reward studios for good work then we are destined for even more trash.:eek:

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
IMO, if a Blu-ray is worth owning a copy of it's worth buying. If we don't reward studios for good work then we are destined for even more trash.:eek:
And buying a BluRay is still cheaper than going to the theater to watch it.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
So for example one owns a VHS tape with Terminator 2, but then there is laserdisk of T2 which I need to buy (full price) and then there is a DVD edition, VCD, Collectors edition,HD-DVD, BluRay, 3D BluRay, iTunes to play on your iDevice... etc...

How many times one need to buy the same exact movie? I guess I really must have to reward studios - god knows they need my hard earned money to buy a new mansions while evade taxes

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I would rip BD's if it was simple. I've always thought it was stupid that I couldn't put my PS 3 games on the hard drive. It would cut down on load times and make the game playing experience more enjoyable.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I would rip BD's if it was simple. I've always thought it was stupid that I couldn't put my PS 3 games on the hard drive. It would cut down on load times and make the game playing experience more enjoyable.
It IS simple, very simple, and you can rip just the movie and whatever audio and subtitle streams you want and remove the rest, you can even tell the software to remove the hd audio portion of the true-hd or dts-hd ma stream and rip just the core audio if you want which saves even more disc space.

You can also rip your xbox 360 games to the hard drive, though you still need the disc in the drive to play them, but if there is a digital download of the full game you obviously won't need a disc for that, same goes for the PS3, well the download part, they still don't let you rip the discs, but that makes sense since their games are on blu ray discs which contain much more data causing it to be impractical considering the hard drives sizes that are available in the PS3.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Case for Ripping

Have you ever popped in your new BD disc, but only to experience a red screen that says you need to update you BD player? And even after you did, it still wouldn't work?

Some friends came over a few weeks ago and wanted to watch "Water for Elephants ". I had rented it a day before. So I popped it into my $2K Denon Universal player, but it would not play.:eek:

So I said "Screw this, I'll just rip it onto my hard drive". Problem solved.:D

jinjuku

jinjuku

You asked: why don't I rip blu-rays, or do I?

I don't, for two reasons: ethics and logistics.

First, I'm far more prone to stay away from doing stuff like copying media that I haven't purchased than when I was younger.
Where did any body say anything about media you don't own?

jinjuku

jinjuku

Install AnyDVD HD. Install MyMovies. Install Power DVD or Total Media Theater. Setup MyMovies to rip to a folder structure. Put in your BR or DVD and let it rip. Rinse and Repeat.

They even have internet forums where people will help you.

J

jfalk

Audioholic Intern
I have ripped BluRays I own (thanks DVDCatalyst and MakeMKV) in order to put them on my Blackberry playbook. At the moment at least, no other way to watch non-streaming movies there.

N

nickboros

Audioholic
I wish the media wouldn't say anything about Blu-Ray being cracked. It is already bad enough that with my Oppo BDP 83 or PS3 (supposedly two of the faster players in terms of loading time) I have to wait around 2 minutes or more for many Blu-Ray's to even begin doing anything at all, because the movie studios are so worried about people stealing their content. I know that the copy protection is ridiculous (and most other people do as well), since the real pirates probably already know ways around it. But, when stuff like the this gets in the news it likely gets back to the movie studios, who are just going to make it even worse for us consumers who pay to legally watch the Blu-Ray.

K

kevon27

Annoying Poster
Ripping bluray is too costly nowadays. Have you seen the prices of hard drives lately? It seems cheaper to buy movies on sale and just load the discs the ole fashion way - one at a time.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Ripping bluray is too costly nowadays. Have you seen the prices of hard drives lately? It seems cheaper to buy movies on sale and just load the discs the ole fashion way - one at a time.
I'm pretty sure the prices won't stay that way forever. Plus I have over 4.5 TB of space dedicated just for blu ray ripping, and that holds quite a few ripped movies, it would hold a lot more if I compress them, but I choose not to. It's nice to have a large collection ripped to hard drive so you can bypass all the warnings, menues, previews, etc.. and just go straight to the movie. Plus, if you have kids it keeps the discs from getting ruined.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Right this minute, hard drives are way more expensive due to the flooding and other natural disasters throughout Asia (primarily Thailand). Fortunately, I bought myself eight 3TB drives back when they were $120 a piece! I've got a pair of Synology DS411j NAS in a straight "basic" setup, so I've got 24TB of storage for Blu-ray and HD DVD backups that is network accessible from any computer or DLNA client in my home, or via the internet. Also got four 2TB external USB drives - a pair plugged into each DS411j - for 8 more TB, which I use for DVDs. Total cost for 32TB of NAS was under $2000. Granted, that's a good chunk of change, but to me, it makes a heck of a lot more sense than those clunky multi-disc jukebox changers!

I refuse to pay high prices for movies. I wait until they're on sale or clearance. When pretty much all the video stores closed around here, I had a field day and grabbed a ton of movies! Now my buying has slowed down since any new releases I want have to come down in price.

But once I own the disc, shouldn't I be able to watch it in my own home however I like? I'm not a pirate. I'm not downloading movies. I'm not sharing the movies that I own. I'm buying discs and then putting them on my NAS so that I can more easily enjoy them on any screen in my own house, or so that I can watch them on my laptop or even my iPhone or iPad if I really wanted to. I bought the movie. I want to watch it on any screen that I own. Is that really so horrible and unfair to the Studios? Personally, I think not.

And frankly, watching a movie off of my NAS is easier than watching a physical disc. Having AnyDVD HD means I never have to deal with ridiculous firmware updates just to get a disc to play! But it's also the nice interface and the ability to scroll through ALL of my movies and play them with a click of my remote! Rather than having to take up space in my apartment to have my disc collection on display somewhere, and having to sort through it, pull out a disc, put it in a player, blah, blah, blah. Sure, my solution costs more money and is ultra lazy :p But it looks cool, it's fun to use, it's fun to show off, so why not do it?

It sucks if you're trying to set up a Blu-ray server right now because of the hard drive prices. But they'll come back down next year - barring any further disasters, of course :(

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
Right this minute, hard drives are way more expensive due to the flooding and other natural disasters throughout Asia (primarily Thailand). Fortunately, I bought myself eight 3TB drives back when they were $120 a piece! I've got a pair of Synology DS411j NAS in a straight "basic" setup, so I've got 24TB of storage for Blu-ray and HD DVD backups that is network accessible from any computer or DLNA client in my home, or via the internet. Also got four 2TB external USB drives - a pair plugged into each DS411j - for 8 more TB, which I use for DVDs. Total cost for 32TB of NAS was under $2000. Granted, that's a good chunk of change, but to me, it makes a heck of a lot more sense than those clunky multi-disc jukebox changers!
12 discs with 32tb and no backup/redudancy across them? No thanks. haha. If only corporate storage could be had at those prices. I just paid about $500k for ~40tb. Silly.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Where did any body say anything about media you don't own?
I did. I specifically stated that the only blu-rays that I'd be copying would be ones that I didn't own - hence, my ethics come into play and I don't do it.

Btw, where did anybody say anything about media that you do own? :D

jinjuku

jinjuku

I did. I specifically stated that the only blu-rays that I'd be copying would be ones that I didn't own - hence, my ethics come into play and I don't do it.

Btw, where did anybody say anything about media that you do own? :D
So you don't own any BR titles?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
So you don't own any BR titles?
I do, but that's where the logistics portion of my post comes in. It's easier for me to just put the discs in to watch them. I don't own that many or watch them all that often.

I might have come across wrong - I didn't mean to imply that I think copying blu-rays in general is unethical. I think that copying blu-rays that I don't own is unethical.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis