A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Today, there are more options than ever before when it comes to purchasing a flat panel HDTV. The newest, hottest technology in HDTV are the super thin and lightweight LED TVs. But how is LED different from LCD? Should you expect to pay more for an LED TV? What are the benefits of LED vs LCD? We went to Westinghouse Digital and got some input on them regarding their take on this common question. While all manufacturers have their different opinions on the ideal TV, Westinghouse is really pushing hard on LED backlit technology, and in particular, edge-lit models.

Discuss "LED vs LCD TVs" here. Read the article.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
One of the many small things that makes me irrationally angry. LED backlit tvs are still LCDs :mad:

majorloser

majorloser

It's amazing how many times I've had to explain that to people. The manufacturers have fooled people that they are receiving some sort of "new" technology. That and they have rode the "Green Train" for a few bucks.

In a way it makes me laugh. I can remember when the first digital watches were red LED's and the batteries wouldn't last very long. Then they came out with "liquid crystal" or LCD watches. At the time, a new technology with longer battery life. Back then you could probably buy a television for the price of one of those watches.

Now we finally have both technologies maturing and coming together. :rolleyes:

C

clouso

Banned
Today, there are more options than ever before when it comes to purchasing a flat panel HDTV. The newest, hottest technology in HDTV are the super thin and lightweight LED TVs. But how is LED different from LCD? Should you expect to pay more for an LED TV? What are the benefits of LED vs LCD? We went to Westinghouse Digital and got some input on them regarding their take on this common question. While all manufacturers have their different opinions on the ideal TV, Westinghouse is really pushing hard on LED backlit technology, and in particular, edge-lit models.

Discuss "LED vs LCD TVs" here. Read the article.
This is only ment to fool people who doesnt know a thing about the difference and thinks ''led'' is a completly new tech...Samsung is done with me for trying to fool people!!...some people i know already thinks led is a new tech and lcd tv's will no longuer exists!!...wow....:rolleyes:

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I'm sure I am like many here, where all friends come to me for advice. I always prep them right before I say it, "Ok this is mouthful, ready? Locally dimming LED back lit LCD television". lol

No one angered me more than Vizio, with their TruLED campaign. I thought that they should be sued for false advertising. While to me 120hz can be extremely misleading, especially when a unit still can't do 24p, TruLED takes the cake for me.

I am glad Westinghouse can be added to the list of companies AH has worked with, but their track record is pretty miserable. Their failure rate has been close to double digit percent?

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
did I miss the article? Went back and forth a few times - was that one pager it?

My questions:
Am I right in thinking that edge lit does NOT add anything to the table in terms of image quality over regular led/lcd?

The claims are lighter (seriously - who cares about that?),
and thinner (stop being so vain people!),
and maybe slightly more efficent (I heat my house with my amps, so I'm already writing a chack to the seria club.)

C

clouso

Banned
did I miss the article? Went back and forth a few times - was that one pager it?

My questions:
Am I right in thinking that edge lit does NOT add anything to the table in terms of image quality over regular led/lcd?

The claims are lighter (seriously - who cares about that?),
and thinner (stop being so vain people!),
and maybe slightly more efficent (I heat my house with my amps, so I'm already writing a chack to the seria club.)
I owned many hdtv's including a DLP Toshiba....a Sony lcd projection....a Toshiba lcd 670 regza series ''local dimming''.. a panny g-10 series and i immediatly saw the superiority of the plasma g-10 versus the others!....then i was going to get a better one then the g-10 and i ended up with this pioneer elite wich i will die with!...it only has 6000 hrs of use and unless something better comes out..''.panny will surely bests the pioneers soon'' then i will consider it!...IMO..plasma is still the best PQ available since OLED is not going to be produced in large sizes because of the high cost for manufacturers to produce it!....LED is a damn light it is not a ''NEW'' technologie!!!!...OLED was going to be another self emmiting light source such as plasma and thats why it was promising!.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Plasma is still my preference as well. If I were to buy a TV now/soon I'd be getting a Panny plasma.

S

stealthrt

Audioholic Intern
Yes, LED back lite LCD's are still LCD's but with the added benefit of having brighter colors and longer life! Just those 2 points are well worth the few extra $$ to get an LED back-light compared to a cath tube light! The added bonus is having it lighter and thinner.

Just my 2c though :)

David

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I agree plasma's have a better picture. But, what about for situations (like what I have) for bright rooms *a big picture window*. I'm looking at LCD's, okay, LED LCD's. From what I have read, it seems that the led's are more energy efficient and don't run as hot. Marketing ploys or real world?
Oh, did I mention I'm a noob to this audiophile stuff? I'm learning, but credible information seems hard to come by. I'm not a "Read it on the internet, so it's true kind of guy".

Thanks.
Barry

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
presented by westinghouse digital and edited by clint deboer said:
led tvs like those form westinghouse digital are often edge-lit...
lol :D :D :D

Back/side lit displays have never been the way to produce the best picture, period. Like CRT displays every pixel on a plasma display produces its own light. OLED acts much the same way, where electricity charges each pixel and it produces its own light. Because LCD type displays are cheaper to assemble and are largely more appealing to the general public as a result of marketing we are drowning in second rate display technologies.

This is of course, my opinion, and LCD displays have improved dramatically in recent time. Just imagine if this level of effort had been put into plasma and OLED.

Last edited:
emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
This is of course, my opinion, and LCD displays have improved dramatically in recent time. Just imagine if this level of effort had been put into plasma and OLED.
Agreed on that!

Same can be said for many technologies that become publicly popular even if they should have been superseded by an already existing technology with better potential.

engtaz

engtaz

Full Audioholic
What about Lasers, how do the compare to LED, LCD, Plasma?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
What about Lasers, how do the compare to LED, LCD, Plasma?
I'm still in the dark about laser displays and I have yet to see one in action. Wasn't Mitsubishi supposed to have one in the market by now?

It seems unanomous among other manufacturers that they are done with RPTVs. Mitsubishi is the only one clinging to it, maybe because they've not had good luck with their LCD displays.

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
Plasma is the way to go.
I liked the picture on my Samsung Plasma HP-T5054 but after less then one year it burnt out the main main board ( I think ) the repair man for Conns said. It took Samsung 2 weeks to finally give me full store credit, rather then repairing it(it was on sale).:mad: This model Plasma always put out a LOT of heat so I did not wall mount it and had two small fans behind it and it still failed. I will never go Plasma again. I now have a Toshiba 55" LCD HD 55SV67OU model. The color looks great to me and it does not run so darn Hot as the kids have on 15 hours a day and the Wii use. No worries about burn in like the plama did and a weekly screen sweep to keep this from being a problem.

C

Code-Red

Audiophyte
I agree plasma's have a better picture. But, what about for situations (like what I have) for bright rooms *a big picture window*. I'm looking at LCD's, okay, LED LCD's. From what I have read, it seems that the led's are more energy efficient and don't run as hot. Marketing ploys or real world?
Oh, did I mention I'm a noob to this audiophile stuff? I'm learning, but credible information seems hard to come by. I'm not a "Read it on the internet, so it's true kind of guy".

Thanks.
Barry
Not al plasmas have a better picture, I would say my Sony XBR8 has a better picture then most plasmas. Are LED displays cooler, with out a doubt yes, do the cost less to run? Also without a doubt yes. If you want to keep your room well lit but still get great PQ go for a LED display. The best plasma wont look as good as a decent LED in a well let room...

C

Code-Red

Audiophyte
I'm still in the dark about laser displays and I have yet to see one in action. Wasn't Mitsubishi supposed to have one in the market by now?

It seems unanomous among other manufacturers that they are done with RPTVs. Mitsubishi is the only one clinging to it, maybe because they've not had good luck with their LCD displays.
They already made it and its out, I think it was called the laservue or something. It was actually a very excellent TV but I dont think laser displays are gonna get much backing. OLED will probably hit the market in about 5 years completely bypassing the Laser display entirely...

C

clouso

Banned
Not al plasmas have a better picture, I would say my Sony XBR8 has a better picture then most plasmas. Are LED displays cooler, with out a doubt yes, do the cost less to run? Also without a doubt yes. If you want to keep your room well lit but still get great PQ go for a LED display. The best plasma wont look as good as a decent LED in a well let room...
Are there any decent led out there yet?...i had one and i almost got sick when i had that ''blooming'' issue...plasma rocks...:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis