Onkyo PA-MC5500 9 Channel THX Amplifier First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
When Onkyo released their PR-SC5508 THX Certified Processor, they didn't have to ask someone to build them an amp, they just ported over the THX Certified PA-MC5500 from the UK. The PA-MC5500 has nine channels of amplification rated at 150 watts each at 8 ohms driving a single channel into 1kHz. It may easy for some to dismiss the PA-MC5500 based on it's less-than-rigorous power ratings. Don't be dissuaded. At a paltry $1699 MSRP (and a street price sure to be less), the PA-MC5500 has plenty of power for most systems. Add to that the convenience of having all nine channels in a single box, the piece of mind that THX certification brings and the matching aesthetics to the new PR-SC5508 and you've got more than one consumer interested.

Discuss "Onkyo PA-MC5500 9 Channel THX Amplifier First Look" here. Read the article.

Z

ZeGhostbear

Junior Audioholic
German title includes "outstanding spatiality and enormous dynamics".

They give it a lot of pluses and only a couple of minuses (see very end of reivew). I guess they liked it a lot overall giving it their "Outstanding" seal.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
150w @ 1khz w/1channel driven? That's a pretty dismal spec. I would think that something like a $700 Emotiva UPA-7 that does 125w @20-20khz w/all channels driven would just about have to eat the Onkyo's lunch. But who knows, maybe I'm missing something.

dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
Basically they just took the amp section from the 5007 and threw it into its own shell.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think it looks great aesthetically, and 9 channels of amp is very cool.

It would have been nice if the power output is 150WPC x 9ch from 20Hz-20kHz @ < 1% THD.:D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm not impressed by this amp and I think one can do much better else where. Personally, I would have liked to see more than 22000uF of capacitance on a 9 channel power amp. The other thing I find suspecty is their power rating at 1KHz. Why would they suddenly adopt this rating when their AVRs mention full audio bandwidth? The jury is out until thoroughly tested.

K

kevon27

Annoying Poster
This amp is for people who like to match their gear. If you have the newest onkyo pre/pro, you will get this amp to match. Now smart people will just go Emotiva and be done.

dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
This amp is for people who like to match their gear. If you have the newest onkyo pre/pro, you will get this amp to match. Now smart people will just go Emotiva and be done.
I have to agree with you there.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis