Corsair SP2500 PC 2.1 Speakers Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
I'm always on the lookout for good PC speakers. The challenge, of course, is that most manufacturers are looking to squeak out decent performance from plastic and paper, without a terrible amount of engineering and certainly without the benefit of much power or attention to the things that define good quality speakers. Corsair has bucked the trend in a number of ways with the SP2500 PC 2.1 Speakers. First of all, they have a subwoofer the size of a small refrigerator. Secondly, they put out a couple of Class-D powered 2-way speakers. Compare this to most anemic plastic sub enclosures and "full-range" speakers. The other thing they add is a wired remote control with an LCD-screen and discrete control over subwoofer and satellite speaker volume.

Discuss "Corsair SP2500 PC 2.1 Speakers Review" here. Read the article.

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
Why would they not shield the sub? More often than not most folks put their towers on the floor. If you think that magnetic interference wrecks havoc on a crt, wait till you see what it does to a hard drive! Cannot believe for 250 that the sub is not shielded

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
I went to parts express and got a little t-amp and some dayton audio speakers, will add a (shielded) subb soon

cwall99

cwall99

Full Audioholic
I'm guessing they opted not to shield the sub because that's really only an issue with a CRT (at least that's what I've been led to believe - I read it on the internet, so it must be true). Since CRTs are, essentially, extinct (except on my home desktop), they're probably just saving on manufacturing costs on a feature that 99%, ok, 90% of the world doesn't need.

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
I'm guessing they opted not to shield the sub because that's really only an issue with a CRT (at least that's what I've been led to believe - I read it on the internet, so it must be true). Since CRTs are, essentially, extinct (except on my home desktop), they're probably just saving on manufacturing costs on a feature that 99%, ok, 90% of the world doesn't need.
Hard drive are susceptible to magnetic interference far more than crts are data los is a real issue and for 250 shielding should have been included in all three parts

I really don't think you need to shield a sub unless you are using a larger magnet or locating it in close proximity to hard drives or a monitor. This product has a smaller magnet and is fairly safe if you use your head. Don't stick your PC on top of it and you should be fine...

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
It's understandable why they didn't shield the magnet of the sub. Shielding not only requires you to use a larger magnet to counter the loses of the bucking magnet, but it also takes up more cabinet volume and adds cost.

If anyone is placing an unshielded sub next to a computer (not recommended), at least orient the sub so the driver is orthogonal to the HD. Using right hand rule, point your thumb in the same direction the driver is in, and rotate your hand. The rotation of your hand shows you the orientation of the magnetic field.

Thus the cone of the driver should either fire directly towards or 180 deg away from the HD.

I once had a very powerful sub placed near a CRT (had no choice) and simply fired the sub drivers towards the side of the CRT and there were no magnetic field related issues.

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
thanks for the additional info Gene. I work in IT and i am a take no chances with data kind a guy. I have seen some strange stufff happen. but that information helped. I could not find a good set of PC speakers and a price that my wifewould approve so I got a little t-amp from parts express and some speakers, works pretty good. Well the amp stopped working so they are sending me another. No biggie!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis