Onkyo TX-NR708 Networked AV Receiver Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Newly upgraded to include networked functionality from the preceding TX-SR707, the TX-NR708 is fifth in Onkyo's refresh to its line up of receivers. The TX-NR708 is a 7.2 channel receiver that features a THX Certified Select 2 Plus amplifier section rated for 110 watts at 8 ohms from 20 Hz to 20 kHz. While losing some functionality from the upper models, the TX-NR708 still appears to be a capable mid-range receiver that is packed with features.

Discuss "Onkyo TX-NR708 Networked AV Receiver Preview" here. Read the article.

B

brad.clarkston

Audiophyte
I picked up the 708 at my local Nebraska Furniture Mart the day after it became available (I was going to get the 608 until I realized they had the 708) and so far it's working great.

I only have a pair of Paradigm Atom v5 Bookshelf's and a Final S110 sub connected to it at the moment so I can't properly test it's full capabilities but so far it's integrated seamlessly into my home theater setup (AT&T Uverse, Oppo BDP-83, Roku HD, and home brew linux media server). I had no problems connecting it to my network or setting up the streaming radio presets.

It does have a Windows 7 compatible sticker on the front face plate just to the left of the front HDMI port. I can take a picture of that if you want me to verify it.

- Brad

O

ortsac3123

Audiophyte
Hey Brad,

I was born in Nebraska but moved to California at the age of 9 and now living in Hungary. I am in the market to purchase the TX-NR 708. I noticed that the price is significantly higher in Europe than in the States and this is really causing me to look for other options but with similar specs to the TX-NR 708. Are there any suggestions from anyone? The key is the Ethernet port. At the price in the US, I would have purchased this system when I fist saw it. Any tips for picking this system up in Europe for a price close to that in the States?- AJ

R

ruzveh

Audiophyte
Hello to all

Just for your info guys onkyo tx-nr708 consumes 3 times more power than onkyo tx-nr808. So its wise to go in for onkyo tx-nr808 than 708 model. Where 708 consumes over 500watt 808 consumes just over 150watt. Checkout the huge difference. This is the main reason why these companies doesnt not reveal power consumption factor in their specification when the whole world is displaying it and moving towards green factor.

Now you would like to know the source, right???

Noticed this on shopping.com

When i tried to contact these companies and ask for justification i havent got any single reply from them. I am really shocked.

shopping.com/Onkyo-TX-NR708/info
&
shopping.com/Onkyo-Onkyo-TX-NR808-7-2-Channel-Network-A-V-Receiver-Black/info

R

ruzveh

Audiophyte
Just for your info guys onkyo tx-nr708 consumes 3 times more power than onkyo tx-nr808. So its wise to go in for onkyo tx-nr808 than 708 model. Where 708 consumes over 500watt 808 consumes just over 150watt. Checkout the huge difference. This is the main reason why these companies doesnt not reveal power consumption factor in their specification when the whole world is displaying it and moving towards green factor.

Now you would like to know the source, right???

Noticed this on shopping.com

When i tried to contact these companies and ask for justification i havent got any single reply from them. I am really shocked.

shopping.com/Onkyo-TX-NR708/info
&
shopping.com/Onkyo-Onkyo-TX-NR808-7-2-Channel-Network-A-V-Receiver-Black/info

A

alboccio

Audiophyte
TX-NR708 power consumption

FYI ruzveh, I believe neither of the power ratings at shopping.com are correct. The 708 uses 6.3 A @ 120 v that's 724 W, the 808 uses 7.5 A that's 862 W. Of course this the max power, at low output they are both much lower.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
FYI ruzveh, I believe neither of the power ratings at shopping.com are correct. The 708 uses 6.3 A @ 120 v that's 724 W, the 808 uses 7.5 A that's 862 W. Of course this the max power, at low output they are both much lower.
I hate to do this but the info you provided are not quite correct.

D

docrings

Audiophyte
Onkyo quality control slipping alot, it seems....

Google
The "OFFICIAL" Onkyo RC270, NR708,NR808, NR1008, NR5008, Integra 80.2 Failure Thread

Not good....

:eek:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis