Global 3D TV Shipments to Hit 4.2 million in 2010

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
According to iSuppli, a technology market research company, Global 3D TV shipments are expected to reach 4.2 million units in 2010, thanks to increasing traction and acceptance from enthusiastic early adopters. Global 3D TV shipments will then triple to 12.9 million units in 2011 and then more than double to 27.4 million units in 2012. In 2015, 3D TV shipments will reach 78.1 million units, rising at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 80.2% from 2010.

Discuss "Global 3D TV Shipments to Hit 4.2 million in 2010" here. Read the article.

AccessGuy

AccessGuy

Audioholic Intern
2015 Sounds about right

I will probably be among the 78 million getting a 3D TV in 2015, if only because by that time probably every set will be 3D and the prices should have fallen quite a bit and the market will have sorted out which 3D technology is really the most cost effective. This year I will most likely update my current Sony rear-projection 1080i set (that damned bulb is still going strong after almost five years of daily use!!) to a 55 incher from either Samsung or Toshiba for around $1599, selling it in five years for around $500 and then getting one of the new sets. My next A/V receiver, however, will be 1.4a, so I won't have to upgrade that in 2015.

According to iSuppli, a technology market research company, Global 3D TV shipments are expected to reach 4.2 million units in 2010, thanks to increasing traction and acceptance from enthusiastic early adopters. Global 3D TV shipments will then triple to 12.9 million units in 2011 and then more than double to 27.4 million units in 2012. In 2015, 3D TV shipments will reach 78.1 million units, rising at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 80.2% from 2010.

Discuss "Global 3D TV Shipments to Hit 4.2 million in 2010" here. Read the article.

Yes, this is again an example of correlation doesn't equal causation. Since most new top-end TVs are going to include 3-D support, and eventually that will trickle down to even the most basic TVs, it's a good bet that the TVs will eventually permeate the market.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I will probably be among the 78 million getting a 3D TV in 2015, if only because by that time probably every set will be 3D and the prices should have fallen quite a bit and the market will have sorted out which 3D technology is really the most cost effective. This year I will most likely update my current Sony rear-projection 1080i set (that damned bulb is still going strong after almost five years of daily use!!) to a 55 incher from either Samsung or Toshiba for around $1599, selling it in five years for around $500 and then getting one of the new sets. My next A/V receiver, however, will be 1.4a, so I won't have to upgrade that in 2015.
Alright, another Hoosier!

cwall99

cwall99

Full Audioholic
I'm in a similar boat. I have a 57-inch Sony RPTV that gets me 1080i. I've had it almost 8 years, and the convergence on the set is finally going. While I'm sure it's running up our electric bill and killing off a few of the remaining hours left on the set's bulbs, there are times when it takes a couple of hours for the convergence to click in after the set's been turned off, so we rarely shut down the display - we're holding out for as long as we can, though. I've gotten estimates that getting the convergence repaired will cost between $500 and $900, and that hardly seems worth it to me seeing as the bulb is also long in the tooth.

I'm thinking a Panasonic Viera 54-inch (TC-P54G20) from Best Buy (Best Buy mainly because they'll haul away my 250 pound RPTV for me for free).

My AVR has HDMI 1.2, though, so I'm thinking I'll use the analog outs on my BDP (when I get one; I'm thinking Oppo BDP-80) to feed audio into my AVR and then output video directly to the display.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
Yes, this is again an example of correlation doesn't equal causation. Since most new top-end TVs are going to include 3-D support, and eventually that will trickle down to even the most basic TVs, it's a good bet that the TVs will eventually permeate the market.
True Dat, Clint. They claimed to ship 2 million 3D TV's last year. However, they didn't really mention that those were Mitsubishi RPTV's that already were 3D Ready.

What I want to see is the # of 3D glasses actually sold. I bet that number was a lot lower than 2million. I bet that that # will be a lot less than 4.2 million, as well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis