Thiel Universal SmartSub USS Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Thiel Universal SmartSub USS looks to be a very capable 10" sub. If some of the performance claims are to be believed, the $1990 price tag may be quite the bargain. Getting a single 10" driver to play cleanly down to 20Hz is quite the achievement. Anything lower would be amazing. While we have doubts as to how well their SmartSub room correction system actually works, the theory is sound. We'd be very interested to see it in action - especially if we could place it in a traditional, sealed theater versus one that has one or more openings.

Discuss "Thiel Universal SmartSub USS Preview" here. Read the article.

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
short list worthy

I heard numerous people who have THIEL subs, and pair them with the company's main speakers, claim there's nothing that can match them...

I've never heard one of their subs before, but I'm definitely putting this puppy on my short list if (when) I have a future need. :)

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Some people seem to think it's about as good as sub's get...... :p

N

nickboros

Audioholic
If I had $2000 to spend I would be looking at the Seaton Submersive or SVS Ultra 13. If those are too big don't have a nice enough finish, then look at JL audio. This Theil sub seems to be a bit overpriced, for what is offered. It does look nice, but I don't think that justifies the $2000 price tag.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
i think what a lot of people here don't get is that this is a 2 channel sub. the target audience is not going to go out and get a seaton submersive that hits 12khz, as they have no need for that - it's for music. and like most 2 channel gear these days, cost isn't really an issue unfortunately. it's just designed to appeal to a different audience than a HT sub. and no, i'm not saying that a HT sub or dual purpose sub couldn't do a good/better job (i have rythmiks myself), i'm just saying it's a different audience. but that doesn't mean it has to be shiite like that stupid meridian shown on a-holics. this looks like a nice sub, thiel has always built some nice gear.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I'm thinking you meant "12hz" ratso
I have a better time believing this sub could hit 12kHz than 12Hz at meaningful output ;) I will try to line up a review for Josh.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
1) Rel makes the best subs, not Theil so I don't think it's going to be a very good sub.
2) small drivers have the fastest bass, 10" is too big for musical bass
3) How do I get time alignment to my Theil mains with this subwoofer??? Should I place my mains on top of the sub?
4) Does the amp come in a tube version?

:D

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
nope i meant 12 khz. i want my sub to shatter wine glasses at 100 yards ;)
You don't need 12kHz for this, as this test shows... for this specific type of wineglass... resonance is at 1168 Hz, the Thiel's should probably be fine with this task :p
Glass shattering

Not sure about if they can do this at 100 yards, though?

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
1) Rel makes the best subs, not Theil so I don't think it's going to be a very good sub.
2) small drivers have the fastest bass, 10" is too big for musical bass
3) How do I get time alignment to my Theil mains with this subwoofer??? Should I place my mains on top of the sub?
4) Does the amp come in a tube version?

:D
I either don't get, or disagree with, just about everything you've said here...

Ricci

Ricci

Bassaholic
:eek:

I don't think you can even get a handful of subs that will have 11Hz as its -3db point regardless of price.
I've got one that I designed that does. Its a little "different" than these others. The port alone is larger than the sw-311 that was reviewed.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
LOL Ricci - that thing is ahhh needless to say quite large pal...

69.25" Tall
41.5" Wide
22" Deep

118.6db @10Hz
120.4db @15Hz
124.0db @20Hz
114.5db @25Hz
114.2db @30Hz
117.7db @ 40 Hz

LOL !!!

Latest posts

newsletter