Panamax M4300-PM Power Manager Video Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Having a good power manager like the Panamax M4300-PM connecting your gear does several things. For one, it cleans up your equipment, giving you a single source to connect all of the AC power for your gear. More importantly, however, it gives you something between your expensive AV equipment and the wall, so that if you ever encounter lightning or any other power surge event, something other than that new LCD or plasma display can take the hit. Panamax has been around for a long time and they are offering some beautiful-looking products to deliver power protection as well as rudimentary filtering of AC line noise (like the kind caused by vacuum cleaners, florescent lighting and similar products). Its power cleaning and linear filtration eliminates common symptoms of contaminated power like pops, hisses, and hums and allows your A/V equipment to perform up to its full capability.

Discuss "Panamax M4300-PM Power Manager Video Review" here. Read the article.

dalumberjack

dalumberjack

Audioholic
So I was just given one of these and I hooked everything up. Plugged it in and I notice that it hums..... Is this normal for a unit like this? I don't know if its considered a loud hum or if its normal but its loud to me. Might be as loud as my plasma...

Just curious.

I'll try to post a audio file it.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
So I was just given one of these and I hooked everything up. Plugged it in and I notice that it hums..... Is this normal for a unit like this? I don't know if its considered a loud hum or if its normal but its loud to me. Might be as loud as my plasma...

Just curious.

I'll try to post a audio file it.
No, it should not hum at all. But, can you tell us if this hum is coming from your speakers or a mechanical hum from the unit itself?
A speaker hum indicates, most likely, a ground loop issue. :eek:

dalumberjack

dalumberjack

Audioholic
No, it should not hum at all. But, can you tell us if this hum is coming from your speakers or a mechanical hum from the unit itself?
A speaker hum indicates, most likely, a ground loop issue. :eek:
Sorry, should of clarified. Its from the unit itself.

Here is a video. The hum you here is from the unit and can be heard in the room if the tv etc is not on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RCRC9YkHXA

T

TommyTom83

Junior Audioholic
I have the Panamax M5300-PM and there is no hum whatsoever. I would contact Panamax.

HexOmega

HexOmega

Audioholic
One thing I really dislike about ALL of the 1U power conditioners is that you cannot plug in a "wall-wart" power transformer without interfering with other outlets or adjacent components.

You would think that, for the money, they would at least include a few short extension cords to make this a non-issue.

R

RipcordAFF

Audioholic Intern
One thing I really dislike about ALL of the 1U power conditioners is that you cannot plug in a "wall-wart" power transformer without interfering with other outlets or adjacent components.

You would think that, for the money, they would at least include a few short extension cords to make this a non-issue.
You can get those extension plugs from monoprice for like .50 i believe

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I just ordered one of these. Thanks for the video! It made it much easier for me to see what the unit looks like.

D

Darkwing_duck

Audioholic
" Its power cleaning and linear filtration eliminates common symptoms of contaminated power like pops, hisses, and hums and allows your A/V equipment to perform up to its full capability. "

Snake oil? How do you know it actually 'cleans' the power? Just by subjective listening tests? Or did Gene and crew do scientific analysis behind the scenes as they normally do with speakers cables that claim better sound by adding batteries? As far as we should the viewer should be concerned this Panamax is nothing but a glorified over-priced power bar with fancy lights. I DO NOT recommend buying this unit until you know through science that it works as advertised. Would you buy a pair of $500 speaker cables without the scientific testing Gene does to find out how good those cables really are? What if they really performed as well as a pair of $5 lamp cords from Home Depot, would you still throw $500 on them just because they look...nice?

I'm not trolling guys. I'm just pointing out the obvious. We're not electronics engineers who develop these devices. Without a de facto guide of some sort from someone you don't know what you are buying. Panamax power manager that cleans up your power? Pffft....

Last edited:
MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
One thing I don't like about Panamax is no consistency across different models in regards to the front USB port. On my M4300-PM the USB port can charge a cell phone, on the M5300-PM although it looks like a standard USB it won't charge a phone, it's only for gaming consoles.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis