Energy Veritas V-5.1 Bookshelf Speakers Video Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
These are... bar none... the most beautiful speakers I've ever seen. While also available in a Gloss Piano Black, the samples we have here are the Piano Rosenut finish and, as you can tell, they are absolutely pristine in terms of the veneer and the gloss coat. Everything about these speakers screams high-end, yet they cost just $400 each. While that's not exactly pocket change, it's a far cry from what many people consider "high-end" and yet most of the audiophile speakers we've seen in our day don't approach this type of build quality and styling. Let me break it down. The finish, while impressive, is just the start. This speaker is a 2-way bass reflex design. Inset within the front baffle is a custom brushed aluminum inner plate. It unites the 1" aluminum dome tweeter with heat-synched neodymium motor and 5-1/4 inch Kevlar woofer.

<object height="254" width="451"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=20393035&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=1&color=00ADEF&fullscreen=1&autoplay=0&loop=0"><embed width="451" height="254" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=20393035&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=1&color=00ADEF&fullscreen=1&autoplay=0&loop=0"></embed></object>

Discuss "Energy Veritas V-5.1 Bookshelf Speakers Video Review" here. Read the article.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I wonder how they compare with the RC-10's, as they appear to use the same drivers. Any difference between crossover designs? Other than the baffle plate uniting the drivers and the lack of visible magnet posts for the grill, the two models look pretty much identical.

U

utopianemo

Junior Audioholic
How are we to compare this type of review to the more in-depth Audioholics reviews? These seem like good speakers according to the review, but there's no score(other than "gotta have it") and no detailed listening remarks. How would they do as satellites in a HT setup? How do they sound when driven hard? Since they don't have a scorecard, It's a lot harder to tell how they'd stack up to other speakers (like the Emotiva bookshelves, for example--my current wishlist speaker).

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
AKA overview

Good overview.

While there aren't any descriptions of what they sound like that should not heed buyers from taking them for a spin. Any reputable on-line or local dealer would let someone demo them in house for x amount of days. The room you have them in will determine more of how they sound than most any other variable.

Graphs and non-sense descriptions of: her voice sounded like the veil was suddenly lifted away does little benefit to a buyer when trying to choose a speaker. Neither does exclaiming that they are on par with the likes of similar priced offerings from: Snell, Sonus Faber, Paradigm, Atlantic Technology, Canton, Usher, Etc-Etc.

Test driving a speaker (i.e. listening to it!) still remains the best way to decide if a speaker is worth having. After all that is what we get them for right?

The new Energy offering is a nice looking speaker and no doubt is satisfying. The price puts it up there on the "must listen to" pedestal for most of us though.

Thank you for a great overview of the speaker.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I wonder how they compare with the RC-10's, as they appear to use the same drivers. Any difference between crossover designs? Other than the baffle plate uniting the drivers and the lack of visible magnet posts for the grill, the two models look pretty much identical.
The 2.2i was rated down to 40-20kHz @+/- 3dbs with useable bass down to ~35hz and rated 89dbs in room. The 5.1 are rated between 50hz-25kHz @+/-3dbs and ~90dbs in room. The 2.2i mid range and tweeter were self chambered reducing any interaction with other drivers...Although the reviewer talks about the overall fit and finish of the v5.1 and their build qualitly weighing in at 12lbs...as that of a tank don't even come close to the 2.2 which weighted ~30lbs each. Every aspect in their design was thoroughly thought out by the engineering team..IMO....Here is a cut away of the 2.2> http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/audio-products-international-corp-1386/energy-speaker-systems-veritas-i-series-brochure-5304/page-10-fullsize.html

Check out your local FS but I'm sure the 5.1's will sound very close to your 10's..if you still have them...:)

Last edited:
I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
I found it a little unsettling that he got a little flustered in the 1st 20 seconds when describing how beautiful he thought they were. Also, he got awfully dressed up for this video compared to his others. A sport coat?

Nice touch, but I don't think the Veritas are his type. :D;):eek:

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
agree with Billy.....the old line were a class act....better than Paradigm in my mind....a better option for that market

I found it a little unsettling that he got a little flustered in the 1st 20 seconds when describing how beautiful he thought they were. Also, he got awfully dressed up for this video compared to his others. A sport coat?

Nice touch, but I don't think the Veritas are his type.
He was going on a hot date afterwards... lol.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
The 2.2i was rated down to 40-20kHz @+/- 3dbs with useable bass down to ~35hz and rated 89dbs in room. The 5.1 are rated between 50hz-25kHz @+/-3dbs and ~90dbs in room. The 2.2i mid range and tweeter were self chambered reducing any interaction with other drivers...Although the reviewer talks about the overall fit and finish of the v5.1 and their build qualitly weighing in at 12lbs...as that of a tank don't even come close to the 2.2 which weighted ~30lbs each. Every aspect in their design was thoroughly thought out by the engineering team..IMO....Here is a cut away of the 2.2> http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/audio-products-international-corp-1386/energy-speaker-systems-veritas-i-series-brochure-5304/page-10-fullsize.html

Check out your local FS but I'm sure the 5.1's will sound very close to your 10's..if you still have them...:)
I've never seen an older Veritas speaker before, much less heard one, although I'm aware of their sterling reputation. I mentioned before, that I think Klipsch is just milking the name for whatever they can get out of it, without investing much.

I still have the 10's, but they aren't in use right now. I love my Studio 20's, but the difference between them and the 10's certainly isn't night and day. Bass performance would be the most noticeable difference and I would say that at higher spl the difference becomes more apparent. As for value for money - no question, the RC-10's win hands down, because they can be had for far less than MSRP.

I still have the 10's, because it's just so hard to part with them! I do have a potential sale lined up, but I haven't pursued it too vigorously. I have difficulty parting with any of my audio redundant equipment. I still have a pair of Mordaunt Short 902i's that I need to sell also. Then there's the 20-year old pair of Sound Dynamics 200 Ti's - one with a busted tweeter that I can't get a replacement for. They should be disposed of, but I can't bring myself to do it!:( I need an intervention....:eek:

But, I digress. I would have to see some comparitive measurements between the new Veritas and the RC, as well as listen to them side-by-side, before I would even consider spending more for the Veritas.

R

redbird578

Audiophyte
I love them!

I am no sound geek. I am sure there are "better" speakers out there. But I bought the 5.0 version (no sub) and I am very happy with my purchase. They are clearly gorgeous (mine are the piano black - didn't want to be limited decor wise by the rosewood color) and have great WAF. I auditioned these and a set of Klipsch reference series, and the Veritas blew them away. They are crisp, tight, and detailed at low volume. My Denon AVR 1804 drives them just fine (I do need a receiver upgrade). I hear details that did not exist before. I will have these speakers longer than any other piece of a/v gear.

W

Whetzell

Audiophyte
Energy V5.1 Monitor

The best bookshelf, I've ever heard. Martin Logan, Bowers & Wilkens, and all the rest. Add a Rel T2 subwoofer, and they're a audiophile stereo system. I use them with Martin Logan ESL's, as a 5 channel stereo system, and it's better than surround.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I've never seen an older Veritas speaker before, much less heard one, although I'm aware of their sterling reputation. I mentioned before, that I think Klipsch is just milking the name for whatever they can get out of it, without investing much.
I agree with you. I think Klipsch has totally gutted and ruined what was once one the better speaker manufacturers out there. :( The engineering that went behind the Veritas line was a tour de force and much better than anything Klipsch has ever put out or ever will put out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis