Marantz SR7005 7.1 A/V Networking Receiver First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Marantz SR7005 is a 3D ready 7.1 A/V Networking receiver sporting the looks and performance of their reference gear at more affordable prices. From their all newly designed GUI OSD to their streaming support of services such as Pandora and Rhapsody, the SR7005 is ready to serve as the center piece of your A/V entertainment system. The SR7005 has plenty of muscle to power your speakers with its 125wpc x 7 amplifier section and oversized analog power supply. Audyssey MultEQ XT equalization is available for all HD audio formats to ensure optimal sound for all listening modes. We are looking forward to engaging a formal review of the SR7005 as we have high hopes for its performance and operation given the recent trend of Marantz building a better product which each new generation.

Discuss "Marantz SR7005 7.1 A/V Networking Receiver First Look" here. Read the article.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Now that is one cool looking AVR. The rest of the SR*005 line looks awesome spec wise as well. And of course, the new slim line receiver is promising, because that means the previous model must have been quite successful. Hopefully we'll see expansion on that in the future.

B

bakerwi

Audiophyte
Nice prelim write-up. FYI: The Marantz SR7002 had 2 HDMI outputs not 1 as mentioned in your write-up.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Please post some pics of the GUI, I am curious of the new AV 7005 Pre-Amp version, it it has sparked my interests at its price point.
Curious if its the same as Denons which are shared resources from the mother company....

Unfortunately - since these products have already been announced, they will not be including the new upcoming version of Audyssey XT32 which looks interesting, BUT at least one can still use Audyssey Pro in conjunction with these new units and they are not processor limited like the AV8003.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
DOH !!!! didn't think they would have pics in the manual, good one buddy.... thanks

M

mrjktcvs

Audiophyte
When you look at it again, please test whether or not there is a signal available on the optical SPDIF output when tuned into an FM station that has an HD channel. I'm very interested in this feature.

D

ducme

Audiophyte
Gene,

In your Executive Overview section, you highlight that the SR7005 is a replacement of the SR7002 "as the second from the top of the line flagship model yet to be announced".

Have you heard any news or even credible rumors about an upcoming SR8005 (SR8006?) as the top of the line flagship model? I've been waiting 18+ months for an update to the SR8002. I've read many glowing reviews for the SR7005, which tempt me to get one, but after having waited that long, I'm willing to wait until the end of 2011 if I knew I could get an SR8002 replacement, especially one with XT32.

I have seen a couple of references to an AV8005 (I believe in one of the Audyssey forums), but nothing so far about an SR8005. Your quote above about a "yet to be announced" flagship model is all I've seen. I'd love to know whether this wait for an SR8005 is in vain.

D

dsharp

Audiophyte
Any word on timing for full review of SR7005? It would help me in my decision-making process.

I'm debating the Marantz SR7005 and the Yamaha RXA3000. Both have pretty much the same specs. I'm most interested in two-channel music (jazz, vocals, rock) but will use for movies, as well. For the fronts, I'll be using Paradigm mini monitors, which are relaxed/mellow.

Anyone out here listen to both side by side and have any impressions?

Unfortunately, a side-by-side comparison isn't possible in my town.

I listened to the SR5005 and wasn't blown away. It didn't seem to pair well with my speakers. But I'm sure SR7005 is an improvement.

As for Yamaha, this unit seems to be a step up from recent offerings and is probably the safer bet in terms of long-term reliability. But in the end, it's all about the sound.

tnx, dsharp, i.e., the newbie

(I know Denon and Onkyo are great, but I've narrowed it down to these two)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Any word on timing for full review of SR7005? It would help me in my decision-making process.

I'm debating the Marantz SR7005 and the Yamaha RXA3000. Both have pretty much the same specs. I'm most interested in two-channel music (jazz, vocals, rock) but will use for movies, as well. For the fronts, I'll be using Paradigm mini monitors, which are relaxed/mellow.

Anyone out here listen to both side by side and have any impressions?

Unfortunately, a side-by-side comparison isn't possible in my town.

I listened to the SR5005 and wasn't blown away. It didn't seem to pair well with my speakers. But I'm sure SR7005 is an improvement.

As for Yamaha, this unit seems to be a step up from recent offerings and is probably the safer bet in terms of long-term reliability. But in the end, it's all about the sound.

tnx, dsharp, i.e., the newbie

(I know Denon and Onkyo are great, but I've narrowed it down to these two)
If you don't want to wait, there are at least two full reviews complete with lab measurements. One by Home Theater Magazine and the other by Home Cineama Choice magazine. Both reviewer gave it excellent rating.

If you are more keen on 2 channel sound quality and not so much movies, I would go with the Yamaha.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
If you don't want to wait, there are at least two full reviews complete with lab measurements. One by Home Theater Magazine and the other by Home Cineama Choice magazine. Both reviewer gave it excellent rating.

If you are more keen on 2 channel sound quality and not so much movies, I would go with the Yamaha.
He's using Paradigm Mini Monitors, both receivers are overkill for those speakers.

I'd advise looking at new speakers before jumping into a new AVR.

D

dsharp

Audiophyte
I'm all about overkill. Ha. Seriously, I might replace the speakers down the road, but I've been pretty happy with them for the time being. They work for the size room and sound nice. That being said, I'll be using the receiver for 5.1 plus it'll be powering two extra zones (NHT in another room, and outdoor speakers). Plus I like having integrated phono. So I probably wouldn't drop down further than the RX-A2000 or SR6005 (especially since I was underwhelmed with the SR5005 with the Paradigms).

PENG, tnx for passing along the reviews. I'd seen those. I certainly believe either receiver is capable of putting Horlicks on the ceiling :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis