Verizon iPhone Finally Seems Confirmed

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Last week it was the Wall Street Journal; now the New York Times is saying that they have direct sources claiming that Apple is readying the launch of a Verizon iPhone early next year. We haven't been very excited about this for a number of reasons. First, Verizon is known to have a very closed network, wanting to sell its own apps and services - even to the extent that they will disable phone features in order to force users to purchase apps and services from them. This was most obvious with the Blackberry 8830 (disabled GPS) and the Motorola v710 (disabled Bluetooth). With the iPhone, we're wondering how they will cope with not getting a slice of all those apps and whether or not Apple has the clout to keep the company from doing something similarly stupid to the iPhone interface.

Discuss "Verizon iPhone Finally Seems Confirmed" here. Read the article.

S

schaume

Enthusiast
I've been waiting for the iPhone on Verizon for a while (like many others I suppose), but the article makes a compelling argument that again, Verizon will disable/not utilize or try to up-charge the hell out of it! In addition, CDMA as stated is old news, when are they going to 4G, it would seem sad to bring in the iPhone on CDMA/3G. Arrrgh, so frustrating, two giants trying to squeeze the hell out of the consumer, and the buyer gets screwed!

N

neuronbob

Audiophyte
To me this is good news. While AT&T provides great service where I live and work in Cleveland, and my iPhone 3GS is providing great function, I travel a lot and where I need to go, Verizon has far better signal.

I can't imagine Apple allowing the iPhone to be crippled on Verizon. I simply can't imagine another V710 debacle (I owned one and I remember what sort of screwups Verizon made in crippling that phone). I'm therefore keeping fingers crossed.

As far as it being on the 3G CDMA network.....no bother to me as again I travel a lot and Verizon's 3G CDMA network is far more widespread where I travel than AT&T's 3G GSM network. When the LTE version of iPhone 4 comes out....and it will.....I'll migrate to that. And yes, I know that LTE is coming online in Cleveland in early 2011.

In an ideal world, the iPhone 4 that is released for Verizon will be dual mode. Somehow, though, I doubt it.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I have a different take. CDMA is a more efficient technology than GSM and Verizon's network is the best. Not perfect (I use an extender at home), but it does have the best coverage. I'll be interested to see if the Verizon version fixes the iPhone's signal strength problems. I have a good friend on an AT&T iPhone 4 and conversations are frustrating with repeated disconnects and poor BT sound quality compared to his old Blackberry and the same Plantronics Voyager 510 headset.

As for 4G data I see it as cool for those running laptops etc. I don't see pay for bits (metered service) as a great thing for cell phones. But I don't surf that heavily from my Droid X and unlimited 3G seems pretty quick for casual surfing and youtube.

Last edited:
N

neuronbob

Audiophyte
What LTE should be good for is simultaneous voice and data, which I do make use of occasionally with my iPhone 3GS.

Regardless, the moment the Verizon iPhone is officially released, I will be migrating back to Verizon....switched to AT&T for the iPhone two years ago.

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
What LTE should be good for is simultaneous voice and data, which I do make use of occasionally with my iPhone 3GS.

Regardless, the moment the Verizon iPhone is officially released, I will be migrating back to Verizon....switched to AT&T for the iPhone two years ago.
I switched from Sprint to At&t about 5 years ago because
A - I had huge dead zones, especially driving between AZ to TX one was about 3 hours of no service.
B - At&t had a smart phone that I could sync with outlook.

I am on my 3rd Iphone now,as they tend not to do well when dropped. I have checked out the HTC from Sprint (My bro in law is a regional for them) and I do like it. If the coverage is as good as I have w/ At&t, I would switch, plus, I am stuck in a contract.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
If this news came out two years ago I would be stoked. However, I am completely over the iPhone. I have discovered Android. I haven't touched my iPod Touch since I got my HTC Evo. The Evo is on Sprint, of course, but I have no complaints with their coverage and I can roam on Verizon towers free of charge. CDMA is a more efficient technology and that is one reason CDMA carriers have better coverage. The only real drawback to CDMA is that it is not possible to use data while on a call.

Verizon already has many Android phones to choose from that are open and have no restrictions. I don't see why they would restrict the iPhone.

I do think Android has more potential and without the all mighty Steve Jobs controlling every little feature, it really lets one do whatever he wants.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
The android is about as sleek and sexy as a refrigerator; that thing's huge! Clunky OS compared to iOS IMO. Reasonable competitor for sure, but better? Not.

As for Verizon limiting function, there will most certainly be a jailbreak for it. My jaibroken 3GS does everything it's supposed to do including free tethering when ATT tried to charge for it.

I may take a look at this as ATT is shoddy in some places I need to go but is pretty good most of the time.

Pat

B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
Ive had every iPhone that they have made and it is one of the best phones that I have ever owned. The coverage for ATT for me is great I have no problems with it and I live in Chicago. Ive also have had all the major carriers to and ATT seem to be the best one by far even thouth they do have some problems at times all in all ATT works great for me and I love the iPhone.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
The Iphone is great as a Pocket PC and basic phone, but when it comes to business use and enterprise servers, as well as, multi data tasking its no piece of pie:)

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I may have a different experience because my phone has the HTC Sense UI but it is anything but clunky and offers a lot more functionality and customization that IOS 4 on my iPod touch. Android 2.2 is fast and pretty, at least with Sense.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The Iphone is great as a Pocket PC and basic phone, but when it comes to business use and enterprise servers, as well as, multi data tasking its no piece of pie:)
Not sure what is better than an iPhone, or what you are trying to do, but I can say that my iPod Touch on our corporate network gives me a much smoother and better experience than my Blackberry. I'm using the Touch with a Windows based system at my office with 100 or so employees and it works great. My Blackberry works -but I would never call it 'great'.

My Verizon contract is up mid-December, and if Verizon doesn't get an iPhone, I'm still getting one for myself and my wife. I'm not in love with them, but with 2 Touches, we are very comfortable and happy with the interface.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I had a Blackberry Storm before the Evo and I hated it. I was not impressed with Blackberry at all.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Blackberry does mail better than Android but I found the storm slow and clunky. The size of the Droid X took a bit of getting used to be I made a decision up front that screen size meant more to me than small. If I'd wanted small I'd have bought a Droid 2.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
The new blackberry os6 is much improved for storm users (which I am not, still with a Bold) The new torch, and the release for flash coming out, should add to the BB experience. Im not an IPhone hater, but if you need your email, especially from enterprise servers, it still is the best. What I hate about the IPhone is not the IPhone, but all the Kids rocking them and draining all the bandwidth while watching youtube vids all day and night :rolleyes: Im gonna give the Torch a try since it has a keyboard slider.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
...but if you need your email, especially from enterprise servers, it still is the best.
See, this is the second time you've said that and while I have (and hate) my BlackBerry, I find my iPhone does everything the BB does, but does it better, especially with our BlackBerry licensed MS using Exchange Server office system. Syncing my schedule between the home and office accounts (easily) and giving me all the options, etc. which should be there.

It blows me away that BB only has one touch phone, and they've limited it to one service provider and everyone else gets junk. Maybe if I had a storm I would feel differently, but the one guy I know who had a storm hated it as well.

I just know that I have very little interest in a business BB after I get a iPhone. I will probably turn mine in a just try to get another RazR.

I

IndoSlim

Audioholic Intern
The android is about as sleek and sexy as a refrigerator;

Pat
Huh? What is "the android"? Android is not a phone, it's an operating system. You obviously have no clue as to what android is or does. The good thing about Android is that it's getting better and better. Unlike iOS, it has multiple manufacturers creating top of the line hardware to run it on. Also, it gets updates more than once a year. Oh, and one more thing, I don't have to wait for it to come to a particular carrier, it's already on all of them! Even the no-name ones. I heard Cricket just got an android phone! I'm not hating on the iphone. I think it's a great piece of hardware. I just don't like the lack of options.

P.S.-GoogleTV will dominate ALL!! I can't believe that audioholics is so negative towards GTV. If all you die hard iphone fans were able to have your apps on your tv would you? Of course you would! GTV is going to be revolutionary! By this time next year, I think all you haters will be eating your words about how it's going to fail.

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
Unlike iOS, it has multiple manufacturers creating top of the line hardware to run it on. Also, it gets updates more than once a year.

P.S.-GoogleTV will dominate ALL!! I can't believe that audioholics is so negative towards GTV. If all you die hard iphone fans were able to have your apps on your tv would you? Of course you would! GTV is going to be revolutionary! By this time next year, I think all you haters will be eating your words about how it's going to fail.
Just because android gets updated, does not mean that all phones get the update. My friend has a hero and his updates come months after theyre actually released because htc needs to make sure they work fully on the device, or something along those lines.

On the google tv note, where are people being negative? I don't think I've even seen a thread about it here. EDIT: now that you commented in it, i see it.

On another note, I've owned a few different smartphones. Moto Q (sucked), Blackberry curve (slow, boring, internet didnt always work, mail didnt always work), Palm Pre (glitchy, terrible hardware, no applications), and finally the iPhone 4. The iphone is without a doubt the best phone ive used. If it only had a keyboard, it would be perfect (for me). I've also used my uncles Blackberry storm, which I can say without a doubt is the worst phone I have ever laid my fingers on. I would rather have a "dumb" phone then that paperweight.

I hope the iphone does go to verizon, so the parents of all those aforementioned kids who watch youtube videos nonstop will have a choice of carriers to clog up :D

I

IndoSlim

Audioholic Intern
Just because android gets updated, does not mean that all phones get the update. My friend has a hero and his updates come months after theyre actually released because htc needs to make sure they work fully on the device, or something along those lines.

On the google tv note, where are people being negative? I don't think I've even seen a thread about it here. EDIT: now that you commented in it, i see it.

:D
My apologies. I remember reading an opinion piece on GTV and it wasn't very positive. I thought it was on audioholics but I was wrong. After writing that last post I tried to find to no avail. So I was wrong. "Go Audioholics!"

As far as the updates for Android goes: I have the Hero. Yes, I am stuck on 2.1 and will not be getting any more OS upgrades. I can, however, root my phone and install any 2.2 rom I want. My Hero works flawlessly on 2.1. I've rooted before and had fun loading all the different roms out there but I recently came back to stock. I love my phone! I can't wait to get a newer phone with a better, faster processor. But at least I can whenever I want. I can upgrade my phone three to four times a year if I wanted (a little expensive to do but at least I have that choice). For iphone users that bought the iphone 4, good luck trying to upgrade before Apple says you can.

And since you don't like the fact that the iphone doesn't have a slide out keyboard, you can't go get one that does. I can on android. It's called "choices".

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
My apologies. I remember reading an opinion piece on GTV and it wasn't very positive. I thought it was on audioholics but I was wrong. After writing that last post I tried to find to no avail. So I was wrong. "Go Audioholics!"

As far as the updates for Android goes: I have the Hero. Yes, I am stuck on 2.1 and will not be getting any more OS upgrades. I can, however, root my phone and install any 2.2 rom I want. My Hero works flawlessly on 2.1. I've rooted before and had fun loading all the different roms out there but I recently came back to stock. I love my phone! I can't wait to get a newer phone with a better, faster processor. But at least I can whenever I want. I can upgrade my phone three to four times a year if I wanted (a little expensive to do but at least I have that choice). For iphone users that bought the iphone 4, good luck trying to upgrade before Apple says you can.

And since you don't like the fact that the iphone doesn't have a slide out keyboard, you can't go get one that does. I can on android. It's called "choices".
The hero won't be getting anymore os upgrades after 2.1? I thought it would still get the updates, but just at a different time. That sucks if you cant upgrade anymore.

How can you upgrade phones multiple times in a contract? I thought all carriers had at least 1 year contracts. In my case, not having a keyboard is not enough of a problem to make me want to give up my iphone. And it's not apple that decides when you can get an upgrade, its AT&T, which is like every other phone carrier.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis