Harman Kardon AVR 3600 AV Receiver Video Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
At just under $1000 the Harman Kardon AVR 3600 isn't a cheap receiver. So, what exactly do you get for all that additional money? Well, for one, you get more power. People like to read specs and the first thing you may note about the Harman Kardon AVR 3600 is that it "only" has 80 watts going to each of its 7-channels. The thing is, Harman has always been a little odd in how it rates its receivers and if you want an apples-to-apples number, we'd put their 80 watts at around 105 watts or more - but that's just an estimate.

Discuss "Harman Kardon AVR 3600 AV Receiver Video Review" here. Read the article.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Nice review but a couple of significant points were missed... :rolleyes:

1. No mention of Dolby Volume, the dynamic range control plus frequency tonal contouring
2. No mention of the Bridge III dock which is included for iPod/iPhone
3. No mention that when playing video through the Bridge III since iTunes now has available downloadable HD content, it can be played back @ 720p

Just my $0.02... ;)

We were so over on time we decided to show the dock and let people figure it out, lol. Dolby Volume is still technically "new" but I've been so inundated with it that it doesn't seem newsworthy anymore - my bad.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
We were so over on time we decided to show the dock and let people figure it out, lol. Dolby Volume is still technically "new" but I've been so inundated with it that it doesn't seem newsworthy anymore - my bad.
Clint..
No biggee, its just that those features are IMHO quite significant that could easily be overlooked. The HD video handling from an iPod/iPhone is a very unique feature as the majority of the competition can only handle 480i.

For the Dolby Volume feature it actually requires a 2nd DSP (CL 49DV8) and is very effective for dynamic range control with compressed streams as well as late-nite listening sessions.

Regarding the 3600 power output specs, HK has revised somewhat their method of previous power output disclosures. Traditionally, HK would disclose it power output when driven into both 2-CH and 7-CH modes into 8 Ohms, 20Hz-20kHz and THD @ <0.07%. And the 2-CH spec was 15W > than the 7-CH spec, however since this was not understood well by the market. They simply decided to publish the higher number but both are still disclosed in the Service Manual and dealer-only tech sheets.

Though it is debateable the benefit of all channels driven.. :rolleyes:
The HK AVR team continues this philosophy, just check out the size and weight for their power transformers. However as Class D solutions begin their mass market penetration and gardually replace the traditional Class AB, power output disclosures standards will be revised once again.

I like your reviews and reports, keep them coming..

Just my $0.02.... ;)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
From my experience, H/K has always underrated the power in their receivers. I love when companies do this so it allows me to sing their praises while I have their products on the test bench :D

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Clint..
No biggee, its just that those features are IMHO quite significant that could easily be overlooked. The HD video handling from an iPod/iPhone is a very unique feature as the majority of the competition can only handle 480i.

For the Dolby Volume feature it actually requires a 2nd DSP (CL 49DV8) and is very effective for dynamic range control with compressed streams as well as late-nite listening sessions.

Regarding the 3600 power output specs, HK has revised somewhat their method of previous power output disclosures. Traditionally, HK would disclose it power output when driven into both 2-CH and 7-CH modes into 8 Ohms, 20Hz-20kHz and THD @ <0.07%. And the 2-CH spec was 15W > than the 7-CH spec, however since this was not understood well by the market. They simply decided to publish the higher number but both are still disclosed in the Service Manual and dealer-only tech sheets.

Though it is debateable the benefit of all channels driven.. :rolleyes:
The HK AVR team continues this philosophy, just check out the size and weight for their power transformers. However as Class D solutions begin their mass market penetration and gardually replace the traditional Class AB, power output disclosures standards will be revised once again.

I like your reviews and reports, keep them coming..

Just my $0.02.... ;)
I always liked the way HK rated their receivers. I did notice however they changed something when this new series came out. Now it all makes sense. Thanks.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
Clint, this looks more like a first look than a review.

What about room correction features? Also, can the video processing be disabled (It can't on many HK models)?

O

onenote

Audiophyte
interesting 3d software update too

found this video online and it takes you though a sowtware update process to HDMI 1.4a I found it on youtube listed by user hyperconnected08
:):):):)

A

angryjanitor69

Audiophyte
Hk avr 3600

can you confirm that the AVR 3600 supports both True Dolby HD and DTS-HD?
I'm looking at purchasing this unit and want to be sure that it supports both of these formats.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I find this really funny about how HK rates their AVRs power. Those who only look at advertised specs might have missed out because they thought HK AVRs don't offer enough power. Those (some but not all) who know about their traditional way of rating their power outputs could well be misled to believe HK's 80WPC $1000 AVRs in fact offer more 'real' power than Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer models in the same price range.

Let's ignore the advertised/published numbers, tests after tests after tests by HTM, S&V, HCC etc. show the 80W rated HK would get you about 105W (may be a little more) just like Clint said; and most $1000 Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, Onkyo models have their lab measured 2 ch output > their published numbers and would generally be >120W while their ACR numbers could be much less. So the whole thing is confusing for the average consumer and may be the best way to compare apple to apple is to use the figures $ per lab measured watt for both 2 channel and ACD. The consumer can then make his informed decision. Some may focus more on the 2 channel number while others may go for the superior ACD numbers.

Just a side note, based on lab measured numbers, at around $1000 street price, Denon's 4310 seems unbeatable in both 2 ch and ACD. HTM's lab numbers show the > 40lbs HKAVR630 tested lower output than the Denon AVR3805. It is unlikely that the 3600 can do better.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Just a side note, based on lab measured numbers, at around $1000 street price, Denon's 4310 seems unbeatable in both 2 ch and ACD. HTM's lab numbers show the > 40lbs HKAVR630 tested lower output than the Denon AVR3805. It is unlikely that the 3600 can do better.
Comparing the Denon 4310 to the HK 3600 seems a little out of balance, since the original SRP of the 4310 is double that of the 3600. Especially for the power output specifications..

Kinda like comparing a Toyota Yaris to a Toyota Camry.. :rolleyes:
However at the present closeout price of the $999 for the 4310, plus being bult in Japan it is one of the best buys out there.

Just my $0.02... ;)

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
any more updates on what this receiver can or can't do? it's current price seems to be real attractive to replace my Denon 2309/2307

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis