Logitech Revue Google TV Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
I can't remember a time when a product had more hype (or potential) than when Google announced GoogleTV. The trouble was, the leaked video and descriptions were somewhat vague and nobody truly had a real grasp on what the technology would hold. We, of course, wanted to get our grubby little hands on it as soon as earthly possible - and that was facilitated by our relationship with DISH, who sent us a Logitech Revue as soon as they had one in-hand. For anyone truly looking to unlock the full power of GoogleTV, realize that DISH is the first (currently only, as far as we know) to fully integrate their DVRs with GoogleTV without the use of IR emitters or a convoluted interface. With most DVRs, there would be no way to access recorded material, or even program new recordings from the guide via IR, due to the complexity of the tasks involved - at least not without a really manual, unimpressive process. While the newer DVRs and set-top boxes have the potential to integrate well, DISH jumped all over it and we're able to review the Logitech Revue with full DVR integration with a VIP 722 HD DVR.

Discuss "Logitech Revue GoogleTV Review" here. Read the article.

It's weird that if you really want GoogleTV, then a ViP 722k is actually better than a ViP 922 since you can always add Sling to a ViP 722k - and very easily, after Dish releases their aftermarket Sling Adapter.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
There is so much potential in the digital video only if the big content wont be killing any innovation. Google TV is very promising product and looks like Google engineers more or less understand what 10ft interface should be - however I heard no mention of capabilities (of lack of them) of this device to play existing digital media ... something like boxee does today (or better)

A

allargon

Audioholic General
Just looking at the Revue's specs, it does not support FLAC or WAV ...
http://revue.logitech.com/MartiniWeb/digitalhome/answers?a_id=425

Pretty sure the Boxee does.
I bet the Boxee also supports 5.1 audio.

Come on, Guys. I know this was tested on a bedroom system with a soundbar, but this is Audioholics. You guys didn't discover the lack of 5.1 audio from the Dish DVR (HBO, Epix, DIY Network!, etc.) to the Google box to your AVR that so many mentioned on Satelliteguys and AVS?

I love you guys (especially Tom's speaker rant/reviews and Clint's display reviews) and this site, but I hate when you review something and miss an obvious audio spec or limitation. Could you guys retest the Logitech Revue and see if there is indeed a 5.1 passthrough issue?

Thanks.

S

Sobakafortue

Audiophyte
Google Tv is going to need time to Flesh itself out, much in the way that Android did. At first it will be lackluster for sure, but give it a year and it might begin to stand out. I'd say the same goes for boxee. Its way to early in the game to jump on board with any player yet.

P

pinkyy8081

Audiophyte
Logitech Revue

I can't remember a time when a product had more hype (or potential) than when Google announced GoogleTV. The trouble was, the leaked video and descriptions were somewhat vague and nobody truly had a real grasp on what the technology would hold. We, of course, wanted to get our grubby little hands on it as soon as earthly possible - and that was facilitated by our relationship with DISH, who sent us a Logitech Revue as soon as they had one in-hand. For anyone truly looking to unlock the full power of GoogleTV, realize that DISH is the first (currently only, as far as we know) to fully integrate their DVRs with GoogleTV without the use of IR emitters or a convoluted interface. With most DVRs, there would be no way to access recorded material, or even program new recordings from the guide via IR, due to the complexity of the tasks involved - at least not without a really manual, unimpressive process. While the newer DVRs and set-top boxes have the potential to integrate well, DISH jumped all over it and we're able to review the Logitech Revue with full DVR integration with a VIP 722 HD DVR.

Discuss "Logitech Revue GoogleTV Review" here. .
I was just reading your post and I must admit that I do agree with everything you said. I had the opportunity to use the Logitech Revue when it was released to the public because I do work for DISH Network. My expectations were surpassed when I walked over 100 feet from the box and because of the IR blasters, it still worked. I would definately recommend the Logitech Revue to everyone. It's worth it! :)

-Danielle

majorloser

majorloser

Been thinking about upgrading my Dish service to include GoogleTV.

Has there been any updates since this came out? Any new comment to add?

B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
I have the Revue and its pretty cool I just wish that they had Hulu+ but they dont yet which is kinda upseting. It is pretty cool to be able to watch tv and surf the net, the bad is if you type a movie in or tv show it dosent look in Netflix it only looks whats online or what you have saved, maybe the next upgrade will allow for those kind of things. Also there is no Android market either.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
the bad is if you type a movie in or tv show it dosent look in Netflix it only looks whats online or what you have saved, maybe the next upgrade will allow for those kind of things.
Highly Unlikely... Netflix specifically want's to have it's app completely separate from everything else. Boxee Beta used to have the feature you describing, but they had to get rid of it, since Netflix got all pissy about it...

Last I heard, Google asked Logitech and Sony to delay production of additional Google TV units... I'm pretty sure that has something to do with so many content providers decided to block it :(

B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
Yeah Ive heard the samething. I thought this thing would take off a lot more than what it has. Its a great idea and would be great if there were just more to do with it and better intergreated. I bought this thing thinkn that I could get rid of my Boxee Box and have an all in one deal but so for thats not working. The Revue def will not play whatever you throw at it like Boxee Box does, but oh well I guess. I just hope that the Revue will contimue to grow if not then I guess Im a sucker for new ideas and have learned my lesson not to jump so quick.

B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
Yeah I read about the hack a couple of days ago, but it seems a little tough to try and then loose $300 when it dosent work. Now maybe they will continue to upgrade the software to allow for the Android market and other twiks.

H

hardal

Audiophyte
Dish is offering the Logitech Revue for $179

I have a ViP 622 receiver in my theater. I wonder if I'd get the same features as Clint got with the ViP 722 receiver.
Great offer there. Will consider it after the discounted. ;)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Would you consider Revue that now for $99
http://www.androidcentral.com/logitech-dropping-price-revue-99

btw:
Found this:
What media formats are supported on Logitech Media Player?

Audio
MP3 - MPEG-1 Layer 3
MP4 - AAC
M4A - AAC
OGG - Vorbis (Only when a USB device is connected to Revue)
WMA

Video (Currently in Beta)
MKV - H.264/AVC
FLV - H.264/AVC, H.263
MTS/MT2S/TS - H.264/AVC
AVI - H.264/AVC, DivX MPEG4, XVid MPEG4
MOV - H.264/AVC
MP42

Images
JPG
PNG
GIF
BMP
http://revue.logitech.com/digitalhome/answers?a_id=19802&source=search&strText=What media formats&sub_cat=multiple

Rumor has it that Google has been working to update these boxes to Honeycomb, but I find it unlikely

A

allargon

Audioholic General
Would you consider Revue that now for $99
http://www.androidcentral.com/logitech-dropping-price-revue-99

btw:
Found this:
What media formats are supported on Logitech Media Player?

Audio
MP3 - MPEG-1 Layer 3
MP4 - AAC
M4A - AAC
OGG - Vorbis (Only when a USB device is connected to Revue)
WMA

Video (Currently in Beta)
MKV - H.264/AVC
FLV - H.264/AVC, H.263
MTS/MT2S/TS - H.264/AVC
AVI - H.264/AVC, DivX MPEG4, XVid MPEG4
MOV - H.264/AVC
MP42

Images
JPG
PNG
GIF
BMP
http://revue.logitech.com/digitalhome/answers?a_id=19802&source=search&strText=What media formats&sub_cat=multiple

Rumor has it that Google has been working to update these boxes to Honeycomb, but I find it unlikely
There's already a 3.1 beta in the wild. Maybe they'll finally add FLAC support. It'll be like one of 3 turnkey devices that actually does. :rolleyes:

How well does this thing upscale SD video if at all?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis