Onkyo TX-NR709 7.2 Channel Networked THX Receiver First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
We're shocked at how much Onkyo is giving you in the sub $900 TX-NR709. We expect 3D and many of the features but not all of them. We can honestly only count less than a handful features that aren't included in this receiver. 3D, ARC, DSX PLIIz, MultEQ XT, Marvell Qdeo, 4K, THX... the alphabet soup goes on. Add to that an i-App for control, integral iPod/iPhone support via a front mounted USB, eight HDMI inputs and dual outputs, dual subwoofer outputs, 7.1 channel inputs and 7.2 channel pre-outs plus Zone 2 line outputs, 11 pairs of speaker connections... there is just too much to mention. For this price point, the TX-NR709 looks to be the receiver to beat.

Discuss "Onkyo TX-NR709 7.2 Channel Networked THX Receiver First Look" here. Read the article.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
This TX-NR709 is an exciting product to me. In terms of just sheer features and inputs/outputs for the price, I don't think there are any competing receivers from other manufacturers that can actually go toe-to-toe on every single checklist item.

Of course, it remains to be seen if it runs hot ( a notorious issue with Onkyo) and whether all of those features actually work without issues (another common issue with Onkyo), but strictly in terms of the feature set and slew of input/output options, this 709 has just about everything you could possibly think of!

I'm really happy to see MultEQ XT back in the 7xx series. Onkyo included way back when in the 705, but then dropped down to vanilla MultEQ with the 706 through 708. I'd love to see MultEQ XT32 and MultEQ Pro, but I guess for $900 MSRP / $800 street, that's still asking a bit much (not to mention, what could they offer that would get anyone to upgrade to a higher-priced model) ;)

G

gms8994

Enthusiast
Does this thing do HDMI repeating? What can I look for to determine whether a receiver will process audio, sending it out to my speakers, as well as to the TV, via the HDMI connection?

C

crackinhedz

Audiophyte
gms8994, you can try to download a user manual from onkyo's website...then search for HDMI Audio Output...or I believe Onkyo has moved to the term "TV Audio Out"...this should indicate what is possible as far as audio out through Amp and/or TV.

MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
AirPlay?

The 709 seems to be a very fine receiver as does the 609 which I'm currently eyeballing. But I'm not hearing much talk about AirPlay support from Onkyo. The wife would love this feature and thus be a very solid selling point for men in my position.

Any word on future AirPlay capabilities/upgrades from Onkyo.

Also, does this model support HD radio? It doesn't look as if it does. Even from Onkyo's own site.

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-NR709&class=Receiver&p=i

N

nerdkill

Audiophyte
So I'm in the market to get a new receiver and this one is looking pretty. Just wondering if anyone had any input. I like that it has an input for my record player, Sirius INTERNET radio (so I don't have to buy an adapter or pay an additional sub), and it seems as though it's good for a mid sized room which is what I have.

Just wondering if anyone has any input about this unit or if there is anything else I should be looking at. Price isn't too big of a deal to me, but I'd obviously rather spend less on something is better. If something is worth the money I'll spend it though. Any advice?

D

darwin

Audiophyte
I am also very interested simplifying and updating my system by replacing my Integra DTC 9.8 with this receiver, but I have 4 Ohm speakers and I'm concerned with how well this receiver would do driving all five of my speakers.
I know I could use the 709 as a pre/pro, but I prefer not to, if the receiver is capable enough on its own.
Can anyone offer any advice?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis