Yamaha RX-A1000 Aventage Receiver First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Yamaha has done away with their RX-V designation for a new line of AV receiver products it is dubbing its Aventage line. There are three products, and the most entry level in the line is the new RX-A1000. This new receiver features a new double bottom construction for more rigidity, plus Yamaha has added a fifth foot (which they call the "A.R.T. wedge") to stabilize the center of the receiver as well as a stabilizing bar they call an H-cross frame. Yamaha claims that their physical case modifications are yielding "noticeable sound improvements". We'll leave that to the listener to decide, but we'll reserve judgment on just how much audible difference a fifth foot or crossmember will yield in the typical listening room.

Discuss "Yamaha RX-A1000 Aventage Receiver First Look" here. Read the article.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That looks hot, except those idiots should have made the Pure Direct Button the same size as the Zone button.:D

Why didn't Yamaha call me and ask for my advice?:rolleyes:

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
It seems Yamaha is recycling numbers; my first Yamaha stereo amplifier was the A1000, purchased in 1983.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
7 HDMI inputs and 2 out, that is very nice, hopefully the amp section on that is decent.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
RX-A1000
Product Weight (lbs.) 32.4 lbs

RX-V1800
Product Weight (lbs.) 37.3 lbs

RX-V1065
Product Weight (lbs.) 24.5 lbs

The 1800 is speced at 130wx7 which may account for the heavier weight. the 1065 which I never liked but is rated the same as the A1000 is 8 pounds less. At first glance this is looking encouraging. It looks good on paper..Can't wait or the full review. :)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
There are actually 5 models starting with the RX-A700 for $599. All models feature discrete amplification with full bandwidth power ratings. This is the most encouraging thing I've seen from Yamaha in years. Apparently my article Trading Amplifier Quality for Features really resonated over there :D

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Do the new Yamaha receivers allow you to set separate crossover frequencies for different channels?

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Looking at the manual for the RX-A1000, it looks like the crossover setting is global.

May be different on the higher end models, but at least from the RX-A1000 down, it's likely the same... -TD

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
lame... Yamaha needs to get with the program.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
It does appear the RX-A2000 does have independent crossover settings for Front, Center and Surrounds. -TD

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm confused. If Yamaha is ditching the RX-V designation for the RX-A, why introduce their new RX-V xx7 series? :confused:

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I'm confused. If Yamaha is ditching the RX-V designation for the RX-A, why introduce their new RX-V xx7 series? :confused:
I guess the RX-A's are a step above...are the RX-A's exclusive to certain distributors? Is the RX-V line on the way out? Inquiring minds want to know.:)

J

Juan_01

Audiophyte
The Explanation

The RX-A receivers are starting to sell @ $650 and going upwards. The RX-V##7 are all below the $600 mark. All the RX-A reveirers i think is going to replace the "old rx-v" more expensive recievers while the buget reveivers are staying with the rx-v logo. Quite a nice trick to let you opt for the more expensive models(buying a different class reciever). For whats it worth i think the new rx-a line-up is quite impresive.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Do I read this correctly...that the RX-A1000 (et al) allows for 7-channel surround AND bi-amped mains...ala Onkyo 5007? The blurbs hint at it but don't spell it out for dummies like me.

To me, this would be a big selling point. 5-channel surround plus bi-amping is so....yesterday. ;)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Do I read this correctly...that the RX-A1000 (et al) allows for 7-channel surround AND bi-amped mains...ala Onkyo 5007? The blurbs hint at it but don't spell it out for dummies like me.

To me, this would be a big selling point. 5-channel surround plus bi-amping is so....yesterday.
Yes I believe the RX-A3000 allows up to 9.2 while the RX-A2000 does up to 9.1 using an external amp. This is pretty cool and something I've been begging Yamaha to do for years but only offered on their RX-Z11 and previous flagship models.

B

blindcat7

Enthusiast
According to Yamaha's page, the RX-A3000 can do up to 11.2 using this feature, while the RX-A2000 says 9 channel expandability+biamping.

Yamaha has made my decision on which way to go for my upgrade much more difficult now. I was set on the HK AVR 3600, then added the Pio VSX-1120K to the list while still being tempted to go back to Denon, and now Yamaha has to go and put themselves back solidly on my radar after years of not even being a consideration for me. These look extremely interesting and it wouldn't take too much extra saving to move up to the 1000 from the models I've been considering and, I might even be tempted to save up a bit more and go for the 2000 for the extra power. As a user who can't read the OSD and the panel, the possibility that the PC control setup might work with my screenreader and that the IPod control app might be blind accessible via the Voiceover function on the iPhone and iPod Touch is intriguing to say the least. These little convenience features that make things a bit easier on the average user could open up a whole new world of usability for visually impaired A/V fans like myself. Now if I could just figure out a way to squeeze in some tactile labels on the back panel that wouldn't get in the way of inputs and outputs I could actually change around my setup whenever I want without inciting the wrath of my non-A/V fan sighted help.

Does anyone know if Yammy offers Dolby Volume or a similar feature to save me from the commercial volume shock syndrome?

Regards,

Chris

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis