Pioneer Elite PRO-X5FD Series LED TVs Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Pioneer did an excellent and convincing demo of their new Elite PRO-X5FD series LED backlit TVs in 60" & 70" sizes. Pioneer is (openly) partnering with Sharp and these new TVs make use of the company's 10th generation LCD panels. They were awarded both 2D and 3D THX certification (meaning they paid money to THX and got some tweaks and a logo). The new televisions include Smart TV functionality with Netflix, VUDU, Blockbuster (yeah, they'll be around long!), Skype and more (there was no mention as to the methodology for acquiring a compatible camera). The demo placed a lot of emphasis on black levels and contrast ratio - both of which were designed to specifically take on and surpass the Kuro look, which was the starting point for these TVs. The Kuro was the best TV I'd ever seen. These TVs were very bit as good as I remembered those being.

Discuss "Pioneer Elite PRO-X5FD Series LED TVs Preview" here. Read the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The title got me all excited that they were getting back into the plasma game...but the TVs are LCD. :) Clint, you might want to update the title. Thanks.

jmilton7043

jmilton7043

Audioholic Intern
Double take...

Yes...I was all excited about the new PLASMA. But these panels are LCD.:(

havok2022

Enthusiast
Same as the other said, fix your subject line. I too was duped into reading in hopes of a new Elite plasma.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Ditto Duped

"Kids - stop playing with those heavy metal objects I gave you and step away from the tv."

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
And the displays are from Sharp. Pioneer was a collaborator and licensed the name ELITE as well.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
I have never seen a display "sunning" but I understand what you meant.

Thanks for the heads up. I better start saving my pennies.

A

AVTguy

Audioholic Intern
Had the Elite in our showroom for about three weeks now and...

I've had the 60" Elite on my showroom floor for about three weeks now (apparently we were the first to get it in the LA area).

First and foremost I'm an ELITE lover, and I recommend Plasma TVs to as many people as possible with the lighting condition that permits it. My parents have an Elite, my grandparents have an Elite, my best friend has an Elite, my A/V mentor has 6 Elites in his home, and I used to own an Elite, and back in 2006/7/8 when we all used to sell Pioneers and Pioneer Elites, it was just an "okay" saturday if you only moved one of the 42's and one of the 50's, and when you did the triple crown (42,50,60) you were having a good day. Bottom line, I've been around more ELITES than most, and I've setup and installed more than I can remember.

Now here's my thoughts...

Previous to receiving the Elite my favorite retail screens were the Samsung D8000 series plasmas, the Sony XBR929, and the 70" sharps (cuz hey they're 70 inch!!). The D8000 and XBR had hands down the best picture in the Store. In response to what someone said earlier about the Sharp 835 series, they make a very nice screen, and value wise they are a heck of a buy, but they don't hold a flame to the top Sony LCD/LED or Samsung Plamsa IMO.

Then we got the ELITE...AND EVERYTHING CHANGED. Clients have been asking me for months what I thought about the new ELITES that were coming out, and all I could say was, "I HOPE its the next TV I truly want to buy." I say hope because that's all I could do. We all knew basically what the unit was, but no one had seen it except for a demo, and there was little coverage on that line show.

So here's the deal. THIS IS THE BEST PICTURE YOU CAN BUY RETAIL RIGHT NOW PERIOD.

The blacks Trump the XBR. The Color saturation and accuracy beat out the Samsung D8000 (to my eye). The motion processing beats out the Sony XBR for sure, and feels way more like a Plasma TV than any of the other LCD/LED tvs on my showroom (we carry and show the FULL lineup of Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, Sharp, and Mitsubishi).

We have it on display next to a Panasonic GT30 (which looks great I might add), and with regular TV content, the ELITE blows the Panny out of the water. Its clearly better in every way. The CLARITY of the set is truly what makes it great. THERE IS ZERO picture noise. Its truly like you're looking through a window.

We've played a ton of content on it since we put it up. The first thing I wanted to check out was THE DARK KNIGHT. The shots of the Hong Kong Skyline at night with Batman gliding down to the building was just AWESOME. INKY INKY blacks with virtually Zero haloing around anything lit up truly showed me why it demands a price tag that is twice that of the Sony XBR.

After the Dark Knight wowed me, I dropped in my new copy of The Island on Blu-Ray. The whole opening sequence with the Speed Yacht, and the ocean and cliffside felt like I was there. The depth of field this TV creates is like Glasses free 3D (and that's a quote from multiple clients, although I share the same thought).

For the final demo, and what I've kept in the Elite Blu-Ray since the inital check out, we have AVATAR. Just go straight to chapter 17 when Jake Sully gets his bird, sit back and enjoy. The depth of field, the color, the motion, the WARMTH, all of it make it the best I've seen that section yet (this is my AVATAR demo scene).

I have played with the set with both the Y pixel on and off, and while I know on paper that it messes with the accuracy, all it seems to do is make things that much more "THERE". Ive watched pre-season football and some college games on it, and the grass just looks GREEN (and not like the look on the rest of the Quattron TVs). This was something I was very happy about because the old Elites always had a little trouble with the green.

I really like the User interface, and it is its own design, and not just a copy of the Sharp TV interface. I cannot comment on the Internet Streaming as we have not done any setup for that, and since I'm not an owner I can't tell you about the Elite Live support (but how cool is that!!).

Well I've written a ton, and if you've read it, I can only bet that you're an ELITE fan just as I am. Go to your local ELITE dealer and check this thing out, cuz its the first "Breathtaking" TV I've seen in a while.

If you're in Southern California in the Calabasas, Thousand Oaks, Valley, come check out the Elite at my showroom, Video & Audio Center.

Long Live the ELITE,

-Adam

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
Don't lose any of your excitement for this new Elite LCD/LED TV. I too am a pure plasma-head lover, but this display changed me.

I agree with everything Adam said and more.

The peak brightness in ISF day is amazing, while delivering the lowest MLL of any TV available.

Motion resolution is not as good as the best plasma, but is not far off and it's definitely better than any other LCD panel. Which is also true for the off axes image quality and blooming, which plagues all LCD/LED panels is almost non existent.

The color accuracy and color saturation is dead on to rec 709, hitting the bulls eyes on the primary and secondary colors.

This is also the best 3D TV I have seen so far as the high luminance output and very minimal ghosting delivers a stunning 3D experience.

Screen uniformity is near perfect on a white screen.

Overall a top performer, which is mostly due to the extremely high contrast ratio; super white whites with no clipping and the deepest blacks with minimal crushing.

I am very excited to see this display in our 9/17 flat panel shoot-out event as we have it butt next to the Panasonic's VT30 and Sony's HX929.

This display is the real deal!

-Robert

B

BMW

Junior Audioholic
I too am shopping

I am looking for the next big display, 70" as I have a lot of light sources and a projector really isn't an option. My Sony 70" is failing, surprise and it will be interesting to see this display go against the Panasonic VT30. Will your comparison be posted here? It would be hard to go down in size.
BMW

B

BMW

Junior Audioholic
Shootout rescheduled

Don't lose any of your excitement for this new Elite LCD/LED TV. I too am a pure plasma-head lover, but this display changed me.

I agree with everything Adam said and more.

The peak brightness in ISF day is amazing, while delivering the lowest MLL of any TV available.

Motion resolution is not as good as the best plasma, but is not far off and it's definitely better than any other LCD panel. Which is also true for the off axes image quality and blooming, which plagues all LCD/LED panels is almost non existent.

The color accuracy and color saturation is dead on to rec 709, hitting the bulls eyes on the primary and secondary colors.

This is also the best 3D TV I have seen so far as the high luminance output and very minimal ghosting delivers a stunning 3D experience.

Screen uniformity is near perfect on a white screen.

Overall a top performer, which is mostly due to the extremely high contrast ratio; super white whites with no clipping and the deepest blacks with minimal crushing.

I am very excited to see this display in our 9/17 flat panel shoot-out event as we have it butt next to the Panasonic's VT30 and Sony's HX929.

This display is the real deal!

-Robert
I noticed that the flat panel display shootout has been rescheduled for 10/8 and 10/9

W

Woofer

Audioholic Intern
Wow this TV sounds wicked. =( i can't afford it
Precisely.

I've an older Elite I got on a close-out just before the Kuros arrived on scene, which in turn was just before Pioneer gracefully bowed out. The story I got from multiple sources was the TVs were too expensive to produce (more hands-on labor than other brands, higher component costs) and they weren't moving fast enough at profit sustaining prices. The inferior competition was eating their lunch in a slumping economy, literally in the face of people who couldn't or wouldn't pay for the difference. If these new TVs are again substantially more expensive than the best of the rest, what's to say the entire cycle doesn't begin again?

inmypjs

inmypjs

Junior Audioholic
I first saw this TV at BestBuy and I thought Pioneer was back in business producing the Kuro when I saw the Elite logo. I was in awe when I saw the picture quality. I then learned that it's an LCD and not plasma! And that it was made by Sharp of all people. I remembered that Pioneer was collaborating with Sharp in producing LCD tvs using their 10th gen panels before they went out of the TV business. I don't know if this Elite LCD from Sharp surpasses Kuro's KRP-500M/600M plasma in inky blacks and contrast but I think it did (Robert of ValueElectronics maybe you can enlighten us on this since you did the HDTV shootout). However, when the Kuros can be had for less than $2000, this new Elite is selling currently at the lowest price for $4,348 as I have seen on Amazon so one can wonder if it would suffer the same fate as the Kuro in this weak economy we are having. They also do not have a size smaller than 60" for those who do not have space for their living room so that makes their market even smaller. If one can't afford the bigger size but want the best, Sharp can make smaller Elite TVs to broaden their market. Some people will compromise on the size just to get the latest and greatest TV.

Maybe Pioneer shouldn't have sold their plasma technology to Panasonic. Maybe like what they did with Sharp, they should have collaborated with Panasonic instead to produce the Panasonic Kuro. Right now, Panasonic owns the blackest blacks with the VT series (although FlatPanlsHD said that the B&O 7-55 and LG LE8500 LCDs are blacker which I dont believe) but they have been having problems with floating and rising blacks. Obviously they haven't used Kuro tech on their sets, otherwise, they will not have these problems. If Pio and Panny worked together, we would have had the perfect plasma by now.

I never liked LCD TVs because they have this soap opera effect in them that makes lighting and people look unnatural but if this TV doesn't have this effect then I think Sharp (and Pioneer) has perfected the LCD and caught up with plasma in all levels. If they make a 42" next year and make the price reasonable, I'll replace my current Panasonic G10 in my bedroom. Right now I have my sights set on a Panny VT55 for the living room at less than $2k.

Last edited:
zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
I've had my Pioneer Elite 60" for three years now. Bought it new from Best Buy a few months before Pioneer announced it was going to quit the TV game. I've yet to see another TV I've enjoyed as much, but after seeing these new Sharp Elites, I have to say they do look very good. If I was TV shopping, it's what I would buy. Luckily I don't think it looks much better than my Pioneer Elite, so I'll keep buying amps and speakers and leave the display alone!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis