VIDEO REVIEW: JBL Control 2.4G Wireless Speakers

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
JBL has long been associated with both pro audio as well as solid home theater systems. Now, they are breaking into new ground with their Control 2.4G Wireless Surround Speakers that guarantee anyone can enjoy surround sound - even without wires... or at least without speaker wires... or at least without speaker wires going to your surround speakers from the front of the room... OK, it's a little complicated but it does offer some advantages over standard wired surrounds if you can facilitate everything that is needed.

Discuss "JBL Control 2.4G Wireless Speakers Video Review" here. Read the article.

I get a cameo! I get a cameo! By the way, I'm 5' 10" with my shoes on.... so you can see how tall our friend Andrew is!

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Anyone else find this idea pointless? I would imagine a wireless solution like this would be a great option in an environment that you cannot run wires through walls or modify the structure in any way.....kinda defeats the purpose of having wireless speakers if they have to be tethered together with a wire....if you were in an apartment for example how would you run the required wire to the right speaker cleanly? This would be very difficult and not any easeir than just saving money in the first place and buying normal speakers...I do like the idea of having a subwoofer out though, this could come in very handy for those with tricky rooms or those running more than 1 subwoofer.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Agreed. Each speaker should have its own powered amp built in. This is not a very smart wireless solution IMO.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I'm imagining Ashley humping something while reading the press release for this product. This will further solidify [in his mind] that the Control series speakers from JBL are the best speakers out there.

I also imagine him [in some sort of preamptive strike] going out and buying 10 power strips and several extension cords in preperation of getting more than just a few sets of these to cover his walls.:D

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Anyone else find this idea pointless? I would imagine a wireless solution like this would be a great option in an environment that you cannot run wires through walls or modify the structure in any way.....kinda defeats the purpose of having wireless speakers if they have to be tethered together with a wire....if you were in an apartment for example how would you run the required wire to the right speaker cleanly? This would be very difficult and not any easeir than just saving money in the first place and buying normal speakers...I do like the idea of having a subwoofer out though, this could come in very handy for those with tricky rooms or those running more than 1 subwoofer.
Agreed. Each speaker should have its own powered amp built in. This is not a very smart wireless solution IMO.
I feel the same way. I just thought I'd be nice and keep my mouth shut but since the cats out of the bag:D...I can't imagine anyone using these as surround speakers.:confused:

The way I look at it, most people put surrounds on stands behind a couch or something (I can pull 4-5 people off my list of local friends right off the bat who do this). It's more common than you think. For that, this works just fine. Now, if you are wall-mounting, forget it... but I don't think that was the design intention here.

J

JJMP50

Full Audioholic
I can see them as a solution for a set of mobile patio speakers (gotta bring them in after your done) but as surrounds at best they remind me of my very first set of surrounds...little KLH metal things. But I think I only paid about $30 for them.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I can see them as a solution for a set of mobile patio speakers (gotta bring them in after your done) but as surrounds at best they remind me of my very first set of surrounds...little KLH metal things. But I think I only paid about $30 for them.
The Control series is much better than the KLH version. KLH copies the appearance, not the sound.;)

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I'm sure the speakers have their place but I'd think it was as patio speakers. The review itself was excellent. I really like the format and it looked very professional.

T

timmay8612

Audioholic
I could easily have utilized these as-is in my previous rental. As some have said, surrounds were to the back/sides of my couch, with a power outlet close by. I just happened to already have conventional surrounds and didn't mind running wires under the rug. Such is life in a rental.

One thought is that with a single amplifier, you only have to run one power cord instead of two, so for certain applications this might work out better.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
These things are on sale at Fry's for 30-50% off that list price pretty much every other month.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis