Vincent Audio C-60 CD Transport First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Vincent Audio C-60 CD Transport takes a Reeses Peanutbutter cup approach to design - they mixed their solid state with their tubes. The C-60 has a solid state/tube output stage that can be selected from the front of the unit or from the least useful remote we've seen in a long time. Will it sell? At $4695 a pop, we're guessing they don't have to sell too many to turn a profit.

Discuss "Vincent Audio C-60 CD Transport First Look" here. Read the article.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
No DAC? This thing is just a transport? For that price? Hell, you could put together a state of the art digital front end, or even a whole system, for that much.

And Tom, there are some folks with objective outlooks who, while knowing the inherent limitations of tube designs, still have a lot of fun and get tremendous satisfaction from building their own tube amps. Not all of us are suffering the effects of thermionic pixie dust toxicity, just experimenting and having some fun along the way.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
i would never call myself an 'audiophile' but i am a 2 channel guy. so a few comments/observations:

1. the idea that 'audiophiles' would never use room treatments is just flat out wrong. there is, IMO, MUCH more talk/interest in room treatments in audiophile circles than in HT circles. to the point that a lot of really questionable (ahem *snake oil* ahem) room treatment items are floated around audiophile circles.

2. the lack of a DAC would be viewed in 'audiophile' circles as probably a positive. it would at least be viewed as not a negative, but a feasible design choice. audiophiles looovvveee to swap DAC's every other week.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

...the lack of a DAC would be viewed in 'audiophile' circles as probably a positive. it would at least be viewed as not a negative, but a feasible design choice. audiophiles looovvveee to swap DAC's every other week.
Not to mention an excuse for another couple sets of $500 interconnects and $800 maple isoblocks for the external DAC!

Just love the high end.:rolleyes:

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Why is everyone assuming this piece of equipment does not have it's own DAC?

I do realize it says "transport" in the title, but this is in fact a CD player with analog outputs hence the Tube/FET option. It has a coaxial and optical SPDIF output if you wish to use it as a transport, and so does my Pioneer 100 disc changer. Using this CD player as a transport would indeed be worthless from all perspectives save one, matching gear.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

I do realize it says "transport" in the title, but this is in fact a CD player with analog outputs hence the Tube/FET option. It has a coaxial and optical SPDIF output if you wish to use it as a transport, and so does my Pioneer 100 disc changer. Using this CD player as a transport would indeed be worthless from all perspectives save one, matching gear.
You are right on target with this Seth.

Just look at the garbage on the importers site.

If you thought Vincent's V-60 vacuum tube integrated amplifier couldn't sound any better, wait until you hear the V-60 when it's partnered with the brand new C-60 hybrid design CD player from Vincent. If you're in the mood for rich, romantic audio performance that brings analog complexity to compact discs, then bask in the vacuum tube output stage. But if you want a bit more edge to your music, you can simply switch to transistor output instead by clicking the C-60's front panel switch – or by using the included solid aluminum wireless remote.

A CD player is only as good as its disc reading system, and excellence in the C-60 gets off to a running start with its top-of-the-range Philips transport. This proven mechanism offers highly accurate 'no-bits-left-behind' data retrieval. The Vincent's state-of-the-art DAC uses the highly regarded 24-bit, 192 kHz PCM1792 IC with 8-times oversampling for excellent dynamic performance and extremely low jitter.

The vacuum tube circuitry is as well considered as the digital components, starting with a 6Z4 rectifier tube for the output stage supply voltage. Vincent didn't stint when it came to strategies for keeping the noise floor vanishingly low. The power supply, drive stage, and output stage are isolated from one another in physically separated and shielded housings. This no-compromise approach helps to isolate each section from all possible sources of interference, keeping the signal path free of external noise and leaving you with nothing but beautiful music to hear.

The coupling capacitors are isolated from the signal chain to keep the musical signal pristine. The capacitors are indicative of the high quality parts used throughout the construction. You'll find very low-noise components such as BB2804 operational amplifiers in the amplification section, and these contribute to the ultra-quiet operation.

Unlike most CD players, the C-60 has been designed with fully balanced circuitry from top to bottom. Premium XLR balanced outputs let you take maximum advantage of this design. Other connections include RCA unbalanced outputs, along with a coaxial digital output and an optical digital output. And speaking of output flexibility, you can switch between either the advanced transistor output or a cathode follower line 6922EH tube output stage.

The massive chassis provides a stable platform for the C-60's circuitry and helps protect the transport mechanism from room vibration. Solid aluminum plates in the chassis construction contribute to its hefty 26.4 lb weight. The top-loading transport makes disc loading a pleasure, and it allows the use of a puck-style CD stabilizer. A row of function buttons just below the transport door adds an elegant ergonomic touch to the design. Or use the solid aluminum wireless remote, which is a joy to touch and hold.

So its a Philips CD player, and that's fine. They all leave bits behind, lots of them! That is what the Solomon Code error correction is all about.

It impresses me not one iota that it has 24 bit 192 kHz when CD is 16 bit 44.1 kHz!

Any rig that needs to switch between tube and a FET output, has a lot more problems than changing a CD player can solve.

I think anyone who would purchase this would definitely fit into my category of "Too stupid to own equipment."

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

You got me...one of these days I'll learn to read. Actually, I was just distracted by that cool aluminium remote and so shocked by the price that the details escaped me.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Also, the remote has 36 buttons (I think 100 was an intentional exaggeration)

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
Also, the remote has 36 buttons (I think 100 was an intentional exaggeration)
I was expecting more buttons for 4700 bucks. :)

The button to price ratio is just not good enough in my opinion.

M

Michael

Enthusiast
Strange that it does not have 110Ohm AES/EBU digital output

Guys,
your forget the main parameter of audio equipment, which is how does it sound.

I did not get any clue from the article.

M

Michael

Enthusiast
Solid state amplifiers provide a clean, consistent, and most of all flat signal. This, they say, means they don't color the the signal in any way and let the speakers and (these are audiophiles remember) wires and transports do that. On the other hand you have the tube fanatics. These people love the "warm" sound that tubes provide. While the "warmth" of attributed to tubes might be somewhat psychosomatic based on the fact that they physically heat up, the fact is that tubes tend to provide a less that flat response. In fact, they will often change their response based on how long they've been in use (which is why tube owners often suggest a long warm-up period).

Notice, neither of these high end groups are at all interested in the room or room treatments. They'll spend thousands on cabling but nothing on room treatments.
Tom?
None of what you wrote is close to truth.
Tube do not produce warm sound because of distortion, but due to different harmonics. Actually, good tune equipment sound similar to good solid state.
And if you did not know, solid state requires 'warm-up' period as well

Regarding the room treatment - you guys are repeating this all over, what stands behind?

What's the point in reviewing entry level CD and to focus on its remote?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Strange that it does not have 110Ohm AES/EBU digital output

Guys,

It's not extremely strange for it to lack the AES/EBU output because the design intends on you using the internal DAC.

I'm sure it sounds like a CD player while in FET mode, it probably sounds a little tubey in Triode mode.

Tom?
Tube do not produce warm sound because of distortion, but due to different harmonics. Actually, good tune equipment sound similar to good solid state.

Regarding the room treatment - you guys are repeating this all over, what stands behind?

Woah, I would have been happy with your first post in the thread.

While it is true that tube amplification can be as neutral as solid state; it is in most cases NOT. Using tube amplifiers and pre-stages makes for an easy excuse to color the sound and giving it the stereotypical "tube" sound. It is very rare that you will find a linear tube amplifier. Different harmonics? This reads, "it sounds different". If there is an alteration in sound caused by the amplifier it is distorting. Distortion doesn't just apply to amplifier clipping or other amplifier stresses, it refers to anything other than linear output. I can't say I concur on solid state warm-up, sounds like audio-foolery.

Regarding room treatment, it has a measurable and audible impact far greater than cables or amplifier brand choice.

Last edited:
T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
Tom?

Michael,

Audioholics is looking for equipment reviewers. Have you considered submitting your resumé? It appears you have several approaches to audio that you utilize - possibly, something that would be a good thing from a reviewer's standpoint.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
^An example of trolling a troll

Now why didn't I think of that?

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Guys,

If it sounds any different than any other competently designed player there is likely a problem with it. I would expect most good players, with decent output stages and otherwise thoughtful design, would only differ at levels well below audibility. Seems to me there are probably thousands of such players available for well under $4K, too. But they may not have that neatojiffykeen remote.

(Of course the world isn't perfect, and my personal expectations are frequently blown to pieces, but if there is some other 'engineered-in' deviance, you're getting more than just a CD player!)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis