Flat Panel Mounting Safety Tips

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Parent would do well to consider this a must-read article to help prevent accidents at home. This applies, primarily, to those who haven't yet installed their flat panel TVs on the wall (and we are big proponents of mounting your flat screen TVs in order to maximize the benefits of the new technology). But an accident can only take a second. Children can be seriously hurt or even killed as a direct result of furniture and televisions falling on them.

Discuss "Flat Panel Mounting Safety Tips" here. Read the article.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
Good article on safety. Something that seems to take a back seat all too often to everything else.

It is amazing how lazy some people get when placing a flat panel TV.

Hanging it on the wall not only looks good, but can really improve the audio quality potential around the center speaker.

G

graceg

Audiophyte
TV Mounts Safety

I just bought a Sanus AMF112-B1. Holds up to 60lbs, am mounting an old flatscreen HP which is 56 lbs. My concern is safety. It affixes to the wall very safely onto the posts with 3 long screws, it also has a very strong bracket that fits on the back of the TV. But my concern is where it swivels. It has this small mount with a small metal rod. I can't help but think it is the weak point and could break and fall on someone. Am new to this forum, do I have to proactively log back in to see if I got a reply? Thanks.

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
I just bought a Sanus AMF112-B1. Holds up to 60lbs, am mounting an old flatscreen HP which is 56 lbs. My concern is safety. It affixes to the wall very safely onto the posts with 3 long screws, it also has a very strong bracket that fits on the back of the TV. But my concern is where it swivels. It has this small mount with a small metal rod. I can't help but think it is the weak point and could break and fall on someone. Am new to this forum, do I have to proactively log back in to see if I got a reply? Thanks.
Two replies in the thread you started...

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
As a general rule, I like things rated for much more weight than I ever plan on putting on it. Your situation should be okay (assuming you installed it correctly into studs), but it is closer to the limits than I would ever recommend doing.

Regarding the article:

For renters for whom wall mounting isn't an option, there are pieces of furniture which have mounting brackets like a wall mount that would make it less likely to fall over than just placing it on top of a cabinet. With a well-made one of these pieces of furniture, one would have to pull over the entire piece of furniture to pull the TV on top of oneself.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Regarding the article:

For renters for whom wall mounting isn't an option, there are pieces of furniture which have mounting brackets like a wall mount that would make it less likely to fall over than just placing it on top of a cabinet. With a well-made one of these pieces of furniture, one would have to pull over the entire piece of furniture to pull the TV on top of oneself.
Article is older than some of the products you're talking about I'd wager :)

My panel sits in front of a window, so definitely no mounting option. I used one of these

Amazon.com: Bell'O PP59B TV Mount Holds Up To 63-inches or 175lbs TV Black: Electronics

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis