Star Wars Episode 1 3D Theatrical Release Date is February 14, 2012

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
I can't wait to see Star Wars again... I mean, it's been almost 3 years since I wrote George Lucas a check - the man is clearly due. Today, the Hollywood Reporter scooped the news that Star Wars Episode 1 will be re-released in 3D on Valentine's Day (February 14th) 2012. Lucas hopes that releasing the first installment of his blockbuster Star Wars Saga reasonably early in the year, away from summer season, will give it a wide open run at the box office and also establish the chance to sell merchandise through the balance of the calendar year. The program under discussion would make the release of the next movies in the series an annual event on the film calendar. If the first in the series finds success, the outstanding 5 films would track a year apart on equivalent dates. However, hinging on how the first release performs, the studios could likewise make a decision to open the subsequent entries in varying spots on the calendar. So are you waiting with baited breath for Lucas' 3D processed cash cow - or will you skip it and wait for the Blu-ray version (making this possibly the 6th time you've bought Star Wars on video)?

Discuss "Star Wars Episode 1 3D Theatrical Release Date is February 14, 2012" here. Read the article.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I'll be skipping it. I love the star wars original trilogy, but have no desire to watch some crappy 3d conversion of it :/

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I will pass too. I saw it in IMAX and it was already annoying.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Oh I just noticed this said Episode 1...that movie doesn't exist to me :D

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
3D is not appealing to me at all. I have yet to be able to watch a 3D anything for more than 15 minutes without getting sore eyes and/or a headache. Something many of my friends agree upon. So far most movies just use 3D as a way to exploit a feature that can be more believable if "directed properly" from the get go.

In a nut shell: no interest in a 3D version of an otherwise flawless franchise.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
LOL, Flawless. WRONG. Jar Jar Binks = not just flaw but downright FAIL.

3D really does work, especially when done right, however the glasses get old while watching a movie. I don't get headaches watching them, but my g/f does and it has proven to be a real concern for some.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Yeah, what Episode 1 needs is MORE distracting visuals.

All of this expense for fake 3-D in six films, but putting the original theatrical releases of the original trilogy out in Hi-Def is too expensive?

Bite me, Lucas.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, I definitely want the original versions of the original trilogy remastered on bluray...I don't want to have to use a vcr to watch my old tapes :/

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
LOL, Flawless. WRONG. Jar Jar Binks = not just flaw but downright FAIL.

3D really does work, especially when done right, however the glasses get old while watching a movie. I don't get headaches watching them, but my g/f does and it has proven to be a real concern for some.
J - I think you mis interpreted my call out of the franchise. Certainly not the actual characters or the character development.

The Star Wars Franchise is (arguably) the most successful Sci-Fi franchise of all time.

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
I will absolutely go see this film again.

Of course, my buddies and I are also there opening night for every Nicolas Cage movie. Why? Because they're comedy gold and we love bad movies.

I love this film for the effects and sound. There are some amazing audio demos that can be found in this film and since we just ordered the new JVC X7 THX 3D projector for our show room system I'm really curious on how the 3D on this film turns out. Previous films being retro-fit for 3D and having it add to the experience rather than be a side show, IMO, makes or breaks the format for me. So, as for moving forward in our industry I think this is an important venture.

After seeing Tron in 3D I'm excited about what I would consider a major leap in video. At first I rolled my eyes at 3D, but at this point I think that it represents a far more important step forward in immersion for a projector/movie experience than 1080P or 2:35 conversion. The fact that JVC has 3D projectors that truly perform and at affordable pricepoints ($4,500, $7,000, $12,000) is incredible.

Other than that, Liam Neeson is a great actor even though he's borring and stale in this one and I really didn't mind a lot of the other stuff either. The kid playin Anakin is worse, to me, than Jar Jar Binks.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
The kid playin Anakin is worse, to me, than Jar Jar Binks.

Strangely enough, I never really objected to Jar-Jar that much. He's pretty darn far down the list of what's wrong with the movie.

On the plus side, the movie has 1. The Pod Race and 2. The coolest light-sabre battle in the entire series. I still don't plan to see it in 3D, although I admit the Pod Race is tempting.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Tell you what... I'll make a deal with George Lucas:

I will go see ALL 6 Star Wars movies in their new, post-production 3D bastardized versions in the theaters. In return, Lucas must release Blu-ray versions of the Original Trilogy that make use of the Blu-ray seemless branching feature to provide the following:

- original theatrical versions
- first theatrical re-release versions (very minor updates, eg. title sequence)
- laserdisc versions
- enhanced versions
- theatrical special editions
- home special editions

We can do without the DVD/Blu-ray versions. The upcoming Blu-ray releases will already include those crappy versions. I want all of the previous versions on one disc, making use of Blu-ray seemless branching! Give me that and I'll buy 6 more movie tickets for the 3D versions that I don't even want to see!

Deal?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They were saying that they may never re-release the unmodified theatrical versions of the original trilogy and that sucks because I don't like the "new" remastered ones.

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
They were saying that they may never re-release the unmodified theatrical versions of the original trilogy and that sucks because I don't like the "new" remastered ones.
I agree! The remastered movies felt manufactured to me.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis