Call of Duty: Black Ops, an Imperfect Call Worth Taking

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Call of Duty: Black Ops is a frenetic first-person action feature that plays like a film collaboration between Oliver Stone and David Fincher. But multi-player is where this franchise consistently shines. Zombies are back and Treyarch has added depth to your personalized load-outs and a few hidden Easter Eggs.

Discuss "Call of Duty: Black Ops, an Imperfect Call Worth Taking" here. Read the article.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
The graphics/environments in the campaign are inconsistent however if you pay attention to the facial animations they are absolutely amazing. Its a strange bird, in some areas I thought they were better than MW2, in other environments worse. I have not played any multiplayer yet.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Hey Minus

I noticed some scenes look amazing and polished while others just lack detail. In multiplayer for instance, building load outs and looking at the player-avatar and weapons, they look soft and under-detailed compared to MW2.

I'm lovin' the game.

My PSN handle is: Epicondylitis
Please add me to your list of friends so I can shoot you.

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
I was more than dissappointed with the campaign mode of this game. You almost had as much cinematics as you did actual gameplay. The story lacked continuiety and the main character, who I believe was voiced by the guy from Avatar, was not interesting or believable.

Considering the steam download took longer to complete than it actually took to finish the campaign I was pretty disgusted. MW2's campaign was superior in nearly every way.

As for the multiplayer, it's MW2 reskined. The saving grace of this game for me is zombies. I've put in much more time playing zombies with some of my buddies than the regular multiplayer.

Bad Company 2 has a superior multiplayer experience in my opinion, and I think I'll stick to it for now.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I was more than dissappointed with the campaign mode of this game. You almost had as much cinematics as you did actual gameplay. The story lacked continuiety and the main character, who I believe was voiced by the guy from Avatar, was not interesting or believable.

Considering the steam download took longer to complete than it actually took to finish the campaign I was pretty disgusted. MW2's campaign was superior in nearly every way.

As for the multiplayer, it's MW2 reskined. The saving grace of this game for me is zombies. I've put in much more time playing zombies with some of my buddies than the regular multiplayer.

Bad Company 2 has a superior multiplayer experience in my opinion, and I think I'll stick to it for now.
I also thought the flashback and cinematics were a bit overdone and a bit too seizure inducing at times. :eek: I found the campaign so action packed that it did break up the flow.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman

I don't know Shock. These games (all the new Call of Duty series) are based on the same graphic engine and are designed for static consoles, there will be no groundbreaking graphics to be had, the hardware is years old.

There are some glitches, slowdowns etc. which I hope are patched soon.

But there is a lot to like in the new game, especially with multiplayer. There are balance issues addressed since MW2. The "noob tube" has been nerfed, there is no more Commando. Quick-scope sniping has been made much more challenging so you won't start up maps where 'everyone' is a sniper.

I think in our current era of years-old consoles graphics quality differences between games is marginal at best. THey're all bad compared to what you can get on up-to-date PC hardware these days. But that's not a true reflection of the "game" behind the graphics.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I don't know Shock. These games (all the new Call of Duty series) are based on the same graphic engine and are designed for static consoles, there will be no groundbreaking graphics to be had, the hardware is years old.

But there is a lot to like in the new game, especially with multiplayer. There are balance issues addressed since MW2. The "noob tube" has been nerfed, there is no more Commando. Quick-scope sniping has been made much more challenging so you won't start up maps where 'everyone' is a sniper.

I think in our current era of years-old consoles graphics quality differences between games is marginal at best. THey're all bad compared to what you can get on up-to-date PC hardware these days. But that's not a true reflection of the "game" behind the graphics.
I'm not the hugest FPS fan, and I only started playing COD at MW and MW2, (didn't bother with WAW), but there are a lot of things that bug me about multi-player. I guess I'm just not that good at them to begin with, so I just end up getting my *** kicked a lot. I think they highest kill streak I have ever gotten is 9. But the thing that probably bothered me the most was that you would run into these guys that would just run around and knife everybody. I'd be looking right at the guy running at me and shooting me, but because it usually takes 3 or 4 shots to kill a guy, he would just keep running and knife me as he ran past!!! Complete and utter BS! Gimme a break, if I shoot you with a gun, you're going to at least stumble a bit and slow down. :mad:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not the hugest FPS fan, and I only started playing COD at MW and MW2, (didn't bother with WAW), but there are a lot of things that bug me about multi-player. I guess I'm just not that good at them to begin with, so I just end up getting my *** kicked a lot. I think they highest kill streak I have ever gotten is 9. But the thing that probably bothered me the most was that you would run into these guys that would just run around and knife everybody. I'd be looking right at the guy running at me and shooting me, but because it usually takes 3 or 4 shots to kill a guy, he would just keep running and knife me as he ran past!!! Complete and utter BS! Gimme a break, if I shoot you with a gun, you're going to at least stumble a bit and slow down. :mad:
Knife them then :D It is more fun that way anyway :cool:

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
I noticed that more often this game than in MW2. It really bothers me too. That's why I like to play hardcore mode :D

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
I noticed that more often this game than in MW2. It really bothers me too. That's why I like to play hardcore mode :D
I should try hardcore mode, never have yet.

I don't like the over-knifing in the game, but at least now everyone has the same lunge ability. I'd rather it not be so powerful, it makes carrying a pistol kind of useless.

I love the customizations to weapons. I've tricked out an Aug. Sniping is sssooooo hard. I'm trying and barely break even k/d ratio. I must admit, when sniping the knife saves me a lot. I like stealing people's primary and using a completely unique kit. Some people obviously put a lot of thought into their main weapon.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
My bro and I have been doing zombies. Damn this is hard! We are still learning strategies. We can only get up to round 8. :eek:

Dead Ops arcade is hella fun! Thanks for that code Wayde Robson in your review of the game. Up to round 20.

Ito

Ito

Full Audioholic
I have only played about 6 hours of the game in multiplayer (almost all TDM), so I really, so I don't have a full opinion on the game, but so far I am enjoying it far more then MW2. The game still doesn't feel AS good as COD4 did, but I really am enjoying the game.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Strategy Guide For Zombies

Here is an excellent guide for zombies co-op. I played a bunch in the map Kino der Toten. We have only managed to get up to round 9. After reading this guide, I have realized we have not even tapped into the potential of this mode and that some of our strategies were not correct after the first 6 rounds. This guide will surely help.

http://www.strengthgamer.com/Black_Ops_Zombie_Guide.html

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General

I didn't mean "MW2 reskined" was about the graphics, the gameplay is nearly identical. The only real difference is the rendering of sniping pretty much useless unless you want to pitch a tent.

Oh and don't get me started on chopper gunner streaks on hardcore.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
PTOM's official review in this month's mag gave Black Ops a 10.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis