EMPtek ES1010i Subwoofer Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Sporting not one, but two 10" poly-matrix cone woofers, the EMPtek ES1010i subwoofer breaks almost all of the budget conventions. For $600 you can get the ES1010i sub which not only has respectable output, but will easily pass the WAF test. The fit and finish on the EMPtek speakers belies their price and would be understandable if they skimped on performance. Instead, you get a subwoofer with good performance, incredible aesthetics, and a price that will shock you.

Discuss "EMPtek ES1010i Subwoofer Preview" here. Read the article.

N

nickboros

Audioholic
I don't understand why they didn't put an amp with more than 250 Watts in this sub. Yes the $600 price is great, but maybe put a 400 to 500 Watt amp in the sub and add a couple hundred dollars to the price. This would give some more extension and impact, if they slightly altered the design.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I don't understand why they didn't put an amp with more than 250 Watts in this sub. Yes the $600 price is great, but maybe put a 400 to 500 Watt amp in the sub and add a couple hundred dollars to the price. This would give some more extension and impact, if they slightly altered the design.
The amp is rated for continuous power. BASH amps in comparison are typically rated 2X passed their continuous power rating. What matters is the type of output it can achieve which we shall see soon.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
BASH amps in comparison are typically rated 2X passed their continuous power rating.
I'm confused by the wording. Is that 200% of continuous power or 300%? In other words is a 300w BASH amp typically 100w or 150w continuous?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I'm confused by the wording. Is that 200% of continuous power or 300%? In other words is a 300w BASH amp typically 100w or 150w continuous?
a 300 watt rated Bash amp can typically produce that rated power for a few seconds but usually not much longer. Most don't have heat sinks on them. I've spoken to engineers in the field that design subs and they told me a typically rated 300 watt BASH amp will do about 150-200 watts long term.

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
For $600 you can get the ES1010i sub which not only has respectable output, but will easily pass the WAF test.
Kind of tall to pass the WAF test in my opinion. 27.5" tall is really close to some of the SVS cyclinder subs, are from reading other threads those are far from wife acceptable. This might be a good sub if you have small bookshelfs or speakers that lack the midbass. But if you have capable mains I don't see this add to much since it lacks deep extension.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
With a larger enclosure and more driver surface area than a sub with a single 12", would be fair to expect it to play louder/deeper than the HSU that was just reviewed? I'm very curious about this sub's capabilities.

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
The HSU will dig deeper and is built better too. The EMP would have more output in the 35-80hrz but thats about it. The HSU/Outlaw has a better driver too. The HSU and other ID brands have been tested and perform very well, the EMPs subs have never really been highly reguarded. Every comment I could find on various other sites have questioned the EMPs built quality, low powered amps and performance. HSU, Emotiva, and Outlaw are probably the highest reguarded subs in this price range.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
With a larger enclosure and more driver surface area than a sub with a single 12", would be fair to expect it to play louder/deeper than the HSU that was just reviewed? I'm very curious about this sub's capabilities.
I'm curious too. My sister-in-law ordered 2 of these subs for a system I am installing for her. She didn't want the HSU/Outlaw or SVS alternatives b/c she really liked the look of this sub. I will pull some groundplane measurements before I install them. I expect the HSU and SVS to spank this sub below 30Hz, but this sub should be competitive above that. It may provide enough bass overall with room gain to satisfy, especially using two and it matches the rest of the EMP speaker set she ordered.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Thats really cool to hear Gene!

Im excited to hear your thoughts on how 1 & 2 of them perform in your sister-in-laws room. I know you'll tell us room size & placement so we get a good idea of their in room extension capabilities.

I have to admit that this sub does have a very nice look to it with the finishes & the stacked drivers. Much better than Hsu & Outlaw. But hey, once the lights go down & the sound starts, all that matters to me is performance. :)

Im sure you're sister-in-law will be pleased, afterall she will be running 4 10" drivers! :-o

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis