Apple Leads the Charge to hi-fi Digital Music

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Apple wants you to blow the speakers on your iPad 2 with 24-bit panache! Apple and other digital music retailers are in discussions with the recording industry to begin dealing in uncompressed, high resolution digital music files. It’s great news if you’re a red blooded Audioholic and like your music high-fidelity but appreciate the convenience and scalability of a digital music collection.

Discuss "Apple Leads the Charge to hi-fi Digital Music" here. Read the article.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
It is the ONLY thing that keeps my from buying music from the itunes store.

Follower

Follower

Audiophyte
iPad 2

"Remember, Apple is the company that didn't even wait six months before announcing the sequel to its long-awaited iPad. These guys can't to sell you on an excuse to upgrade your hardware in 2011."

As far as I know, Apple has never announced an iPad 2. (Although they may at an event tomorrow.)

Many people have announced such a device, but the actual manufacturer is not among them. If anyone can point me to a press release contradicting me, please do.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Many people have announced such a device, but the actual manufacturer is not among them. If anyone can point me to a press release contradicting me, please do.
Apple announces iPad 2
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/03/02ipad.html

I don't think you doubted Apple would make that announcement, I think you were overly-gleeful that you may have caught some imaginary technicality. I bet you have fantasies that you're a meter maid putting a parking ticket on a windshield as the owner opens his door. Stop that!

Apple loves sequels to its devices. This is a truism that cannot be disputed whether or not Apple announced an iPad 2 at this time.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Interesting article arguing for 16bit lossless instead. Any thoughts?

http://gizmodo.com/#!5768446/why-24+bit-audio-will-be-bad-for-users
I liked the article. A lot of food for thought.

There is something to this idea of ... instead making my audio better, just try not to make it worse.

I have 16-bit recordings (CDs) that sound friggin' great! I also have 24-bit DVD Audio discs that sound like crap. It's not about specs. There's a bigger picture.

I don't believe giving music distributors a wider digital pathway thorugh which to feed medicore production quality is going to somehow magically create better sounding music.

JaBear

JaBear

Junior Audioholic
I get Napster to play though my PC, mainly since I got it for free, but that's about it I like the streaming part of it and like it on my PCs crappy speakers. I can't stand to listen to mp3 on my main system. I have bought CDs from time to time but it cost to much money and my mood and taste for what I want to listen too always changes. I would be interested in a streaming services that had 16bit or 24bit material not at more than 5-10 a month. That being said apple has been talking lossless for years now and nothing has come of it some I'm not holding my breath.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Been doing this for years?
Yes, they have.

Now I have my big pipe fiber connection, I can down load these 96/24 FLAC files in minutes. The problem is the downloads, are incompetently presented and mastered.

There are newbie mistakes like not knowing you have to snap to zero crossing at edit points. So the total productions all have significant artifacts.

The result has been that I have had to convert all the files from FLAC to wav with dbpower amps. Then I have to professionally remaster the production in WaveLab before it is ready for prime time.

Once remastered though the results are astonishing with a huge dynamic range.

Since downloading more of these, I'm now convinced the CD is due for retirement.

I know there are studies showing you can't tell the difference. However the equipment used is never stated in detail.

On this rig you can tell all lossy codecs immediately and yes I mean all.

I bet if you did the study with 44.1/16 and 96/24 on this rig you would reach significance.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis