ClearStream Micron XG Indoor Antenna Video Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Most of the television antenna's we've installed in the past few years have been larger outdoor units, set up specifically to capture all of the available stations in our local area. Where we live, smack dab between two major cities, we don't have the easy access to broadcast towers enjoyed by people who happen to live in the cities where these signals originate. Now, when Antennas Direct claimed to have developed a new Clearstream indoor model that was capable of hitting some pretty impressive numbers, well that was rather difficult to imagine. So, with our interest piqued, we grabbed it and hooked it up.

Discuss "ClearStream Micron XG Indoor Antenna Video Review" here. Read the article.

Incidentally, for anyone who's a fan, this video was done in one take with no teleprompter... just thought that was a fun tidbit.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
This guy is good. Being able to speak like that with out a prompter is a sign he's truly passionate about the topic.

F

Funboy

Audioholic Intern
more channels...

would be useful information if compared to how many are picked up by some standard rabbit ears.

F

fbov

Enthusiast
Presentation skills aside, this is the first time I've seen someone ostensibly knowledgable talk about an "HD Antenna," one that "... takes advantage of the way digital and HD television signals are now broadcast."

This notion is false. Digital and analog broadcasting use identical reception systems, the difference is all in what you do with the signal at the opposite end from the antenna.

There are practical issues to be sure, such as intolerance to drop-outs that make digital TV an all-or-nothing proposition, requiring more antenna for a digital signal than analog. A reduced broadcast spectrum (few VHF-low stations and none above Ch 52/700MHz) also allows for a more compact antenna, especially if VHF-high is also not required. But these are gain- and bandwidth-related, not encoding-related changes so analog/digital remain irrelevant.

By way of review content, I'd like to know what real channels (not virtual) you normally get, what channels this antenna added, and from what transmitter distances? VHF-low is not gone and 2 of 5 stations in my area are VHF-high. If your 30 stations are virtual stations from 10 UHF channels, I could lose stations I currently receive.

Then again, maybe they're on to something, have a unique technology that works better (fractal antennas come to mind at that size and form factor), but I see no evidence of it in this review. At least you didn't quote amplifier gain as an important antenna characteristic (it's not, unless you have a long cable run).

Have fun,
Frank

If you know anything about antennas, the physical makeup will give you a hint at what it's good at. This one is particularly good for high VHF (Ch 7-13) and core UHF (Ch 14-51). If you want to pick up VHF frequencies at lower power (I'm describing my neighborhood), then you probably need something additional, like a ClearStream5.

What Andrew was referring to in that statement above was the prevalence of UHF and high power VHF signals, for which an antenna like this is perfect.

Incidentally, the 4th station we didn't get was a lower power VHF.

And as you know, Frank, the new antennas no longer make use of those "weather vane-shaped" structures, which is why we talk about them as being "digital" or "HD". I've seen guys want to go out and use these huge old-school antennas when in reality they aren't necessary for HD and DTV signals in most locations.

M

m_vanmeter

Full Audioholic
yep, a little less "sales" and a little more quantitative information please.

a coat hanger with an in-line amplifier will receive signals, maybe better, maybe not better than simple rabbit ears (VHF) or a $0.99 loop UHF antenna. So, how was this newest and "greatest" indoor antenna any better that existing amplified antennas - head to head tests anyone ??

What about directionality with the reflector panel ? Do you aim the flat side towards a broadcast tower ? Signal from the sides ?? Signal from the back side with the reflector in the way ??

So many questions, so few answers

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis