JVC DLA-HD250 Projector First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
JVC showed us their low-cost home theater projector that delivers fairly advanced D-ILA technology at an entry-level price. The new projector, to be marketed as the DLA-HD250 by JVC Consumer and the DLA-HD250Pro by JVC Professional, is priced below $3,000 and delivers 25,000:1 native contrast ratio and 1,000 ANSI lumens brightness.

Discuss "JVC DLA-HD250 Projector First Look" here. Read the article.

K

kiwiaudionut

Audioholic
I realize this has only been out for a few months now, but i would have thought it would be snapped up by reviewers, being that it is the entry level projector from the acknowledged leader in home theater projectors.
From the little info i've read thats out there, i want to see it !
I'll admit it is at the top end of my budget, even if it is JVC's entry unit, but the only dealer listed on JVC's USA website is in NJ - that can't be right ?

I want to see for myself if this unit is worth the extra coin over the Epson 8700UB or Panasonic AE4000U I've been considering !

Dealers in Ohio ?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Magnolia sometimes has a JVC unit showing in their theater setups. Would be worth asking to see one if you are interested.

I sold one to another member here and he has been very happy with it so far. I'm more interested in their next step up - the 3D models, but I don't see that going down for the next few years for me.

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
Magnolia sometimes has a JVC unit showing in their theater setups. Would be worth asking to see one if you are interested.

I sold one to another member here and he has been very happy with it so far. I'm more interested in their next step up - the 3D models, but I don't see that going down for the next few years for me.
I am a new HD250 owner (courtesy of BMX-thanks!), and I have been extremely satisfied with the HD250-it has met or exceeded all my expectations for a high performance home theater projector. I came from a Panasonic AE900U which conveniently needed replacement, so the JVC was a revelation in many ways besides just 1080p resolution. I'm glad to see a more in-depth review of this fine projector-hopefully I will soon have some company in my praise from other new owners.

K

kiwiaudionut

Audioholic
Hi Audiofox, please tell me a little about your setup - Throw distance, screen width etc. My intended throw will be around 19' onto a 120-130" Seymour center stage Xd screen. Even though my setup will be in a fully light controlled room, I'm concerned about light output at these specs enough that I want to demo, but i might be out of luck for realistic travel distance.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
It won't be super bright, but you should see about 16fl - 18fl, with theaters spec'ed at about 12fl. With the longer throw, you'll have better contrast aided by less brightness resulting in deeper black level.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Hi Audiofox, please tell me a little about your setup - Throw distance, screen width etc. My intended throw will be around 19' onto a 120-130" Seymour center stage Xd screen. Even though my setup will be in a fully light controlled room, I'm concerned about light output at these specs enough that I want to demo, but i might be out of luck for realistic travel distance.
There are at several of us with the XD and large screen. There are at least a couple of us with JVC particularly, with the screen size you're looking at, actually both are 126". Mine is the one that started it all with JVC, the RS1, and the other is the extremely nice RS35.

I can't even call my own fully light controlled, but as BMX might ask you, do you know what that means? It's not just blocking out sunlight, but the in room reflections from your PJ. The only way I can see being "fully" controlled is if EVERYTHING was covered in *velvet*, as even flat black paint still has plenty of reflectivity in comparison. That said, there are indeed a decent amount of consumers with medium colors and this size of screen.

In a "well" controlled room, I personally have no fear of ~125" with the HD250.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=767982&postcount=49

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36461&page=76

K

kiwiaudionut

Audioholic
Ok, by that definition, I guess my room is not fully light controlled. I should have said that i have zero ambient light maybe !
I'm struggling to find the JVC and i'm getting no response for dealer location requests.
If I can't find one to demo, i'll probably go with the Epson. There is a lot of local support for those.

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
My room has blackout shades but is not fully light controlled, as the walls are painted with flat paint but are a medium tan color (ie, no velvet walls). I have two torchieres that provide general and indirect lighting and usually can leave one of them on when viewing non-critical programs (ie, sporting events and other TV shows from my cable box). I project onto a Da-Lite Model B 92" 16x9 screen with a screen gain of 1.1 (high contrast matte white material). The projector throw distance is at the upper limit of around 18 1/2 feet (possibly a bit more) with slight right and upper offsets from the screen center (corrected with the lens shift). The projector is noticeably brighter than my old Panny AE900, but the bulb is still fairly new and has not experienced much, if any degradation in the lamp output yet. Hope this helps you with your decision.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis