Pioneer VSX-1120-K Receiver First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The VSX-1120-K offers the pinnacle of the Pioneer-branded line. Many of the upgrades will appeal to those that are looking for the best possible audio and video performance matched with ease of use and system integration features. Will the VSX-1120-K be for everyone? No. But those that don't mind paying a premium for extra convenience and performance are going to be very tempted.

Discuss "Pioneer VSX-1120-K Receiver First Look" here. Read the article.

Coolzrock

Coolzrock

Audioholic Intern
From the thumbnail, it looks like a monster.
Even tho i love vintage and classic... this looks like monster. I love it!

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
I gotta say Pioneer make some of the best looking receivers on the market.

Coolzrock

Coolzrock

Audioholic Intern
Yeah. When i look my amplifier, it looks like crap, damn it! :) I want a Pioneer! Only if i had the money... :(

AccessGuy

AccessGuy

Audioholic Intern
Sounds like a great deal...what about 4 ohm speakers?

This looks like an amazing buy vs $1500-2500 receivers I had been considering. I only have one question/consideration: will it handle a 4-ohm 7.1system?

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
This looks like an amazing buy vs $1500-2500 receivers I had been considering. I only have one question/consideration: will it handle a 4-ohm 7.1system?
I doubt it very seriously. But it does have pre-amp outputs.

AccessGuy

AccessGuy

Audioholic Intern
Pre-outs good, speculation bad

I doubt it very seriously. But it does have pre-amp outputs.
Thanks for the info about the pre-outs. Other than guessing though, I would like to know whether the receiver itself is capable of handling 4-ohm speakers in a 2500 cubic foot home theater.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Thanks for the info about the pre-outs. Other than guessing though, I would like to know whether the receiver itself is capable of handling 4-ohm speakers in a 2500 cubic foot home theater.
The problem is there is no sucj thing as a four ohm speaker. Impedance varies through the curve. If the lower dips are in a higher frequency, then it should be fine, but if its in the bass/midbass, region I wouldnt. Some speakers that spec 4ohm have dips to the high 2s low 3s in the low region and not many AVRs do well with that.

AccessGuy

AccessGuy

Audioholic Intern
More about 4-ohm speakers + A/V Receiver

The problem is there is no sucj thing as a four ohm speaker. Impedance varies through the curve. If the lower dips are in a higher frequency, then it should be fine, but if its in the bass/midbass, region I wouldnt. Some speakers that spec 4ohm have dips to the high 2s low 3s in the low region and not many AVRs do well with that.
I have been using my Denon 3806 Receiver for five years now with my Axiom M80s, V150 center, and QS8 surrounds with NO problems in my current space. Both this receiver and the Pioneer 1120 are rated at 120W/7 channels and both have THX Ultra Certifications, so naturally I would like to know if I could switch out the receiver for my setup.

When the Audioholics staff reviews A/V receivers, sometimes they mention the 4-ohm capabilities and sometimes they don't. Since this was just a first-look, no particular mention was made about this, so I am just trying to elicit more specific information. For example here is part of Tom's conclusion about the Denon 4310CI:

"The Denon AVR-4310CI proved to be a true powerhouse for its price class. We honestly weren’t expecting such stellar results in a sub $2k receiver that is jammed packed with features. It was able to exceed its continuous fullbandwidth per channel power rating of 130 wpc by delivering a whopping 163wpc into 8 ohms and 267 watts into 4 ohms. With the standard 1kHz ACD test, the AVR-4310CI delivered 95 wpc which again is excellent. The AVR-4310CI should be able to power most moderately efficient loudspeakers to deliver theatrical power levels in medium to large sized theater rooms."

And here is the conclusion of the Yamaha Z7 vs Pioneer SC-07 in this regard:

"Unlike the Pioneer SC-07 (which utilized Class D ICE amplification) I had in review at the same time, the Yamaha did NOT have any issues driving 4 ohm loads at full power and bandwidth. The Yamaha was also a bit more powerful driving 8 ohm loads (170wpc vs 150wpc of the Pioneer)."

B

blindcat7

Enthusiast
The first new model to make me question my decision to make the HK AVR 3600 my new receiver. I've wanted to have the HK sound in my HT for years, but I know how good Pios can sound and there are some great bonuses to this new model. I could easily resist the extra HDMI inputs which would be the only major advantage seriously important to me, but the PC control is really, really tempting. If the PC control interface is compatible with my screen reader, it would mark the first time I could fully control one of my components since my vision degraded to the point that I couldn't read onscreen menus. Sigh, I am really going to have to think on this one.

Thanks for the early glimpse at what sounds like another winner from Pio.

Chris

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
While I initially did a "thanks" to your post, there is one thing that's starting to bug me with the Pioneer Elite receivers. Each year, they put more and more plastic on the front panel. 5-6 years ago, all of the receiver fronts were machined from aluminum and painted with a high gloss paint to make them stand out. While the plastic still looks good, it just doesn't have that same feel their older receivers used to have.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I have been using my Denon 3806 Receiver for five years now with my Axiom M80s, V150 center, and QS8 surrounds with NO problems in my current space. Both this receiver and the Pioneer 1120 are rated at 120W/7 channels and both have THX Ultra Certifications, so naturally I would like to know if I could switch out the receiver for my setup.

When the Audioholics staff reviews A/V receivers, sometimes they mention the 4-ohm capabilities and sometimes they don't. Since this was just a first-look, no particular mention was made about this, so I am just trying to elicit more specific information. For example here is part of Tom's conclusion about the Denon 4310CI:

"The Denon AVR-4310CI proved to be a true powerhouse for its price class. We honestly weren’t expecting such stellar results in a sub $2k receiver that is jammed packed with features. It was able to exceed its continuous fullbandwidth per channel power rating of 130 wpc by delivering a whopping 163wpc into 8 ohms and 267 watts into 4 ohms. With the standard 1kHz ACD test, the AVR-4310CI delivered 95 wpc which again is excellent. The AVR-4310CI should be able to power most moderately efficient loudspeakers to deliver theatrical power levels in medium to large sized theater rooms."

"Unlike the Pioneer SC-07 (which utilized Class D ICE amplification) I had in review at the same time, the Yamaha did NOT have any issues driving 4 ohm loads at full power and bandwidth. The Yamaha was also a bit more powerful driving 8 ohm loads (170wpc vs 150wpc of the Pioneer)."
Your denon and the amps in the pioneer are apples and oranges;)lower mid line avrs for the most part do not cut it with four ohm loads. If its at alla concern, pick up a 5ch amp and get a mid line avr that has the features you need with preouts. Going from talking about the 1120, to the Z7, 4310, sc27 is why different:)

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General

FYI - The 1120 does not have THX Ultra certification. I'm not sure where you read this. But its not mentioned anywhere.

Considering the 1019 could only reach 29 watts with all channels driven I doubt whether the 1120 could drive a complete set of 4 ohm speakers. Maybe 2 speakers but even then I'm doubtful.

The upside to this unit is the street price will be lower than 749 and it will probably turn out to be a great pre/pro.

D

Downtowner

Audiophyte
No switched AC outlets

I use the switched AC outlet on my current Pioneer VSX-1014TX receiver to drive an AC relay that in turn switches AC power to my 700W subwoofer amp. Without switched AC on many of the new receivers, I would have to convert to a 12VDC relay driven off the 12V trigger. I have not seen any specs on how much current the 12V trigger can supply without being overloaded.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I use the switched AC outlet on my current Pioneer VSX-1014TX receiver to drive an AC relay that in turn switches AC power to my 700W subwoofer amp. Without switched AC on many of the new receivers, I would have to convert to a 12VDC relay driven off the 12V trigger. I have not seen any specs on how much current the 12V trigger can supply without being overloaded.
I doubt your going to have issues withe the 12v triggers working (not sure what you mean by overloaded), but if you do, you can always buys a triggered power strip.

AccessGuy

AccessGuy

Audioholic Intern
FYI - The 1120 does not have THX Ultra certification. I'm not sure where you read this. But its not mentioned anywhere.

Considering the 1019 could only reach 29 watts with all channels driven I doubt whether the 1120 could drive a complete set of 4 ohm speakers. Maybe 2 speakers but even then I'm doubtful.

The upside to this unit is the street price will be lower than 749 and it will probably turn out to be a great pre/pro.
You are right, it is rather a THX Select2 Certified product which is for "medium sized rooms, up to 2,000 cubic feet in size, with a 10-12 foot viewing distance from the screen."

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
You are right, it is rather a THX Select2 Certified product which is for "medium sized rooms, up to 2,000 cubic feet in size, with a 10-12 foot viewing distance from the screen."
It's not even THX Select 2 certified. I'm not sure where your getting your info but THX certification is not mentioned anywhere. :rolleyes:

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
It's not even THX Select 2 certified. I'm not sure where your getting your info but THX certification is not mentioned anywhere. :rolleyes:
The photo shows a thx logo on the top of the unit.:eek:

but I still wouldnt use it to drive difficult loads.

Last edited by a moderator:
anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
The photo shows a thx logo on the top of the unit.:eek:

but I still wouldnt use it to drive difficult loads.
I stand corrected then. The funny thing is it's barely mentioned in the literature. I had to really look to find it.

Access Guy I apologize. You are correct about the Select 2 certification. :)

One thing I did notice about digging deeper. Is the power consumption on this unit is only 245 watts. Which really scares me about the amps ability. With all channels driven it will probably only put 40 to 50 watts per channel. Thank heavens for the pre-outs.

Last edited by a moderator:
AccessGuy

AccessGuy

Audioholic Intern
Separates vs Receiver

I stand corrected then. The funny thing is it's barely mentioned in the literature. I had to really look to find it.

Access Guy I apologize. You are correct about the Select 2 certification. :)

One thing I did notice about digging deeper. Is the power consumption on this unit is only 245 watts. Which really scares me about the amps ability. With all channels driven it will probably only put 40 to 50 watts per channel. Thank heavens for the pre-outs.
Well, now I am considering using the 1120 as a Pre/Pro in combination with the Emotiva XPA-7, thus giving me future 3D connectivity with ample power, and all for the cost of a good mid-level receiver. Any thoughts on the matter?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis