The Town Blu-ray Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
If you liked the dynamic and ultimate flow of Boston-based thrillers and dramas, and appreciate the Irish neighborhood camaraderie between the often times violent young men that populate these towns, the movie "The Town " will be right up your alley. All the elements of those films are here – the heavy tattoos, the gold chains, the tough guy sweat suit outfits, the regular stream of vulgarities spoken with a thick Massachusetts tongue…it was far from a bad film, but I’m not quite sure it was one of the best films of the year. The Blu-ray quality video and audio experience on this disc should prove quite satisfying as well.

Discuss "The Town Blu-ray Review" here. Read the article.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
watched this a 2 weeks ago. good (not great) movie. i recommend it.

watch for when they are under the yankee stadium. when the coppers chuck in the garenades = BOOM !!!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It is funny that you mention the Boston accents because Afflec's accent was pretty terrible.

xego

xego

Junior Audioholic
Good review Scott...

I have "The Town" blu-ray also. I am wondering what was included in the extended version? I don't much care for that marketing strategy of putting out more than one blu with different versions of the film. Different set of extras ok, I am not keen on that either but it makes some sense. But If I am part of the select few already buying blu-ray then I should have a Theatrical and Extended cut seamlessly branched in even the bare bones.

***spoilers***

As for the film itself, I liked it with reservations. With a genre film such as this you hope you will get lots of tense scenes of them planning and carrying out their robberies. I think the film delivers on this reasonably well with action sequences shot with some real aplomb. There were other instances where I was taken out of the movie because I knew exactly the scene in another movie that Affleck and his co-writers were cribbing from. Of course because it is an Affleck movie it is as I think he believes his civic duty to give the ladies their monies worth with several shots of Affleck working out and showing off his broad shoulders. Affleck looked a bit to me like the old GI Joe's I used to have when they still painted on the hair. Affleck and all his douchebaggery cannot it seems get out of it's own way in this picture. He naturally has to become romantically entangled with the one witness that can put them away. Despite the fact that Affleck's character seemed fully committed to a reckless lifestyle of fast money and thrills we find out now that he just wants to hang it all up for the woman he loves. The film sort of devolves into a sort of "Will he or won't he?" "Will she or won't she?" ala the "Thomas Crown Affair" if Thomas Crown had dropped out to get his GED. At the end I was amazed at what a guy would do for a girl he just met a week ago and how he could rationalize (in a corny voice over) that he was taking responsibility for what he'd done not from a jail cell mind you but from some hideout in some bayou somewhere?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis