Harman Refreshes Infinity Primus Series Speakers

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Harman International Industries, Incorporated (NSYE: HAR), recently announced a color refresh for the Infinity Primus Series of home theater loudspeakers. Designed to deliver sound with heightened realism, the Infinity Primus Series is back and boasting a brand-new look – this time in a sleek, industrial black color. The home entertainment system features seven speakers and three powered subwoofers, which are sold separately and can be combined to customize the ultimate experience for music lovers and home theater buffs alike.

Discuss "Harman Refreshes Infinity Primus Series Speakers" here. Read the article.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
They changed them from black to industrial black?:eek:

jinjuku

jinjuku

What is HK's real direction in the consumer space? Is the refresh strictly cosmetic?

Is the Primus line still able to hold it's own? Is the Infinity division more focused on automotive audio?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Not much information there! More like a promo.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
I don't like them as much as the xx2 series. Looks wise, it's an improvement (all black is better in this case to me), but the prices aren't the stupefying bargain they were previously. $329 each for the 363 towers isn't too bad at all considering the quality, but before the revision, they were going for as low as $100 a piece for the 362's... ahhh those were the days :)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
If you remember, the 360's went the same way.

I'm sure it will happen again.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
good, i hated the ugly silver finish, polk did the same thing with their monitor series. thank god.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Assuming this is sonically the same as the P362, I don't understand why Infinity doesn't spend a little time designing some inexpensive strategic cabinet bracing and increase cost accordingly. They do everything else so well that the cabinet resonance becomes a glaring design flaw.

For their price they are a good recommendation as budget floor-standers, but if you got rid of some of the cabinet resonance in the mid to upper bass range, they would really be the one to beat!

I guess the good news is, for someone on a budget - they could buy a pair of these, a piece of mdf, liquid nails, and borrow a jig saw to add bracing and end up with some outstanding speakers without much investment.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
They changed them from black to industrial black?:eek:
The 360 had a black wood grain vinyl finish. The 362 was similar but with a silver front and a silver grill. I think the industrial black may be painted MDF.

Is the refresh strictly cosmetic?
Seemingly.

Is the Primus line still able to hold it's own?
At that price point what else is there in the floorstander arena?
Not to mention the street price. Has anybody ever bought a pair at retail?

I don't understand why Infinity doesn't spend a little time designing some inexpensive strategic cabinet bracing and increase cost accordingly.
Infinity is making money with them the way they are at this price point.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The 360 had a black wood grain vinyl finish. The 362 was similar but with a silver front and a silver grill. I think the industrial black may be painted MDF.
Well, if they get a decent plain black finish, that would be a step up. I just don't care for Black Ash.
I suspect Infinity might actually see a reduction in production costs. Hopefully this means they could continue their legacy with this as an inexpensive entry level product for some time.

You are right, they must be making good money with there current product. Probably a bigger reason not to add bracing is these might outperform and undercut some of Infinity's own more expensive products!

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I guess the good news is, for someone on a budget - they could buy a pair of these, a piece of mdf, liquid nails, and borrow a jig saw to add bracing and end up with some outstanding speakers without much investment.
Assuming it's like their prebious models, the intereior compartmentalization is pretty odd too: with the mid-bass drivers in seperate (and apparently differently volumed) spaces.

I wonder if better bracing would essentically make these the same as the next model up. From what I've seen when I looked: Infinity is using basically the same MMD then CMMD drivers throughout their line; bracing and cabinet and crossover is where the differences come in.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis