NAD T 748 7.1 3D Receiver Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
If you are on the market for a NAD receiver, the T 748 is their newest entry level model. At only $900, you get the legendary (according to the marketing material) NAD sound and not a lot else. There is an OSD but you'll have to connect a composite cable to your display to see it. On the flip side, you do get NADs proprietary EARS DSP and 7.1 channel analogue pre-outs for connecting an external amplifier. You'll just have to live without video scaling, networking, zone 2 audio, more than 4 HDMI inputs, native iDevice integration, a second subwoofer output, the newest DSPs that support height/width channels, a GUI...

Discuss "NAD T 748 7.1 3D Receiver Preview" here. Read the article.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The OSD is over composite only? In a $900 receiver? I like living in the past, but...

C

Casey01

Enthusiast
I am not sure, but after recently reading some of the comments about these less feature laden and less expensive line of AVRs from buyers on NAD's own website, it would seem the reviews are, at best, mixed.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Kinda depends on if you want features or clean driven power. I'm mixed, why can't these high end manufacturers do both and not charge $2000 and up, I mean way up.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Kinda depends on if you want features or clean driven power. I'm mixed, why can't these high end manufacturers do both and not charge $2000 and up, I mean way up.
Given the 748's specs and the 747's lab measurements (I assume the 748 would yield similar results in a similiar test) I agree with you. If someone wants more clean power one should look pass the 748:D. It's standard HTM lab measurements for power output at 0.1% (can still call it clean I suppose) THD will likely be about 20% more for 2 channel and 60% more for ACD based on test results on the 747. Actually it does not offer much features either relative to others in this price range. I guess for brand loyalty, NAD fans could find reasons in acquiring one, otherwise something like an Onkyo 609 seems to offer much more (no preouts though) for half the price. Surprisingly the 748 is only 0.5 lbs heavier than the entry level Onkyo.

T748 specs:
FTC 2 x 80W
Full Disclosure Power (all channels driven simultaneously) 7 x 40W
IHF Dynamic Power 8 ohms
4 ohms
2 x 110W
2 x 160W
Total Harmonic Distortion at rated power <0.08%
IM distortion at rated power <0.08%
Damping Factor, 8 ohms >60
Input Sensitivity and Impedance 250mV/47kohms
Frequency Response ±0.5dB (ref. 1kHz, 20Hz-20kHz)
Signal/Noise Ratio >100dB (ref. rated power at 8 ohms, A-WTD)
>90dB (ref. 1W at 8ohms, A-WTD)

According Home Theater Magazine's lab measurements:

Onkyo 609:

HT Labs Measures
Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 81.0 watts
1% distortion at 95.1 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 77.7 watts
1% distortion at 88.9 watts

Analog frequency response in Direct mode:
–0.05 dB at 10 Hz
–0.01 dB at 20 Hz
+0.03 dB at 20 kHz
–2.56 dB at 50 kHz

NAD T747

HT Labs Measures
Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 99.7 watts
1% distortion at 114.0 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 66.8 watts
1% distortion at 79.8 watts

Analog frequency response in Bypass mode:
–0.13 dB at 10 Hz
–0.04 dB at 20 Hz
–0.06 dB at 20 kHz
–3.05 dB at 50 kHz

Unless they improved it on the 748, the 609 has much better cross talk specs and the 747 has slightly better SNR.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Onkyo is going to be the last receiver I look at based on all the poor customer service complaints I have seen here and AVSforum. Onkyo may supply a little more power but they are paying for it in premature component failure. Until Onkyo begins to clean up their act from both a reliabilty and after sales service, I'll be telling al my friends to look else where.

The specs on NAD still proove one thing, its still very much inaudable and the exercise is academic. :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Onkyo is going to be the last receiver I look at based on all the poor customer service complaints I have seen here and AVSforum. Onkyo may supply a little more power but they are paying for it in premature component failure. Until Onkyo begins to clean up their act from both a reliabilty and after sales service, I'll be telling al my friends to look else where.

The specs on NAD still proove one thing, its still very much inaudable and the exercise is academic. :)
Onkyo does seem to have more issues reported on forums like this. May be there are simply more people who own Onkyo AVRs but may be not. I wish we know who are the top 5 in terms of volume.

I am a little surprise this NAD weighs only 25.3 lbs.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
If you are on the market for a NAD receiver, the T 748 is their newest entry level model. At only $900, you get the legendary (according to the marketing material) NAD sound and not a lot else. There is an OSD but you'll have to connect a composite cable to your display to see it. On the flip side, you do get NADs proprietary EARS DSP and 7.1 channel analogue pre-outs for connecting an external amplifier. You'll just have to live without video scaling, networking, zone 2 audio, more than 4 HDMI inputs, native iDevice integration, a second subwoofer output, the newest DSPs that support height/width channels, a GUI...

Discuss "NAD T 748 7.1 3D Receiver Preview" here. Read the article.
The 748 is based on the HK1600 which now sells for $249...

Just my $0.02... ;)

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Are they owned by a parent company?
No..
The NAD AVRs are built by Anam Electronics which designs/builds the Harman/Kardon AVRs...
Anam was previously a joint venture started in Korea with Matsushita/Panasonic, now their China factory supplies many brands including Yamaha, Denon, Teac, Marantz, Proficient Audio, SpeakerCraft.

Here is a link for more info.

http://www.aname.co.kr/eng/business/Audio.asp

Just my $0.02... ;)

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
For those bringing up Onkyo....

We had 3.... Count em' 3!!!! Onkyo 609s fail consecutively on the same project all within days of each other. Our client had read that Onkyo was cheapest & best... hmmmmmmmm, where do I see that strange combo recommendation a lot?

Client requested specifically Onkyo 609 based on forum speculation & "user" reviews. We got it for him.... thrice. & Thrice it exploded. Multichannel amp section... POP! Next unit, Zone 2 amp.... POP! Next unit..... Front L/R... intermitant. It's rare that our clients spec their own gear and I usually hate it when they do because of stuff like this. Spent a lot of our time for no reason testing our lines to make sure it wasn't us and reinstalling the units. And then even more of our time wasted taking the units back & forth between client, us, & the rep to exchange it. What a waste of time..... Thrice.

We replaced it with a Pioneer Elite & it was fine.

As far as the NAD product goes I would stay away. We brought in a sample once & were way underwhelmed. Kind of a running joke for us.

A really nice Onkyo product that I would endorse ismtheir "High Performance" Preamp. http://onkyousa.com/prod_class.cfm?class=Preamplifier . It's been solid for us in our reference system so far. Recevier wise.... Not a fan any more, unfortunately.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

We had 3.... Count em' 3!!!! Onkyo 609s fail consecutively on the same project all within days of each other. Our client had read that Onkyo was cheapest & best... hmmmmmmmm, where do I see that strange combo recommendation a lot?

Client requested specifically Onkyo 609 based on forum speculation & "user" reviews. We got it for him.... thrice. & Thrice it exploded. Multichannel amp section... POP! Next unit, Zone 2 amp.... POP! Next unit..... Front L/R... intermitant. It's rare that our clients spec their own gear and I usually hate it when they do because of stuff like this. Spent a lot of our time for no reason testing our lines to make sure it wasn't us and reinstalling the units. And then even more of our time wasted taking the units back & forth between client, us, & the rep to exchange it. What a waste of time..... Thrice.

As far as the NAD product goes I would stay away. We brought in a sample once & were way underwhelmed. Kind of a running joke for us.

A really nice Onkyo product that I would endorse ismtheir "High Performance" Preamp. http://onkyousa.com/prod_class.cfm?class=Preamplifier . It's been solid for us in our reference system so far. Recevier wise.... Not a fan any more, unfortunately.
Well, it's about time you got back to us on Audioholics, brotha!.:D

That Onkyo PR-SC5508 pre-pro reminds me A LOT of the Integra.;)

So now I know to never recommend any lower-end Onkyo AVRs.

What about that flagship Onkyo TX-NR5008?

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR5008-9-2-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B003UES8NO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1313590141&sr=8-2

So for lower-end AVRs, people should try Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer?

Are the lower-end Pioneer any good?

Recent issues of HK receivers have scared a lot of people too.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

I would not touch any Onkyo products until they clean up their after sales customer service and their designs and if given the choice between NAD and Onkyo, it would be NAD. They have had their QC problems in past but seemed to have gottenback into the game again. I'm waiting for Onkyo to saddle up.

My nod still goes to Yamaha for best after sales service and reliability followed by Denon.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
My nod still goes to Yamaha for best after sales service and reliability followed by Denon.
Base on user feedback on forums I have to agree Yamaha is top and Denon second. After that may be Pioneer, followed by Marantz. As for Onkyo, I would now put Sony before them.:D Actually I brothers and friends who own Sony gear and never heard of one single failure, not even the cheap entry level ones, strange but true, at least to me.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Base on user feedback on forums I have to agree Yamaha is top and Denon second. After that may be Pioneer, followed by Marantz. As for Onkyo, I would now put Sony before them.:D Actually I brothers and friends who own Sony gear and never heard of one single failure, not even the cheap entry level ones, strange but true, at least to me.
What I find really fascinating that QC is higher for Yamaha and Denon but are being manufactured in China. It goes to show that quality can come out o China as long as someone is watching tehm with a bigh stick behind their back. :D

Your Sony commnet holds true as well. Not noted for prodigious power output, these things keep on running fault free which would indicate that they have some very solid designs. Its their marketing department that needs to be reeled in a little. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
How did Sony get such a bad rep anyway?:D

In terms of power output?

In terms of pre-pro measurements, even this $300 Sony STR-DN1000 has stellar measurements:

THD+N was less than 0.010 percent; Crosstalk was –92.18 decibels left to right and –86.60 dB right to left; The signal-to-noise ratio was –107.74 dBrA.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/sony-str-dn1000-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STR-DN1010-7-1-Channel-Receiver-Compatible/dp/B003JC3Z58/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313680714&sr=8-1

And if Sony's reliability is also very good, then why such a bad rep?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

In terms of pre-pro measurements, even this $300 Sony STR-DN1000 has stellar measurements:

THD+N was less than 0.010 percent; Crosstalk was –92.18 decibels left to right and –86.60 dB right to left; The signal-to-noise ratio was –107.74 dBrA.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STR-DN1010-7-1-Channel-Receiver-Compatible/dp/B003JC3Z58/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313680714&sr=8-1

I think I told you....a real imaginary marketing department writing the power specs. ;)

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General

Not rocket science..
As audio accelerated into popularity during the 60s' & 70s' Sony built some incredible audio components..
Top of the line, high grade, Japanese build-quality..
However as the market expanded into the mass market & big-box sellers during the 80s' & 90s' they shifted gears to this price driven commodity segment..

Just my $0.02... ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis