Netflix to Stream Minor First-Run Movies

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Netflix has signed a long-term agreement with the small movie studio Relativity Media to stream first-run films such as "Get him to the Greek" and "Grown Ups." The studio produces or finances 20 to 30 movies each year. The first of the films to be made available through Netflix streaming will be "The Fighter" (Christian Bale, Mark Wahlberg) and "Season of the Witch" (Nicholas Cage), both of which are set to release in theaters the first quarter of 2011. The arrangement just allows Netflix subscribers to stream the movies online within a few months after the DVD release. This time period, when streaming is traditionally locked out, is known as the 'Pay TV Window.'

Discuss "Netflix to Stream Minor First-Run Movies" here. Read the article.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I don't get what the point of this is. If it's after the DVD release, then why not just rent the DVD? What am I missing?

R

RavnosCC

Enthusiast
because renting makes you leave your house, wait for a dvd in the mail, or wait because it's on hold (ie out of stock)

Streaming = movie now :D

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
because renting makes you leave your house, wait for a dvd in the mail, or wait because it's on hold (ie out of stock)

Streaming = movie now :D
Correction, streaming = crappy video and crappy sound. Yippee. :rolleyes:

jwenthold99

jwenthold99

Full Audioholic
Correction, streaming = crappy video and crappy sound. Yippee. :rolleyes:
Actually some of the hd streaming on my ps3 looks quite good. Granted it's only 2 channel sound, but the picture quality of some of the hd streaming has been very surprising. A lot of it has to do with the speed of your internet connection as well.

Just my 2 cents :)

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
IMO i will never utilize streaming unless they actually can stream more titles then they already do 75% of what they stream now is BS i never would watch, secondly, i don't want to see effin artifacts bad enough to completly smear fine detail like blades of grass or water etc, thirdly, i want 5.1 sound without noticable artifacts, until this happens i will continue renting DVDs (and blu-rays when i get a BDP), i have an incredibly fast internet connection (30MBPS) so there is no reason why i would not be getting the full quality the picture is unacceptably softened by over-compression that it ruins the experience, the audio has a noticable compression "twinkle" and a large amount of very low end and very high end frequencies are apparently not there.

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
IMO i will never utilize streaming unless they actually can stream more titles then they already do 75% of what they stream now is BS i never would watch, secondly, i don't want to see effin artifacts bad enough to completly smear fine detail like blades of grass or water etc, thirdly, i want 5.1 sound without noticable artifacts, until this happens i will continue renting DVDs (and blu-rays when i get a BDP), i have an incredibly fast internet connection (30MBPS) so there is no reason why i would not be getting the full quality the picture is unacceptably softened by over-compression that it ruins the experience, the audio has a noticable compression "twinkle" and a large amount of very low end and very high end frequencies are apparently not there.
There are some times when I don't care about the quality of the movie/tv show. This is usually the case when I have people over and we're just looking for something to watch. I'm not gonna tell people we can't watch the netflix streaming cause it looks like crap, because then I'll get strange looks lol.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
There are some times when I don't care about the quality of the movie/tv show. This is usually the case when I have people over and we're just looking for something to watch. I'm not gonna tell people we can't watch the netflix streaming cause it looks like crap, because then I'll get strange looks lol.
I can see that. I probably wouldn't care about picture quality if I was watching a Seinfeld episode or an old movie. But I tend to fast forward a lot when I'm watching movies, and wait for the damn thing to buffer every time I want to fast forward or rewind a scene kills me.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Actually some of the hd streaming on my ps3 looks quite good. Granted it's only 2 channel sound, but the picture quality of some of the hd streaming has been very surprising. A lot of it has to do with the speed of your internet connection as well.

Just my 2 cents :)
If you are streaming from Netflix on the PS3, it isn't HD. If you are talking about HD movies from PSN, they are downloaded not streamed. Netflix is supposed to provide 5.1 sound this year and HD streaming in the future. I have been out of town for work for 2 weeks and the ability to stream at the hotel was great. I don't really need HD and I don't have a sound system, and surprisingly, even over wifi, it was pretty good.

J

jlee949

Audiophyte
IPad vs.The Incomparable

I know that my IPad is not 1080p and 7.1 lossless but with my Shure SE 530 ear buds, in a dark room streaming Netflix over my home broadband network is comfortable, easy and a great way to catch TV stuff like 24, Mad Men, Battlestar Galactica and other stuff commercial free that I've never had time to watch or record.

When I want the real thing I can go into my media room and stream VUDU in 1080p through my major sound system...

T

tystix

Audiophyte
Streaming woes

I will continue to primarily watch sat. T.V. and rent Blue Ray disc because of the inferior picture and audio quality of netflix streaming video. Even the so call HD streaming are difficult to sit through knowing I can watch many more movies with great A/V from other soures. Netflix unnerves me a bit when they state HD and 5.1 streaming is being outputted from them when it really isn't being displayed now.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis