BDP-S1700ES Blu-ray 3D Player First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Adding to its high-end 3D capabilities Sony has announced new entries into its ES line that feature HDMI 1.4 capable receivers and, more significantly for this article, the BDP-S1700ES 3D Blu-ray player. The new Sony equipment is designed to sit alongside your BRAVIA HDTVs with 3D capabilities. But if you want to spend mid-fi money on products with the Sony logo, you’ll now have to go to the brick-and-mortar store to buy your hardware as internet dealers are getting the-pinch. Sony has basically announced that the new products are available exclusively at specialty AV shops and custom installers.

Discuss "BDP-S1700ES Blu-ray 3D Player First Look" here. Read the article.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Yawn. They don't even try to make it look different from the comparative non-ES model. Sony ES is supposed to make a statement, other than a small emblem on the front in gold that says ES or Elevated Standard. I'm not sure how elevated the standard is, considering it looks no different from any other Sony Blu-ray player.

What happened to making stuff that looks like this?

In my opinion, the buggy BDP-S1 was their best looking Blu-ray player, and it doesn't compare to some of the SACD and DVD players that Sony put years ago.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Yawn. They don't even try to make it look different from the comparative non-ES model. Sony ES is supposed to make a statement, other than a small emblem on the front in gold that says ES or Elevated Standard. I'm not sure how elevated the standard is, considering it looks no different from any other Sony Blu-ray player.

What happened to making stuff that looks like this?

In my opinion, the buggy BDP-S1 was their best looking Blu-ray player, and it doesn't compare to some of the SACD and DVD players that Sony put years ago.

beauty is only skin deep..ugly goes down to the bone. :D Let the tests reveal what its capable off.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
beauty is only skin deep..ugly goes down to the bone. :D Let the tests reveal what its capable off.
It may perform excellent, I'm just confused about why they feel it's acceptable to make their ES equipment look like their regular old hum drum stuff.

P

PhilCohen

Audioholic
Adding to its high-end 3D capabilities Sony has announced new entries into its ES line that feature HDMI 1.4 capable receivers and, more significantly for this article, the BDP-S1700ES 3D Blu-ray player. The new Sony equipment is designed to sit alongside your BRAVIA HDTVs with 3D capabilities. But if you want to spend mid-fi money on products with the Sony logo, you’ll now have to go to the brick-and-mortar store to buy your hardware as internet dealers are getting the-pinch. Sony has basically announced that the new products are available exclusively at specialty AV shops and custom installers.

Discuss "BDP-S1700ES Blu-ray 3D Player First Look" here. Read the article.
Sony's practice(in prohibiting online sales of these products) is better known as price fixing. Sony won't be the only game in town for 3D blu-Ray players for long, if they even are right now.
I'm reminded of Sony's introduction of the first Compact Disc player. They priced it at an absurd $1000 and restricted it to only two dealers in each state, snubbing thousands of long-term dealers. The restricted availability was to make sure that nobody discounted it.
The "advantages" of list price "salon" hifi dealers are grossly exaggerated. Their repair services are not neccessarily any better than those of so-called "Factory Authorised" service centers, and in my experience, the salon dealers have been much less successful in repairing equipment. And for major brand, mass market,mid-price equipment, these days, more people are throwing out equipment(and buying new products) rather than repair, which has led to a drastic drop in the amount of electronics repair shops around the country.
I expect that Sony will eventually end their restrictiveness over the 3D blu-Ray players, when the majority of their competitors all bring out similar units. After all, their restrictiveness over CD players couldn't last. Today, hundreds of companies make CD players. There are many parts of the country with few, if any audio/video dealers, and for consumers in these areas, buying from online or mail-order dealers is the only way to purchase. If Sony doesn't want that part of the market, their competitors will be more than happy to fill the void. Sony's actions are essentially cutting off their own noses to spite their faces.
Personally, I have no interest in 3D. Early adopters will have to deal with an assortment of brand to brand HDMi compatability issues, and reports are that prolonged 3D viewing is giving many viewers headaches. 3D is a headache that I don't need. It is a rather significant omen that Japanese consumers have shown little interest in 3D.
And, to what extent is a Sony product really a Sony anymore? (except at the design stage). The major brands are all farming out the actual manufacturing to anonymous Chinese OEM suppliers. Sony has long counted on the idea that having the Sony name on a product is justification to get the consumer to pay a higher price than that of a similar product by another major brand. Mystique can only go so far, and there's a fair amount of consumers who couldn't care less about mystique.
Attempts at price fixing(and the trend of the high end companies to raise the list prices on existing products) are not going to do anything to help sales, during times that the media portrays as the new "great depression"......when consumers are much less likely to buy.

P

paul_houle

Audiophyte
Stupid...

Vendors of quite a few luxury products only bother to have stores in NYC and LA -- yet an article in the Economist quotes the example of one luxury brand that was astonished to discover that it had customers in the other 48 states once it started selling online... And came to see that it could be selling 2x-3x as much stuff as they do now.

People who buy expensive products often have more money than time, and they just might not want to drive a few hours and deal with useless (in fact, outright harmful) salespeople -- particularly when the only benefit of doing so is you get the product a few months ahead of everybody else.

thejumbo

thejumbo

Audiophyte
And yet in all of that, no one mentions that this carries the 5 year warranty of all ES pieces. For $400, that is a damn bargain.

And what is wrong with Sony preventing online sales and dictating what dealers sell their products for? If everyone who carries Sony has to sell at the same price, then it becomes about the product and the service from the dealer that make the decision for the buyer, not a cheaper price - the way it ought to be.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
All,

Today's A/V electronics are so complex as to require many folks to seek an installer. Installer's sell equipment. Taking ES off line gives an installer an incentive to carry ES. Is it a good move for Sony? Well, they still do everything other than ES on line, and ES today, at least right now, is nothing more than a handful of receivers and one Blu-Ray player. One thing I think Sony is missing in their line-up today is a pre-amp/processor. Update the TA-E9000es and I'm sure it would sell quite well.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I just picked up a brand new Sony BPD-S370 and I think it's quality is very good, the build seems decent for it's price, and all the internet connectivity features are very nice, I'm using a Linksys wireless bridge to give it a wireless N connection and it works extremely well, plus streams media from my pc via DLNA using WMP. Sony does seem to offer more than it's competitors in their price range though, at least from what I've seen.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis