Aperion Audio Bravus 10D Subwoofer Video Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Aperion Bravus 10D is an attractive, potent little subwoofer at a reasonable price. It certainly doesn't have the output and extension of its larger peers but that's a tradeoff for a smaller box that blends more easily into your room décor. In that respect, the Bravus 10D excels. It's beautiful to look at and makes it hard to not justify putting two of these subs in your theater room - something we highly recommend. The Bravus 10D is in the middle of the Aperion line of subwoofers. You can order it in two finishes: cherry, shown here, or high gloss black. Both are stunning and the quality of the finish is second to none - in fact it's a higher quality look and feel than any other subwoofer in the market at this price.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/19747158" width="451" height="254" frameborder="0"></iframe><p>Aperion Audio Bravus 10D Subwoofer Video Review from Audioholics.</p>

Discuss "Aperion Audio Bravus 10D Subwoofer Video Review" here. Read the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, let's play a fun game - first guy to complain that this isn't a "review" or that it should be longer or more in depth gets banned for a week. Go!

K

kevon27

Annoying Poster
Yeehaw.. I'm gonna get banned..

Anyway. for $799 someone would be way better off, I think, with the Velodyne minivee 10.. Since the Audioholics review of 'Vee 8' giving wicked bass down to 20 hz, the 10 inch should do even better.
Esthetically, the Aperion may win but performance at $800, that title goes to Velodyne.

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
Kudos to this site's team for really raising awareness of the important role a sub can play in the system - stereo and HT. lots to think about, many options to choose from.

K

kevon27

Annoying Poster
Since my review of the 10D and my criticism that dual drivers in such a small enclosure limits its extension, Aperion has redesigned it so that one driver is active and one is passive.

See: http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/NEW-Bravus-II-10D-Powered-Subwoofer,274,66,812.aspx

I suspect the low end extension will be improved in the newer model and plan on testing it sometime down the road.
Hey.. How about getting a sub from EPIK to test. They have gone all out on the dual woofer thing. Though their enclosures are much larger than the Aperion's.

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
Did Aperion actually re-designed this based on the review/suggestion from Audioholics? If so I give credit to Audioholics!

I can't say that I would even consider owning a product which designs and manufactures speaker (hey that's all they do) and make extreme design changes based on the comment from a reviewer, that's just plain getting PWND.

They design, test, manufacture and sell a product that just was not a good idea in the 1st place based on enclosure size? Come on give me a break.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Since my review of the 10D and my criticism that dual drivers in such a small enclosure limits its extension, Aperion has redesigned it so that one driver is active and one is passive.

See: http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/NEW-Bravus-II-10D-Powered-Subwoofer,274,66,812.aspx

I suspect the low end extension will be improved in the newer model and plan on testing it sometime down the road.
They actually went with two passive and one active drivers:
gave Bravus a completely new driver design that includes one down-firing active woofer and two side-firing passive radiators

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Did Aperion actually re-designed this based on the review/suggestion from Audioholics? If so I give credit to Audioholics!

I can't say that I would even consider owning a product which designs and manufactures speaker (hey that's all they do) and make extreme design changes based on the comment from a reviewer, that's just plain getting PWND.

They design, test, manufacture and sell a product that just was not a good idea in the 1st place based on enclosure size? Come on give me a break.
:rolleyes:

so they respond well to constructive criticism and you criticize their capability? The old bravus was a high output and punchy sub. For a lot of music that is something many people really like.

they went with passive radiators instead of two active drivers, whoch gives it more low end as Gene pointed out is more desired, at least for home theater. it likely reduces the midbass output capability by a solid 4-6 db on the other hand. it might measure better and technically sound better but who knows if it appeals to the masses better?

both are valid design choices when the desired end result is more than just making the best no compromise sub. there is more to it than just knowing what works. it is about actually selling the product, and aperion is obviously trying to differentiate their sub so that it isnt just the same driver/port box as everyone else.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

While I agree to some extent with what you are saying, I think it is important to consider the matter of degree.

I have read several reviews of this subwoofer; both pro and consumer. None of them considered it a bad subwoofer. Generally, the impression was that it provided good performance for the compact form factor and good convenience via the RC at a reasonable pricepoint. The AH review gave it a performance rating of 4. So it is not the case that this was a bad sub design which should have never made it to market.

I believe that even in as few as the past 5 years, we have seen significant across the board improvements in subwoofer performance from most vendors. Subwoofer design is not yet a mature technology.

Another person might applaud Aperion for being proactively responsive to constructive criticisms. It looks like the AH review was written in 3/2010 and I believe the Bravus II series came out pretty soon thereafter.

It is all a matter of perspective.

PS: I don't have any affiliation with Aperion - I have never even heard one of their products. I am a tremendous fan-boy of their risk free audition policy!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

Most manufacturers take our review criticism seriously. Yamaha for example has made many changes in model replacements as a direct result of our comments. I don't need anyone to give me credit. My goal is for manufacturers to make better products that I'd want to own myself.

Aperion's original design was valid for its purpose but I felt the sub could use more low F at the expense of some high F. Their engineer obviously agreed and they came out with a new model. It's strange to see some scalding the manufacturer instead of applauding their open-mindedness to want to make a product better. Some manufacturers can't handle criticism and threaten to drop advertising if our reviews have any negative feedback, I can assure you Aperion is NOT one of them. That speaks volumes for them not only in their faith in their products but in us.

To that end, Aperion should be commended!

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
:rolleyes:

so they respond well to constructive criticism and you criticize their capability? The old bravus was a high output and punchy sub. For a lot of music that is something many people really like.

they went with passive radiators instead of two active drivers, whoch gives it more low end as Gene pointed out is more desired, at least for home theater. it likely reduces the midbass output capability by a solid 4-6 db on the other hand. it might measure better and technically sound better but who knows if it appeals to the masses better?

both are valid design choices when the desired end result is more than just making the best no compromise sub. there is more to it than just knowing what works. it is about actually selling the product, and aperion is obviously trying to differentiate their sub so that it isnt just the same driver/port box as everyone else.
If their old design was so good maybe they should offer 2 variations. Many companies offer more than one choice but maybe tis new one mates with all of their mains. I do commend them for trying to "fit in" obviously the old design was not met with lots of praise or it would most likely be offered still.

Anyhow I know I came across as bashing Aperion but honestly their 1st product was underwhelming and hopefully this new one offers a better performance for the coin. Spec wise there are some others who match it in $ but who knows.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis