Axiom Audio On Wall Line of Speakers First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Axiom Audio is all about giving their customers options and they've expanded that with their new On-Wall offerings. They've taken their popular bookshelf and center channel speakers and have developed On-Wall versions. This means you'll now be able to mount your favorite M2, M3, M22, VP100, or VP150 speakers to the wall for space saving without sonic compromise.

Discuss "Axiom Audio On Wall Line of Speakers First Look" here. Read the article.

the grunt

the grunt

Audioholic
If you get some review samples it would be interesting to see a comparison between the new on-wall and the standalone version of one of the speakers. The most common question I’ve seen people asking about the Axiom in/on-wall hybrids is if they perform as well as their standalone counterparts.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
If you get some review samples it would be interesting to see a comparison between the new on-wall and the standalone version of one of the speakers. The most common question I’ve seen people asking about the Axiom in/on-wall hybrids is if they perform as well as their standalone counterparts.
I'm not in the market, but I'm very curious as well.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
My understanding is they are virtually identical for mids and highs but the on-walls obviously have less bass extension since there is less cabinet volume.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Haven't they had these out for a while? (at least a few models?)

ivseenbetter

ivseenbetter

Senior Audioholic
Haven't they had these out for a while? (at least a few models?)
I echo that question. I know Axiom has had onwalls for awhile. I was looking at them a few years ago. Are these models different?

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
I echo that question. I know Axiom has had onwalls for awhile. I was looking at them a few years ago. Are these models different?
If I understand correctly: They have a line of "on wall/in wall" speakers, and line of "on wall" speakers. The first have more internal volume, and are designed to be recessed into the wall - these new speakers are the second and are designed to just hang on the wall.

the grunt

the grunt

Audioholic
GO-NAD said:
I'm not in the market, but I'm very curious as well.
What’s got me even more curious about these is that they changed the crossover point (at least on the M22 version) from 3.5kHz on the previous versions to 2.7kHz on the newer on-wall version. I wondering how that’s effected the frequency response knowing of course that all these will be up against walls which will have an effect.

I’m made even more curious because they publish FR graphs for there standalone speakers but not the wall mounted varieties. It would be interesting to see an anechoic FR graph and a wall mounted one to see if they tuned the speaker for wall mounting.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
What’s got me even more curious about these is that they changed the crossover point (at least on the M22 version) from 3.5kHz on the previous versions to 2.7kHz on the newer on-wall version. I wondering how that’s effected the frequency response knowing of course that all these will be up against walls which will have an effect.

I’m made even more curious because they publish FR graphs for there standalone speakers but not the wall mounted varieties. It would be interesting to see an anechoic FR graph and a wall mounted one to see if they tuned the speaker for wall mounting.
That raises a question in my mind. How do you test on- or in-wall speakers in an anechoic chamber? I can't picture how this might be done. Hmmmm....

the grunt

the grunt

Audioholic
GO-NAD said:
That raises a question in my mind. How do you test on- or in-wall speakers in an anechoic chamber? I can't picture how this might be done. Hmmmm....
Should be able to prop it up somehow w/o causing any added reflections. But since they are specifically designed to hang on a wall and not sit a few feet out like a standalone speakers I’m not sure that would really be a worthwhile test in itself.

I’m actually a little curious about these since I want to move my M22s off the back wall and put them up front as “wide” speakers again. If the new on-wall speakers are close enough to the standalone versions it would be easier for me to mount a couple of those on the back wall rather than build a shelf and put a couple standalone speakers on it. I know from running the auto-setup on my receiver the boundary effect from the wall is significant since it tried to set my M22s to a 40Hz crossover. I’m assuming the on-walls are “tuned” for that sort of placement but w/o seeing and FR graph it’s only a guess. Probably doesn’t matter as there’s still not a lot on the rear channels anyway.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
I wonder how representative anechoic would be. I would think that the wall would be part of the speaker by design. It should certainly affect the bottom end, but I wonder how a wall would affect edge diffraction and if there are other boundry effects on the midrange or trebble.

AJinFLA

AJinFLA

Banned
I wonder how a wall would affect edge diffraction and if there are other boundry effects on the midrange or trebble.
Not much. The primary effect is in the upper bass/low mid, due to the proximity of the LF source (woofer) to wall and the (reflected) wavelengths involved. Thiel has a paper that illustrates this effect and how they designed for it. It would be interesting to see the Axioms on wall measurements.

cheers,

AJ

F

fredk

Audioholic General
If that is the case, the Trebble should be exactly the same as the M22. I seem to remember the mids being in a sealed enclosure (within the speaker) so as long as the enclosure size and mid/trebble crossover are the same, the sound would be the same as the M22. Thats the theory as I understand it anyway.

I need to go visit them again.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis