Blockbuster Canada Closes Remaining Stores

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2011/08/31/blockbuster-canada-close.html

This commenter was reading my mind:

"Blockbuster was pretty awesome in it's day. Remember cross checking someone into the display on a Friday night to grab the last copy of a new release? Today most of you lemmings are extolling the virtues of Netflix...unlimited movies at 8 bucks a month. Netflix can barely deliver dvd quality yet alone blu-ray. Why did you buy an HDTV if you're not willing to give it the fuel it needs to deliver the best performance? And don't get tech on this one...no online service can deliver 1080p/24fps and 5.1 or 7.1 dts audio at an uncompressed (high quality) bitrate...only a physical blu ray disc can do that. Netflix is the fast food of video - why you bought an HDTV in the first place is questionable."

In Canada, Netflix doesn't offer a mail-order service.:( I don't want to buy every BD that I'd like to watch. There is another smaller rental shop near my home - I'll have to check them out. That said, I'll have to keep a lookout for the closeout sale and see what kinda deals I can get.

It's just bizarre that as technology has enabled us to get great sound and picture quality, so many people are opting for worse.:rolleyes:

Edit: Commandeered thread for use with a news post we made on this

Well, it was only a matter of time, and we're certain the US stores will quickly follow: Blockbuster Canada has announced that it will be closing its remaining stores. This was announced after 150 Blockbuster Canada stores were already closed this past June. This is bad news for the local economies, since the company employs approximately 2500 full and part-time workers throughout the country. Blockbuster led the market but was consistently slow to innovate in the dawn of the digital era. Instead, they played it slow and cautious, all but avoiding streaming services until they became reactionary as Netflix began to dominate the marketplace to a level that began to quickly decimate the stores.

Read the full article on Blockbuster Canada Closes Stores

Last edited by a moderator:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

"Blockbuster was pretty awesome in it's day. Remember cross checking someone into the display on a Friday night to grab the last copy of a new release? Today most of you lemmings are extolling the virtues of Netflix...unlimited movies at 8 bucks a month. Netflix can barely deliver dvd quality yet alone blu-ray. Why did you buy an HDTV if you're not willing to give it the fuel it needs to deliver the best performance? And don't get tech on this one...no online service can deliver 1080p/24fps and 5.1 or 7.1 dts audio at an uncompressed (high quality) bitrate...only a physical blu ray disc can do that. Netflix is the fast food of video - why you bought an HDTV in the first place is questionable."

In Canada, Netflix doesn't offer a mail-order service.:( I don't want to buy every BD that I'd like to watch. There is another smaller rental shop near my home - I'll have to check them out. That said, I'll have to keep a lookout for the closeout sale and see what kinda deals I can get.

It's just bizarre that as technology has enabled us to get great sound and picture quality, so many people are opting for worse.:rolleyes:
Convenience and Laziness are two major cornerstones of modern innovation
Like you said - it's essentially fast food - it's cheap (vs purchasing blurays), fast(almost instantaneous - no need to drive to get the movie) and good enough quality (for the common folk)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't need to watch everything in HD, though given the choice I would :) Oh, and Netflix does stream 720p/1080i now, just not for everything.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I don't need to watch everything in HD, though given the choice I would :) Oh, and Netflix does stream 720p/1080i now, just not for everything.
In 5/7.1? A quick google search indicated that surround sound was being planned (announced about a year ago), but I couldn't find a result stating that it had been implemented.

As for the 720p/1080i signal - is it any more compressed than what we get from satellite/cable? PQ is an issue with a 104" screen.:eek:

If BD rentals become a problem for me, I may have to break down and give Netflix a shot.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Several shows are HD and 5.1 streaming on PS3. I don't know if that's made it's way to other hardware (TVs, blu-ray players, computers). I haven't seen it on my Mac or PC, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. I also don't know if they have any 7.1 streaming shows.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Several shows are HD and 5.1 streaming on PS3. I don't know if that's made it's way to other hardware (TVs, blu-ray players, computers). I haven't seen it on my Mac or PC, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. I also don't know if they have any 7.1 streaming shows.
Yeah, their website could be a bit more primitive, if they really put their minds to it.:rolleyes:

Seriously, the info they provide must be deliberately skimpy, because nobody can tell me that it's the best they can do!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The PS3 streams in 5.1, with some being DD+. All other devices are still stereo only; NO 7.1. Yes, you can stream to computers in HD also, not sure about other devices, but my Panny doesn't seem to get HD - that is connection speed dependent.

For newer material, the clarity is pretty good overall IMO, but the quality isn't always as good as broadcast HD (also connection speed dependent).

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I agree that clarity is good. I think that the HD streams are fantastic. My TV is 50", so I won't see issues that you'd see at 104". Even over wifi (at about 12mbps), the video and audio quality have impressed me a lot.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I stream wireless to my PS3 also and no complaints about video or audio quality. Video is a bit pixelated when I first start most things, but once it gets buffered adequately (after about 30 seconds or so) it is fine.

I don't know if everyone heard that or not, but Apple TV just dropped streaming of TV shows due to lack of interest.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
Netflix is a bargain for eight bucks a month. I can't see using it for "critical" viewing, but I like that I can start something on the big screen, continue it later on the computer and sometimes on my phone, at my convenience. It doesn't replace blue ray at all, but then, my main source of blue ray rentals (Blockbuster) is gone and Red Box is very limited, so Netflix is a supplement or something to watch when nothing's available otherwise. Quality-wise, it's mediocre, but then I can't watch a blue ray on a big screen when I'm riding the train to work, so quality is a separate issue.

The interesting question is how long it can continue. Their stock crashed on Friday after it was revealed that Starz movies (lots of new ones) wouldn't be on NF due to royalty disagreement. Netflix got cheap contracts with distributors when nobody believed in streaming, now contracts are expiring and the distributors want more money if they renew. Paying more to distributors and keeping the service at $8/month may not be possible. They already had to separate their mail-out service from streaming, but what now?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Starz deal goes until Feb. so they have plenty of time to renegotiate. This isn't the first time Netflix and Starz have had issues with each other, and within that window of time I expect a new deal with them will show up.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Personally, I think its bullsh?t that Blockbuster is closing. Up here in Canada in the land of frozen reindeer dung, the infrastructure just isn't good enough to support streaming of video regardless of supplier without artifacting showing up. If I'm paying for a service, I want it artifact free in full HD. Coupled with inferior bandwidth, there is the ridiculous data cap that carries slap on us nad heaven forbid if we go over. "Sir, you have forfeited your left nut for consuming more than your allocated share by 1 MByte." Plus we DO NOT gget the selction.

That the beauty of BluRay discs. There is no artifacting, jaggies, sound dropping, etc. Its high def as its meant to be seen/heard.

Yep I'm pissed because we are cuaght between a rock and a hard place.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
After listening to Davemcc talk about what NF is up there I think you guys need to patiently wait for the episodes of Gilligan's Island that were filmed in color. As soon as S. Dakota is done with them you are next on the list. ;)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
After listening to Davemcc talk about what NF is up there I think you guys need to patiently wait for the episodes of Gilligan's Island that were filmed in color. As soon as S. Dakota is done with them you are next on the list. ;)
Whats really fustrating is the pro I-tunes people don't see a problem with it. One guy is paying $65/mo to get the extra 120Gig cap. I can rent 6 to 8 Blu Rays for that much money not that I can watch that many flicks per month.

I'm also suspecting that Netflix and others will "price adjust" a few more times within the next few years so that it will cost just as much to stream as it does to rent.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Sounds like that commentator should take advantage of the opportunity and come out with a 1080i / 7.1 streaming service for say $11.99 / month. I mean he already has hit the nail on the head. Get a guy with a couple of years of programming under the belt and knock out version 1 in a month or so. Can't wait to see his awesome new site with stellar PQ and a modern catalog.

C

Casey01

Enthusiast
Yep, Alex you are a really bright guy. I don't if it is just you or are all Americans naturally dumb.

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
"It's just bizarre that as technology has enabled us to get great sound and picture quality, so many people are opting for worse." - GO-NAD! points out the similar issue that we have seen w/mp3 music. There is an option for lossless and high bit-rate music but is it being adopted by the masses? I don't think so.

Anyone looking at a business model of this genre (digital based movies & music) would be foolish to offer anything else but what the masses will purchase. There will always be niche options and those too will prosper - just not in the way those who cater to larger audiences can.

The masses want it cheap (free) and fast (instant)!

I am all for HD video & audio streaming but I believe we are a little further away from it being the norm than what our current internet infrastructure can support.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Yep, Alex you are a really bright guy. I don't if it is just you or are all Americans naturally dumb.
I'm actually Canadian but I'm going to fix your rep for you for not having any sense of humor and for being stupid enough to insult a whole country based on an assumption ... you mud duck.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I'm actually Canadian but I'm going to fix your rep for you for not having any sense of humor and for being stupid enough to insult a whole country based on an assumption ... you mud duck.
I'll do you one better Alex....

jinjuku

jinjuku

Take some time out. Reflect on what you said and trust me: You'll only get away with it one more time;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis