Netflix Streaming Does 5.1 Surround Sound with Dolby Digital Plus on PS3!

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
We've been waiting for this news and we're happy to finally report that Netflix is working with Dolby Digital to finally bring 5.1 digital audio to its movie and television streaming content. Just today, Netflix and Dolby Labs announced that the companies will use Dolby Digital Plus to deliver 5.1-channel surround sound for TV shows and movies streamed instantly over the Internet. Beginning October 18, the PlayStation 3 (PS3) computer entertainment system from Sony will be the first consumer electronics device to support 5.1-channel surround sound on movies streamed from Netflix.

Discuss "Netflix Streaming Does 5.1 Surround Sound with Dolby Digital Plus on PS3!" here. Read the article.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Fantastic news... hopefully the 360 will be getting the same treatment with it's fall dashboard update. Dolby Digital Plus will give us the same audio quality as standard dts, about time they are catching up, too bad only 640k bitrate will be used with digital optical/coaxial connections.

Last edited:
patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
Nice! Now I just need to wait for my Sammy Blu Ray player to get the firmware update too! I wonder about the Roku XDS I'm thinking about getting for my bedroom?

Pat

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Good news. Too bad I hate Netflix with the white-hot passion of 1,000 suns. :mad:

Maybe if Blockbuster can stay afloat they will get this as well.

J

JAC

Enthusiast
I think VUDU has had 1080i (HDX) and 5.1 (on some movies) for quite some time.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Dolby Digital Plus will give us the same audio quality as standard dts, about time they are catching up, too bad only 640k bitrate will be used with digital optical/coaxial connections.
No, DD+ is superior to standard DTS. The closest DD+ and DTS gets is when DD+ is on BD, and DTS is on BD. For some reason, DD+ on HDDVD has twice the bitrate capability than on BD. Perhaps it has to do with being standard fare, which maybe led to some better implementation.

Since DTS is typically 768k/s on DVD, comparing DD+ in its most typical implementation can be said to have 4x the bitrate of DTS in its most typical implementation.

FilmMixer once said that DD+ is basically +99% of lossless.

Good news. Too bad I hate Netflix with the white-hot passion of 1,000 suns. :mad:

Maybe if Blockbuster can stay afloat they will get this as well.
I still don't understand why they POd you so much, but in my view, Netflix will always better BB because I don't want my movies to be edited by Mormans without my knowledge or consent.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
No, DD+ is superior to standard DTS. The closest DD+ and DTS gets is when DD+ is on BD, and DTS is on BD. For some reason, DD+ on HDDVD has twice the bitrate capability than on BD. Perhaps it has to do with being standard fare, which maybe led to some better implementation.

Since DTS is typically 768k/s on DVD, comparing DD+ in its most typical implementation can be said to have 4x the bitrate of DTS in its most typical implementation.

FilmMixer once said that DD+ is basically +99% of lossless.
From the Dolby website regarding Dolby Digital +
Data rate: 32 kbps–6 Mbps, scalable; typical range on HD optical discs is 768 kbps–1.5 Mbps

from the dts website:
DTS Digital Surround, also known as the "Core", is the high-quality standard for providing 5.1 channels of discrete digital audio in consumer products. With the ability to operate at 44.1 or 48kHz, and at a bit rate of upto 1.5Mbps, the DTS Digital Surround sets the bar for audio on DVDs. Most multi-channel home theater systems already support DTS Digital Surround, and now it is the mandatory audio format on all Blu-ray Disc Players.

It really depends on how they are implemented, but it is definitely not out of the question to say they are very comparable in certain aspects.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
It really depends on how they are implemented, but it is definitely not out of the question to say they are very comparable in certain aspects.
I believe I already addressed that in my post, specifically when both codecs in question are being compared on BD.

They are only very comparable when you take a very specific implementation that is hardly* used at all, compared to a very specific implementation that is hardly* used at all.

Just how hardly is DD+ used on BD. Try this one on for size . . . NEVER ONCE! (at least according to bd stats filter).

The core on BD does 1.5 m/s, but can you name a single AHer who only has access to core on said BD?

1.5 m/s on DVD does exist, but it is a very small proportion. I've posted some lists before on multiple occasions here, and here they are again:

12 Monkeys (Universal) 1509kbps
Antz (DreamWorks) 1509kbps Discontinued
Apollo 13 (Universal) 1509kbps Discontinued (the anniversarry edition is 754kbps)
Babe (Universal. Warning: Pan and Scan) 1509kbps Discontinued
Born on the Fourth of July (Universal) 1509kbps Discontinued (special edition is 754kbps)
Boxer, The (Universal) 1509kbps
Dances With Wolves (Image Entertainment) 1509kbps Discontinued
Dragonheart (Universal) 1509kbps
EdTV (Universal) 1509kbps
Flintstones, The (Universal) 1509kbps
For Richer or Poorer (Universal) 1509kbps
Galaxy Quest (DreamWorks) 1509kbps
Lethal Weapon (Warner) 1509kbps
Lethal Weapon 2 (Warner) 1509kbps
Lethal Weapon 3 (Warner) 1509kbps
Liar Liar (Universal. Warning: Pan and Scan) 1509kbps
Little Rascals, The (Universal) 1509kbps
Mercury Rising (Universal) 1509kbps
Mouse Hunt (DreamWorks) 1509kbps
Nutty Professor, The (Universal) 1509kbps
Out of Sight (Universal) 1509kbps
Passion of the Christ, The (20th Century Fox) 1509kbps Canada/754kbps US Standard and Definitive Edition
Peacemaker, The (DreamWorks) 1509kbps
Primary Colors (Universal) 1509kbps
Re-Animator: Millennium Edition (Elite Entertainment) 1509kbps Discontinued
River Wild, The (Universal) 1509kbps
Shadow, The (Universal. Warning: Pan and Scan) 1509kbps
Small Soldiers (DreamWorks) 1509kbps
Thin Red Line, The (20th Century Fox) 1509kbps
Virus (Universal) 1509kbps

Amistad (DreamWorks) 1509kbps
Dante's Peak (Universal) 1509kbps
Daylight (Universal) 1509kbps
Interview with the Vampire (Warner) 1509kbps
Jackal, The (Universal) 1509kbps
Patch Adams (Universal) 1509kbps Discontinued
Paulie (DreamWorks) 1509kbps
Prince of Egypt, The (DreamWorks) 1509kbps
Super Speedway: The Mach II Special Edition (Image Entertainment) 1509kbps
Twister (Warner) 1509kbps
Waterworld (Universal) 1509kbps

C

CaW

Enthusiast
DD+ on HD DVD optical disc was used to get around the DVD spec where DD was limited to 448kbs. Many DD+ HD DVD discs were just using DD+ to transcode DD to DD+, so most Warner DD+ HD DVDs were just using DD+ @ 640kbps. IOW, 640kbps DD and 640kbps DD+ are theoretically equal.

If you look at some of Dolby's whitepapers on DD+, then you will see that DD+ also had some other enhancements built-in that could be turned on in the encode process. These enhancements were added to acheive quality equivalance to DD 640kbps at lower bitrates.

DD+ is not used on BD because it was only included in the BD spec to support >5.1 channel lossy tracks (ie. 7.1 lossy). Since BD is has space to handle 7.1 lossless and most BD consumers are demanding lossless tracks, it was never really needed.

DD+ was primarily developed to be used in applications where lower bitrates are required.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
DD has a ceiling of 504 k/s on HDDVD. Not 640, that is only on BD. Where are you getting your numbers?

Do you have any links or lists to support your (obviously incorrect in terms of specific bitrate) claim that DD = DD+. After all DD+ is absolutely NOT backwards compatible with legacy decoders, unlike the DTS core stream minus extension stream.

H

hoomook@gmail.c

Audiophyte
No disc required...

I didn't see any comments mention it but you won't need a disc. PS3 will be updated on Oct 18 and netflix will be integrated into the xmb.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I still don't understand why they POd you so much, but in my view, Netflix will always better BB because I don't want my movies to be edited by Mormans without my knowledge or consent.
I don't know anything about this editing of which you speak, but I HATE Netflix because I used their service at 2 different times and both times they quickly began throttling me after my trial period was up.

Gimme a break, they were sending me movies from CT to try and slow my rental rate down. Don't tell me it's "unlimited" rentals when it really isn't. Screw Netflix!!! :mad:

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I don't know anything about this editing of which you speak, but I HATE Netflix because I used their service at 2 different times and both times they quickly began throttling me after my trial period was up.

Gimme a break, they were sending me movies from CT to try and slow my rental rate down. Don't tell me it's "unlimited" rentals when it really isn't. Screw Netflix!!! :mad:
thats really weird... i've always had the best CS with them.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
thats really weird... i've always had the best CS with them.
well today is the day, i tried things out on the ps3 and not only can you get 5.1 on some movies but most HD material is now 1080p, unfortunately the selection of 5.1 movies is quite limited. but then again netflix instant titles are quite limited as well. i've never been that impressed with it. the interface is also much better then the discs interface. AND DD+ is apparently legacy compatible. either that or it's not actually DD+ because im using a standard DD decoder and getting 5.1.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis