Redbox Announces Blu-rays at Walmart - Soon Everywhere

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Redbox, who has over 22,400 kiosks across the country is getting ready to release Blu-ray Discs to consumers in a nation-wide push for Blu-ray. Blu-ray Discs will be available in a majority of Redbox kiosks by July. While the details are still being released, Redbox has affirmed the obvious: Blu-ray won't be replacing DVDs, merely supplementing them. This would potentially affect selection at each location since the kiosks have a fixed amount of rentals available. There is, however, no information (yet) on whether the stock and inventory schedules will be changed to keep up with the change. In addition, according to their CEO, a majority of Redbox kiosks are not currently full, so there’s space to add Blu-ray titles without removing any DVDs currently available.

Discuss "Redbox Announces Blu-rays at Walmart - Soon Everywhere" here. Read the article.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Very nice, can't wait for this! I just hope they don't overcharge for them.

B

bmf795

Audioholic Intern
If it's $2 a day, do the discs cost them twice as much to purchase?:confused::confused:

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Time for me to dump Netflix. There is really no reason for this service when I have multiple Redbox kiosks within 2 miles driving distance from me all of which now rent Blu-ray.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Time for me to dump Netflix. There is really no reason for this service when I have multiple Redbox kiosks within 2 miles driving distance from me all of which now rent Blu-ray.
Unless you watch old movies or TV shows. I thought Redbox only carried the new movies.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
This may be what I need to either cancel, or reduce my blockbuster plan to the minimum plan... we'll just have to see how things pan out. I have multiple redbox kiosks near me as well, so this could be just what I need.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
That's good news. There is a Redbox at my local Safeway. I've never tried it though. There's also one in front of a 7-11 about a mile from the house.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
I like streaming older movies on netflix, other than that this makes redbox to go to place. Blockbuster has just become even more irrelevant.

Pat

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Blockbuster also hase some kiosks, but I've not seen any yet, so they must still be in the process of rolling them out.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Can people better explain to me the benefit of Redbox? If I pay $2 a day, then I can save $1.50 per title right now, not including gas money. If I take two days to finish a movie (for instance, I'm halfway through Paris, Texas at the moment), then I will actually pay more. Correct? In effect, it's a built-in late fee, day after day, right?

I just can't expect a single kiosk to have the same selection as the Netflix website!

So, if I wanted a particular title, what, do I order it to a certain kiosk, where it waits for me or something? That takes how long?

Sorry, obviously, I have no idea about how this all works . . . but, all of your interest in this has me interested!

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
That's good news. There is a Redbox at my local Safeway. I've never tried it though. There's also one in front of a 7-11 about a mile from the house.
Wait until you go to return a Redbox flick so that you don't incur the stupid $1 late fee and find a family of five at the machine arguing about which Walt Disney film they want to rent. You have to wait to return your movie. ;)

If I know anything about Gene, he's never going to deal with that cause he'll send somebody to do the deed. :eek: :D

Then when you decide to rent one and get your turn in line and you have four people eyeballing you while you try to decide between two films that you don't care to see because the one you want is sold out.

I just got the streaming thing figured out on my laptop and think it's great. In lieu of a real education I am watching documentaries like crazy.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Wait until you go to return a Redbox flick so that you don't incur the stupid $1 late fee and find a family of five at the machine arguing about which Walt Disney film they want to rent. You have to wait to return your movie. ;)

If I know anything about Gene, he's never going to deal with that cause he'll send somebody to do the deed. :eek: :D

Then when you decide to rent one and get your turn in line and you have four people eyeballing you while you try to decide between two films that you don't care to see because the one you want is sold out.

I just got the streaming thing figured out on my laptop and think it's great. In lieu of a real education I am watching documentaries like crazy.
I am learning more about your kind. I suppose you could learn more about my kind since you are getting swimming lessons from them.

tbergman

tbergman

Full Audioholic
Can people better explain to me the benefit of Redbox? If I pay $2 a day, then I can save $1.50 per title right now, not including gas money. If I take two days to finish a movie (for instance, I'm halfway through Paris, Texas at the moment), then I will actually pay more. Correct? In effect, it's a built-in late fee, day after day, right?

I just can't expect a single kiosk to have the same selection as the Netflix website!

So, if I wanted a particular title, what, do I order it to a certain kiosk, where it waits for me or something? That takes how long?

Sorry, obviously, I have no idea about how this all works . . . but, all of your interest in this has me interested!
Well, you don't really "order" it to a kiosk, new releases are already sitting in the machine waiting, you can go to redbox's site and see what is available though. Also, I believe you can hold a movie for a certain amount of time.

Now you go to the kiosk, pick the movie, and use your credit card to pay. It's a dollar a day and yes, you will get charged if you keep it longer, so it's not really a "late fee" more like a rate. Once you are done with the movie, return it to any redbox you like. Pretty simple.

There are obvious drawbacks, selection being the biggest probably, but for only a dollar and no monthly fees it's not too bad.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have a redbox a block away with no Blu. Walmart is about ~10 mi away and I am not interested in driving that far for a $2 movie.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Is there a website that'll list locations so I can try to find a BD redbox at somepoint in my neighborhood?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Is there a website that'll list locations so I can try to find a BD redbox at somepoint in my neighborhood?
Just drive around looking for a long line in front of a red box that has nothing you want to watch in it. :D

A

allargon

Audioholic General

So, Netflix and Blockbuster ship new releases to you in a timely manner? The kiosks offer faster turnaround and better service.

No, driving 10 min to Wal-Mart, 5 min to HEB (Texas grocery store chain) or 7 min to Walgreens to rent from Redbox isn't that inconvenient. I drive to all those stores routinely, anyway. (I didn't mention McDonalds 'cause I like to avoid that place.) Yes, it takes longer than walking to the mailbox, but On Demand is even faster. However, I'll pass on open matte. Give me OAR. Thanks!

All are cheaper than driving to Blockbuster and paying $5 for two days.

Go Redbox, go!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Just drive around looking for a long line in front of a red box that has nothing you want to watch in it. :D
You can check what is in the local boxes online :D There are actually TWO at my grociery store, one inside and one outside (??).

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
You can check what is in the local boxes online :D There are actually TWO at my grociery store, one inside and one outside (??).
I've just got my cranky pants on. I don't like being trapped in that line. It's cheap ... I get it. I do the Netflix thing to the tune of around $25/month and I have a BB Rewards deal that has some sort of 2 for 1 Mon.-Wed. and a free sixth movie and a free monthly movie so I typically pay a little more than $3 for two movies and get occasional freebies. The selection is huge and when it comes to returning a movie I can put it in a drop box and run or I can rent another without waiting in line but nothing beats the convenience of reading one of your reviews and placing a Netflix order on the computer and not really caring if I return it on time.

The line makes me crazy as a sh!t house rat. :D
I'm always tempted to say something like 'hey lady, you applying for a mortgage or what up there?'. :eek:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis