Smoke and Mirrors and Upgraditus

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Upgraditus. In the AV community, it is a real phenomenon. What is it? Well, simply defined, it is the feeling that something in your AV system needs to be changed or added. Unfortunately, manufacturers know all about upgraditus. They're counting on it. But just because a speaker manufacturer is changing the model number and the shape of the speaker, doesn't mean they are making a better one. When upgraditus strikes, and it will, make an informed decision. Take your time. Don't be blinded by the hype, and most importantly... DON'T PANIC!

Discuss "Smoke and Mirrors and Upgraditus" here. Read the article.

U

Ubermod

Audiophyte
Upgraditus

So Tom, Are you telling me that if my wife says, "Yes, you can buy that McIntosh amp." that it will be a worthwhile upgrade over my emotiva amp?

K

kevon27

Annoying Poster
Why buy new? Don't we all have to go through a burn-in period for any new gear?
Your speakers have to be burnt in for xxx amount of hours before they can begin to sound just okay. Same goes with a new amp.
So if we stick with the burn-in idea.. Your new, fresh out of the box purchase will never sound as good as your current, already used stuff.;)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
This entire industry exists by fanning the flames of audio nervosa on those who are too weak-minded to realize the difference between the addition of minor, incremental features that look impressive in the ad copy and the advent of real performance enhancements.

C

Casey01

Enthusiast
For those that enjoy this hobby and are forever looking for the latest and greatest, what eventually happens is when you catch "upgraditis" AGAIN and after you go through the process a number of times, when you bring that new piece of A/V equipment home and hook it up, you finally realize that what you already had was about as good as it gets!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
This is tha basis for an old but accurate axiom.

For those that enjoy this hobby and are forever looking for the latest and greatest, what eventually happens is when you catch "upgraditis" AGAIN and after you go through the process a number of times, when you bring that new piece of A/V equipment home and hook it up, you finally realize that what you already had was about as good as it gets!
"Sometimes you have to spend a lot of money only to learn that you didn't have to spend a lot of money to get the same results."

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
I have upgradeitis! I don't try to defend it. I could have turned out worse- ie Politician or Heroin Addict. LOL:p

C

crackinhedz

Audiophyte
...wonder if the guys over there running the Audioholics Store are excited about this article? :D

ht_addict

ht_addict

Audioholic
Get the feeling all the time. Its all about having something new and shinny. But I've learned overtime, its not worth it, except for in TV's. Bigger is always better.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Well I took your advice & just put a new Emotiva XPA-5 on a card. (seriously!) Told my wife that I came across a deal. (actually just free shipping) But now i've got "cantwait-atitis".....what can i take to cure that??!!! HURRY HELP!!!

G

gholt

Full Audioholic
I have the upgraditis. I just bought speaker 2 years ago, and wondering if I should trade the drivers out and have them put in their reference drivers.

B

bjohnson

Audiophyte
Jsut noticed this post... gmichael said it. And it seems we're still stuck in thatmode, even when they're 7 years old. It becomes: "we'll upgrade when it breaks" which, semantically, is replacing, not upgrading :)

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Well I took your advice & just put a new Emotiva XPA-5 on a card. (seriously!) Told my wife that I came across a deal. (actually just free shipping) But now i've got "cantwait-atitis".....what can i take to cure that??!!! HURRY HELP!!!
Congrats! I am seriously enjoying my new XPA-3. Fantastic amp.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Can you believe my wife is 39 and I turned 46 in june and we are going to try and have another? We don't have any together.
Sounds like you got the XPA-3 just in time.:D
Good luck Jeff.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis