Sunfire Atmos Subwoofer First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Sunfire has been making subs that home theater nuts have be coveting for years. Now they've announced their smallest sub yet - the Atmos. Featuring a custom 6.5" woofer paired with a new asymmetrical cardiod surround, Sunfire claims the Atmos will outperform many 10" and 12" subs. Just not one of theirs we're guessing. The asymmetrical cardiod surround allows over 1.5" of excursion on the driver. It is going to need it as there is a 1400 (you're reading that right) amp backing it. With all that power, they had to design the cabinet out of aluminum to combat the internal pressure the driver will create. We're thinking Atmos is a pretty apt name. With a footprint of under 10" square, an auto room EQ built in, and a host of other features the Sunfire Atmos promises to be everything you want in a small sub... except cheap.

Discuss "Sunfire Atmos Subwoofer First Look" here. Read the article.

K

kevon27

Annoying Poster
Okay. When these some subs with massive excursion, how long do they really last? With all that movement, I can see those sub only lasting a few years.
Am I wrong?

C

Casey01

Enthusiast
Sunfire has been making subs that home theater nuts have be coveting for years. Now they've announced their smallest sub yet - the Atmos. Featuring a custom 6.5" woofer paired with a new asymmetrical cardiod surround, Sunfire claims the Atmos will outperform many 10" and 12" subs. Just not one of theirs we're guessing. The asymmetrical cardiod surround allows over 1.5" of excursion on the driver. It is going to need it as there is a 1400 (you're reading that right) amp backing it. With all that power, they had to design the cabinet out of aluminum to combat the internal pressure the driver will create. We're thinking Atmos is a pretty apt name. With a footprint of under 10" square, an auto room EQ built in, and a host of other features the Sunfire Atmos promises to be everything you want in a small sub... except cheap.

Discuss "Sunfire Atmos Subwoofer First Look" here. Read the article.
Sorry, when it come to subs, size does matter and no matter how much you try, you can't defy the laws of physics. I can recall Sunfire's original introduction in to the world of high powered "mini" subs ($1800) and when it came right down to it the louder the volume and the lower the frequency the more it "gasped for air" and that essentially continues with many of similar type models from other brands. In a relatively small room for music applications, OK, but in a reasonably sophisticated HT set-up with its greater demands for higher SPL and deeper bass? No.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Okay. When these some subs with massive excursion, how long do they really last? With all that movement, I can see those sub only lasting a few years.
Am I wrong?
I used/worked with Sunfire's when I was in high school working for a local installer that was a dealer of them. This was when it was their original "True Sub II" or whatever it was called, the 13"x13" dual driver one.

My review:

It certainly made big bass for it's size, and wives loved it for that. Hide one or two of those and have a nice theater with no visible subwoofer but still impactful bass.

The drivers usually lasted, I don't think I ever saw one that failed, the main issue was always the amps and amplifier hum. The amps would go bad, but Sunfire would stand behind them - but the amplifier hum thing was always an issue. At first everyone would think it was a ground loop, sometimes it was, other times it was some weird transformer thing that needed to get fixed. Lots of warranty claims with that. Then they'd get it back and it would be fine for a while and then do it again.

Again, I was just in high school running wires, so I'm not saying this hasn't long since been fixed - but that always stuck in my mind. I ended up buying a used one for /super/ cheap when I went to college - and it still works, never had a problem with it. I still have it, I just don't use it. Doesn't take up much room, hehe.

T

TheGovernment

Enthusiast
Am I wrong?
It doesn't work like that. As long as your not over extending the sub and bottoming it out, there is not reason it can't last 50 years (as long as the surround doesn't dry out and crack)

If high excursion subs wore out, I'd have 5K in subs sitting here doing nothing lol

B1-66ER

B1-66ER

Audioholic Intern
Sorry, when it come to subs, size does matter and no matter how much you try, you can't defy the laws of physics. I can recall Sunfire's original introduction in to the world of high powered "mini" subs ($1800) and when it came right down to it the louder the volume and the lower the frequency the more it "gasped for air" and that essentially continues with many of similar type models from other brands. In a relatively small room for music applications, OK, but in a reasonably sophisticated HT set-up with its greater demands for higher SPL and deeper bass? No.
You are right, you cant deny physics however excursion allows smaller woofers to get great extension and move a pretty good amount of air.. Moving air doesn't have to be about sheer diameter. I dont know the Thiel/Small on this Sunfire woofer, but I know there is a reason we see high roll surrounds and longer coil travel on modern woofers.

jmilton7043

jmilton7043

Audioholic Intern
Atmos price announced:

$2K, my friend.

ATMOS (atmosphere) will produce 2 atmospheres of pressure for output. SECRETS of Home Theater is getting one this week to review.

Last edited:
D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
The drivers usually lasted, I don't think I ever saw one that failed, the main issue was always the amps and amplifier hum.
Yep. The other problem was that they sounded awful, because the drivers had such high inductance...

(Also, it couldn't reproduce the really deep stuff, but that was by design. I think the PR was tuned to 30Hz or thereabouts.)

$2K, my friend.

ATMOS (atmosphere) will produce 2 atmospheres of pressure for output.
In what sized volume? Its own cabinet?

That's the kind of mindless propaganda that looks impressive at first blush, until one realizes that the qualifying information one needs to determine if it's a meaningful claim is entirely absent.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis