Emotiva Ultra 12 Subwoofer Video Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Can Emotiva's $500 12-inch subwoofer really compete? We weren't sure, so we got one and hooked it up. But first we looked at the specs. The Ultra 12 sub sports a 300watt Class D amp that will put out 500watts of peak power. It has a die cast woofer frame with a huge magnet, and utilizes long throw drivers. The woofer is constructed out of a triple-woven synthetic product used in bulletproof vests. We didn't shoot it, but in fairness we're pretty certain they're going for stiffness, not defensive measures. The surround is constructed out of butyl rubber and the boxes are sealed, rather than ported.

Discuss "Emotiva Ultra 12 Subwoofer Video Review" here. Read the article.

N

nhpm510

Audioholic
Vs CHT?

But, how does it compare to Craig Chase's new 10.2 sub?
Hmmm....

K

KrellAV

Audiophyte
"It extends all the way down to 22Hz with typical in-room output of about 112dB and it really has a satisfying sound that plays low enough to hit you in the chest, but doesn't sound distorted or boomy."

Is the in-room output at 112db for 22hz or is this an average output across the frequency spectrum? If at 22hz, that is outstanding! The AH test revealed 20hz at 91db outside at 1M with no room gain.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Is the in-room output at 112db for 22hz or is this an average output across the frequency spectrum? If at 22hz, that is outstanding! The AH test revealed 20hz at 91db outside at 1M with no room gain.
112dB is an in-room spec from Emotiva across the Freq spectrum. This is a small sub, it can't do that kind of output down to 20Hz. If you read our review, I list that as a con and also discuss it in the measurements section.

Despite that, it still has the most output of any box of that size we've tested. It has way more output than the Lava sub we just finished reviewing. It's only competition is the little SVS sub which we plan on testing in the near future. The SVS likely has more usable output down to 20Hz, however it is more costly, especially since you have to factor in shipping while the Emo shipping is free.

K

KrellAV

Audiophyte
"112dB is an in-room spec from Emotiva across the Freq spectrum. This is a small sub, it can't do that kind of output down to 20Hz. If you read our review, I list that as a con and also discuss it in the measurements section.

Despite that, it still has the most output of any box of that size we've tested. It has way more output than the Lava sub we just finished reviewing. It's only competition is the little SVS sub which we plan on testing in the near future. However, the SVS is more costly, especially since you have to factor in shipping while the Emo shipping is free."

Thanks Gene!

Follow-up, I am looking at maybe getting 4 of the U-Sub 12s to place in corners of a fairly large (~6000 cuft) room, My concern is being able to get significant output at 20 hz from this setup for HT. Room gain will likely factor in but what is your guess. Construction is concrete floors with carpeting and vaulted ceiling. My speakers are full range so the crossover would be about 40 hz for HT.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
"112dB is an in-room spec from Emotiva across the Freq spectrum. This is a small sub, it can't do that kind of output down to 20Hz. If you read our review, I list that as a con and also discuss it in the measurements section.

Despite that, it still has the most output of any box of that size we've tested. It has way more output than the Lava sub we just finished reviewing. It's only competition is the little SVS sub which we plan on testing in the near future. However, the SVS is more costly, especially since you have to factor in shipping while the Emo shipping is free."

Thanks Gene!

Follow-up, I am looking at maybe getting 4 of the U-Sub 12s to place in corners of a fairly large (~6000 cuft) room, My concern is being able to get significant output at 20 hz from this setup for HT. Room gain will likely factor in but what is your guess. Construction is concrete floors with carpeting and vaulted ceiling. My speakers are full range so the crossover would be about 40 hz for HT.
This doesn't answer your question directly, but I wanted to make sure you were aware that this review with measurements was here.
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/ultra-12/ultra-12-measurements
Scroll down for a chart of output. This sub puts out 91bd at 20Hz outside at 1 meter. I think some may be able to assist with how much to add for room effect, but I don't know how well 4 would do in a 6000 cu ft room.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I love my little Ultra 12 but IMO it's not the sub for that job. I find it very detailed for music but they're just too small to dig super deep. I think you'd be better off with a pair Hsu ULS-15s (yes more money) or vented sub or two.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

Thanks Gene!

If your primary concern is true 20Hz extension at meaningful output levels, get the SVS PB12 Plus DSP or the Rythmik FV-15HP we recently reviewed.

The Emo 12 is designed to be small, cheap and powerful but it rightly limits output down to 20Hz to keep the product clean and stress free.

K

KrellAV

Audiophyte
If your primary concern is true 20Hz extension at meaningful output levels, get the SVS PB12 Plus DSP or the Rythmik FV-15HP we recently reviewed.

The Emo 12 is designed to be small, cheap and powerful but it rightly limits output down to 20Hz to keep the product clean and stress free.
Thanks again! That is what I thought but hoped from a WAF perspective that 4 smaller subs would do the trick. Oh well, as they say, there is no replacement for displacement.

I know you reviewed the FV15HP but I am not a fan of ported subs nor the size requirements. Would the F15HP approach the output and performance for clean bass with the 20 hz extension? I will be getting 2 of these subs for room balancing.

Last edited:
K

kfessler

Audiophyte
Emotiva Ultra 12

I bought one of these subs last month, and all I can say that it blows my older sub to smitherines! And I got it for the $429 price shipped.

As time goes on and it keeps breaking-in, it just keeps getting better and better! :D

tattoo_Dan

tattoo_Dan

Banned
I bought one of these subs last month, and all I can say that it blows my older sub to smitherines! And I got it for the $429 price shipped.

As time goes on and it keeps breaking-in, it just keeps getting better and better! :D
yep ! I love mine too !

L

lietuvis91

Junior Audioholic
I like my my ultra 12 a lot as well, I think it's definitelly a very nice sub for the money. One big thing I noticed is that cable quality really makes a difference to this sub. I originally had a monoprice 13ft sub cable on it and the sub was loud, but somewhat droany... and boomy. I was able to tune most of that out playing with the phase settings and also changing the location of the sub.

but then...

I bough a used teralabs cable from a forum member and holly molly! :eek: This made the sub sound VERY nice, no more droan or boominess, just nice clean deep BASS!!!!!

anyway... cables seemed to make a difference... ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis