Netflix Raises Prices, Offers Streaming-only Plan

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
We got a notice from Netflix today indicating they were raising the prices of their 3-out at-a-time Blu-ray-enabled plan by $3/month. They attributed the price increase to an increase in the amount of television and movie content available for streaming. Netflix was apparently feeling the pinch of new fees for additional content. To temper the change, Netflix also announced that they have added a $7.99 streaming-only plan with no DVD rentals. This is in response to the increased demand for Netflix' streaming service which are now available in televisions, Blu-ray players... toasters.

Discuss "Netflix Raises Prices, Offers Streaming-only Plan" here. Read the article.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
I'll actually be tapering off to the streaming only plan during the holidays. Will probably kick it back up In January or Feb when I have more time again. If I get really hard up, will try to find a Red Box with Blu-rays just to hold me over.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I'd be using the streaming more if it worked at my desktop computer.

It's quite bizarre, I watched a number of things on it over the weekend which was the first time it had worked for me in a while (ages ago it worked flawlessly) but the past couple days it hasn't been working again. *sigh*

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
I'd be using the streaming more if it worked at my desktop computer.

It's quite bizarre, I watched a number of things on it over the weekend which was the first time it had worked for me in a while (ages ago it worked flawlessly) but the past couple days it hasn't been working again. *sigh*
Have you tried calling Netflix tech support, or trying a different browser?

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Have you tried calling Netflix tech support, or trying a different browser?
Haven't gotten to getting in touch with them but I've tried Firefox, Chrome and IE. It seems to be crashing Silverlight which is the issue.

From what I've found online this seems to have happened before and most suggest uninstalling then reinstalling Silverlight. Did that like a month ago and it did nothing. The random functioning this weekend followed by not functioning now makes no sense since my computer hasn't been changed or rebooted in over 23 days.

Getting in touch with them is on my to do list. It's just not very high on it at this particular moment.

xego

xego

Junior Audioholic
I couldn't use to use Firefox to stream only IE, now that has changed and they both work. I have a Sony BD S570 and the netflix streaming was cutting out quite a bit. I would get an error message about my network blah blah..although the settings are the same as they were a minute ago when it was working. It seems a bit better now but far from perfect. I was considering even getting a roku even though it would be redundant, if it works it would be worth it. I am going to wait and see. Not sure if the problem is with Sony, or Netflix or my ISp? any thoughts?

flamingeye

flamingeye

Junior Audioholic
Yap I got the notes too, but I was on the $10.99 for one BR at a time witch now is $11.99 and I can`t go to a lower plan so I will not be able to join you in the rebellion, but still $1more is not much to complain about, I will still be with you in spirit though

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
I dont think the prince increase is all that bad, but we also changed plans. We went from 2 out at a time, to 1 out. We had already been thinking of doing that anyway, the increase was just the nail in the coffin. But I am excited that they are adding much more content to streaming, as well as finally adding 5.1 surround sound!

Sean

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I think this is enought to make me go back to Blockbuster, I don't really use the streaming feature that often.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis