EMPtek Impression E55Ti Floorstanding Speaker System Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
If you want a speaker that can truly deliver a tonally accurate, dynamically lifelike reproduction of your music which also happens to look stunningly beautiful, than the EMP E55Ti's Impression Floorstanding speakers should fit the bill nicely. The E55Ti tower consists of six drivers, and is a vented 3-way design standing nearly 4ft tall. They produce a huge soundstage and can play exceedingly loud down to a modest 50 Hz, with little to no audible compression. In my opinion, these speakers look as good as they sound which is something I rarely find myself saying at this price point for a tower speaker system. The EMP E55Ti's come with a 5 year warranty and a 30 day money back return policy with free shipping both ways. This makes for a risk free trial for you to demo these speakers in the most critical and important listening room - your own home theater. Highly recommended!

Discuss "EMPtek Impression E55Ti Floorstanding Speaker System Review " here. Read the article.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
As an owner of these I've been anticipating this review for a while now =D

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I pretty much agree with everything in the review, including that the treble sounds "different" from the average speaker especially in a very acoustically dead room like mine.

One question I've got though for Gene is: what would have been the benefit of passively bi-amping these (and in general)?

Matt34

Matt34

I'm probably going to go with these if I can swing them after my subwoofer upgrade. Got to have your priorities straight being a basshead.;)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
One question I've got though for Gene is: what would have been the benefit of passively bi-amping these (and in general)?
Passive biamping can be beneficial for achieving more bass control by having a dedicated amp power the woofers and another amp driving the mid/tweet section. These speakers have a high impedance at bass frequencies and are real easy for an amp to drive. If you've got a solid amp already, its probably doubtful passive biamping would make much of a difference on these speakers anyways.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
nice. when i was looking for new speakers, a few years ago. i was looking for those. and didn't find em.

but. i really would like to test out "just" how loud they do go, cleanly.

G

gambini

Enthusiast
E55Ti Placement

Hi Gene,

In the photos from the first listening test at your friends home, it looks like the speakers were placed fairly close to the front wall. Did this have much of an impact on the mid-base, giving a chesty or even muddy sound? I ask because I have been considering these speakers for a while, but have placement restrictions (WAF) that would put them near the front wall and make me think this might cause an issue. Especially with a dual rear ported speaker.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Nice review Gene. The E55Ti look to hit the sweet spot in the $500 - $1000 floorstanding category.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
In the photos from the first listening test at your friends home, it looks like the speakers were placed fairly close to the front wall. Did this have much of an impact on the mid-base, giving a chesty or even muddy sound? I ask because I have been considering these speakers for a while, but have placement restrictions (WAF) that would put them near the front wall and make me think this might cause an issue. Especially with a dual rear ported speaker.
No in fact it may be helpful in most cases to give these speakers a little bass boost. As long as you leave at least 5-6 inches of clearance between the ports and wall you should be ok. If you get closer, you can always plug the ports. You should be using a powered sub with these speakers anyways to get a true full range sound.

G

gambini

Enthusiast
EMPs

No in fact it may be helpful in most cases to give these speakers a little bass boost. As long as you leave at least 5-6 inches of clearance between the ports and wall you should be ok. If you get closer, you can always plug the ports. You should be using a powered sub with these speakers anyways to get a true full range sound.
Sold!

Thanks again for the great review. Have you had a chance to hear the matching EMP Center? I'm interested in knowing how they will work in an HT setup.

S

Slee_Stack

Junior Audioholic
I considered these but was put off by the finish.

I like black and I like gloss, but I hate 'black ash' grain. The 'stunning high WAF' listed as a 'PRO' was surprising too. My SO hates the finish of these more than I do.

I suppose its unique and I'll give EMP props for trying something different, but it would be nice to see a more integrating straight gloss black. The 'odd' aesthetic was enough to steer me to Boston RS334's (that and getting the Bostons for about $100/pr cheaper...granted on sale).

The overall price/performance looks very good on these though. I'll certainly keep EMP on the radar for future consideration.

Last edited:
E

eddie

Junior Audioholic
Awesome!!!

Gene,
This speaker review is the most comprehensive review that I've read in years. Thank you so much for the time and attention to detail that you gave to this review. It made my reading of it very enjoyable. I've saved it to my favorites and know that it will be something I refer to for quite some time.

W

walker17

Enthusiast
owner impressions

I would like to hear from more owners, especially those with matching center channel.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
nice. when i was looking for new speakers, a few years ago. i was looking for those. and didn't find em.

but. i really would like to test out "just" how loud they do go, cleanly.
I have had them to about 120DB in my listening room with zero distortion. They really need a power amp to get past 95-100 cleanly, and thats not even the 55's.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
They produce a huge soundstage and can play exceedingly loud down to a modest 50 Hz
I don't get the point of buying big tower speakers that can't do bass.

...Unless the tower can produce sound you just cannot get from bookshelf speakers - like dipole speakers.

Since you will need a subwoofer anyway even for stereo music, why not get bookself speakers that are extremely accurate (say 200 Hz - 10 kHz +/- 0.9 dB on-axis & +/- 15 degrees off-axis, and 85 Hz - 20 kHz +/- 3dB) plus a great Subwoofer like Epik Empire, SVS, HSU, etc.?

Matt34

Matt34

...Unless the tower can produce sound you just cannot get from bookshelf speakers - like dipole speakers.

Since you will need a subwoofer anyway even for stereo music, why not get bookself speakers that are extremely accurate (say 200 Hz - 10 kHz +/- 0.9 dB on-axis & +/- 15 degrees off-axis, and 85 Hz - 20 kHz +/- 3dB) plus a great Subwoofer like Epik Empire, SVS, HSU, etc.?
People that need more output/midbass than what a bookshelf offers I would suppose.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
People that need more output/midbass than what a bookshelf offers I would suppose.
True.

I cannot believe I just now understand that concept!:eek::D

I need to think bigger.:D

This is why I stick around here; I learn something new every day

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
True.

I cannot believe I just now understand that concept!:eek::D

I need to think bigger.:D

This is why I stick around here; I learn something new every day
I've been using them without a sub for a while.

If they extend flat down to around 50hz, that means i'm missing roughly an octave of bass frequencies until a subwoofer is made. However what bass is there is like 95% of the bass we hear in music. I wouldn't even contemplate making a sub if i were just trying to get down to all audible frequencies - for 800 dollars this things put out excellent, loud bass from 50-200hz.

But i at least have a place to put them. On the floor. Where they stand. As floorstanders.

Also, could ya name a 800 dollar bookshelf with 88+db sensitivity which extends down to 70hz with ~200 watts of power handling? Also, there's the fact that towers shouldn't be called upon to do deep bass anyways - in that the best placement for imaging ain't the same as the best placement for bass in most rooms.

Besides, you could probably take some monster tower speakers like the revel ultima 2s with F3 at 23hz and still probably want to pair with a sub placed somewhere else crossed around 60hz or 80hz for the best sound in room.

In fact even a low crossover frequency in a passive 3 way design is undesirable in the first place for complications that introduces. Why even buy speakers with passive crossover period? We should all be buying fully active speakers and 3 amps to pair them with!

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

I don't know of any 2 way bookshelf speaker that can play as loudly as the E55s. Most bookshelfs will bottom if driven full range at high SPL levels. I discuss this in my review of the E55s.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis