Oppo BDP-93 3D Blu-ray Player Now Shipping!

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
According to Oppo and our friend Robert Silva over at About.com, the company has finally announced that the highly-anticipated BDP-93 3D/Network Streaming Blu-ray Disc player is now available for order. We were given the impression that Oppo was intending to release it before the end of the year when they allowed us to debut the BDP-93 Blu-ray player to the world during the CEDIA Expo in Atlanta. The player supports 3D Blu-ray as well as Netflix, Blockbuster, and more) and continues to support both SACD and DVD-Audio Disc playback, making it a true universal player (one of only a few left on the market). The Oppo BDP-93 can also play back media files from USB thumb drives and eSATA drives. For video processing, Oppo went with the Marvell QDEO Kyoti-G2 88DE2750 upscaling chip and the unit has dual HDMI 1.4a outputs that can divide and conquer between audio and video or even mirror outputs to two locations.

Discuss "Oppo BDP-93 3D Blu-ray Player Now Shipping!" here. Read the article.

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
I absolutely love the idea of the dual hdmi that allow 3d video (if you're into that) to go the TV, while any audio requiring hdmi HDCP cabling can go to a normal "old fashioned" reciever.

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
I wonder though if the 3S thing is gonna be just a passing tech fad though

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Very cool. My only question for the (or early adopters) is does it support BD rips in ISO format.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Very cool. My only question for the (or early adopters) is does it support BD rips in ISO format.
I contacted Oppo and it does not support ISOs. That's not a deal breaker, winrar will split ISOs into files that it will play. Or I can just re-rip since I own the originals.

N

ned

Full Audioholic
I contacted Oppo and it does not support ISOs. That's not a deal breaker, winrar will split ISOs into files that it will play. Or I can just re-rip since I own the originals.
It's a deal breaker. If it can't stream ISOs with BD configuration and menu structure it is incomplete.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
It's a deal breaker. If it can't stream ISOs with BD configuration and menu structure it is incomplete.
I did suggest that they add it in a firmware update but I strip menus and previews anyway. All I care about is the main video and best quality sound.

N

ned

Full Audioholic
I did suggest that they add it in a firmware update but I strip menus and previews anyway. All I care about is the main video and best quality sound.
If you're burning several BDs, it's time consuming to strip menus. just insert the disc and my server would automatically rip and open the tray when it's done.

B1-66ER

B1-66ER

Audioholic Intern
I dont think you guys understand what ISO's are. They are just disc images, and really are needed on a computer, so you could have the image of the disc but take advantage of the image, now on your hard drive, but faster than on a DVD. If you were to burn a disc in ISO format, you would just burn the disc image, which is essentially a disc copy. You could burn the disc as an ISO natively, but that would be stupid. Like taking the bus and putting your car on the top of it.
And Winrar doesn't "split" ISO images, it extracts them.

L

LowFreq

Enthusiast
Why would you want to watch BD's in ISO format anyway? So you dont have to write them on CD's, but place them just on a portable HDD and hook them up to the player? Are there even any players out there, which can do that?

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
There are plenty of products out there that will stream BR's from a server or a direct connected HD....

I'm running PopCorn Hours right now, but there will be many many products to come down the pipeline in the years to come... It will play just about every single format out there.....

I can't remember the last time I actually used my Oppo 83...
It would really be awesome if a company as dedicated to playback like Oppo would make network streaming devices...

B1-66ER

B1-66ER

Audioholic Intern
Why would you want to watch BD's in ISO format anyway? So you dont have to write them on CD's, but place them just on a portable HDD and hook them up to the player? Are there even any players out there, which can do that?
That was my point, I'm not sure those guys know what ISO's are exactly. You would only keep an ISO in native format so you can either keep it on a harddisk to keep or to burn back to its disc image contents. You wouldn't burn an ISO to a disk to store it as an ISO.
Unless, with this BDP being so full of external storage compatibility (Usb, eSATA), maybe they wanted to do just that, keep the ISO on an external media harddisk, and attach it and have the BDP read it and play. A possibility, and I would stand corrected about understanding the ISO concept, but to put such stipulations as a "deal breaker" on doing such an assbackwards way to play the media seems quite finicky. Most media player software wont read ISOs unless mounted with daemonTools or Gizmo, or Virtual CloneDrive. I don't think any BDP has that capability, seems to really stretch the options list a bit. You might as well just burn the disc, IMO.

B1-66ER

B1-66ER

Audioholic Intern
There are plenty of products out there that will stream BR's from a server or a direct connected HD....

I'm running PopCorn Hours right now, but there will be many many products to come down the pipeline in the years to come... It will play just about every single format out there.....

I can't remember the last time I actually used my Oppo 83...
It would really be awesome if a company as dedicated to playback like Oppo would make network streaming devices...
Warp, are you streaming ISO's? If so, I would be blown away, because that would make PopcornHour the most awesome media device! But then, isnt PCH's os based on Linux? So it wouldnt be a stretch to include additional functionality in an os like that.

Oh and Warp, holy ****, what the hell are those amazing beauties in your room! 18" x 3 = the most I've ever lusted for wood and metal! Nice job on those subs!

Last edited:
TheFactor

TheFactor

Audioholic Field Marshall
Looks like a nice player , I might have to pick one up so I can start a SACD collection :D

B

bogrod

Junior Audioholic
I think I may have an explanation for why the 93 won't do ISO (the 83 won't do it either). To the movie industry, ISO files = illegal copies. This is from the 83's media file FAQ.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis