Installing a Television Over a Fireplace

Nothing has come up in local conversations with friends and family as much as what it takes to mount a flat panel television over a fireplace. Be it plasma or LCD TV, the big contention is that having a room with a centrally-focused fireplace results in a dilemma: Where do you put your flat panel TV if not above the fireplace? While some have stuck them off to one side or the other, either corner-mounted or placed within clunky built-ins, the best place, aesthetically-speaking is to mount the television over the top of the fireplace. This brings up a unique set of questions, concerns and choices, however, and we'll attempt to address each and every one of these in this article and practical how-to guide. What we won't necessarily address is the nitty gritty of how to use a spade bit to cut holes or how to cut and repair drywall. We'll point you on the path but, lest we turn this into a boring step by step tutorial on how to renovate your home, you can look up the nitty gritty details on your own.

Read the Article

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I only glanced at the article, but I already think it should be a sticky somewhere, perhaps the "beginners and audiophytes" subforum. This topic is extremely popular, and I wouldn't be surprised if hundreds, if not thousands, of newcomers looked for this topic already.

Or perhaps the General AV section would do just fine as well.

M

muadibe

Audiophyte
Installing above a fireplace

And if it has not been mentioned here, the fatigue experienced by you and your guests viewing at such an unnatural angle when the room is not large enough. Ergonomics reference works tell us that we are comfortable looking down 15 to 20 degrees.

I and my wife have gotten some headaches watching the LCD panels above the seat in airplanes. The same thing occurred visiting hotels that love to put the big screen above a fireplace in the "Breakfast" lounge.

So, before you take on this major project, visit some hotels and spend at least 2 hours viewing from a distance comparable to your anticipated viewing position. If you love it and don't experience discomfort, then move forward. At least you have taken it in consideration.

Cheers

R

RKP

Enthusiast
I had a my LCD set up over my fireplace for a few months and it was very difficult to sit through a movie over 2 hours long. I would second the idea of testing it out first.

J

Jake68

Audiophyte
In my bedroom, I have wall mounted my TV about 5ft up on my wall. even laying in a bed that is 3 ft or so off the ground it is uncomfortable to watch from about 15ft away. I would have mounted it lower if i didnt have my computer monitor below it. Moral of the story is, i wouldnt put the bottom of a TV any more than 4ft off the ground.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
It all depends on how high the mouth and mantle of your fireplace goes....I have never once had an issue being uncomfortable with my TV mounted over the fireplace...even from 6 feet away.

H

Hyfi

Enthusiast
Not so sure this is a good idea due to the heat from the fireplace, unless it is totally enclosed and ALL heat goes up the chimney.

This is about as bad an idea as it is to put a wine rack above the fridge in a kitchen, duh heat kills wine and TVs too.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Ergonomically, when viewing, eye level should fall within the bottom third of the TV. This is comfortable to everyone.

I cringe with I see a TV mounted high or above a fireplace. While it is OK for some, it is never OK for most, especially for longer periods of time.

D

David Gray

Audiophyte
Mount a flat panel above a fireplace

I have done dozens of these types of installs, over the years, and none of the displays have failed as a result of excessive heat. You simply have to plan the install correctly.

The first thing you do is run the fireplace for awhile and see what happens, put your hand on the wall where the TV will go, do you feel any excessive heat on your hand? Does the wall get very warm? What you typically discover is that fireplaces are extremely inefficient, most of the heat goes up the chimney, further there is always a certain amount of draft because the fireplace is pulling air out of the room, and so whatever radiates up towards the TV generally drafts back down.

Some fireplaces get very hot externally, however, if you have a six inch or greater mantel depth below the panel the radiant heat will deflect away. The bigger issue is the cabling going to the TV.

If it is a gas fireplace, there will usually be a stud frame cavity with drywall surrounding the self contained gas unit inside. Even though the unit has a hot fire within it the cavity will not get all that hot as the design of the fire place transfers the majority of the heat of the double walled pipe and of course out the front of the display side.

However, some of these fireplaces were designed to have a blower; problem is that cheep builders don’t always want to pay for that, so you will either see the wiring for a blower, or an empty outlet, but no fan. This can be bad as this will present a very hot problem, wherein I usually require the customer purchase the specified fan, which is a good thing since they will now be able to take advantage of all that lost heat in the wintertime.

The wiring can be run inside this cavity, just so long as it is safely clear of the fireplace housing, check specific codes in your area for the distance.

AC appliance power & extension cords can never be run through walls !!! This is a big code no no. You must install a legitimate power plug at the TV location. Which if you are on a crawl is a lot simpler than you might think, wherefore it should not cost all that much to have an electrician do this for you.

If you look inside the gas fireplace cavity you will probably see romex nailed along the studs inside this tells you that the electrician was not very concerned with the space getting to hot for his wiring. However if there is a thermal concern, you can run your video cabling for the sake of safety and future upgrades through flexible metallic conduit, making sure that it is safely secured to the inside of the cavity away form the heat source.

Brick fire places require that you chisel out a line of mortar one half brick deep from the center out to the side where the cabling will be fished in from a wall or a cabinet, completely removing one single brick in the center behind the TV. Some people bury Romex but we use flexible MC Cable 14/2 or 12/2 + ground where applicable coupled to a single gang mortar outlet box. It is really a benefit if your receiver up-converts to HDMI so that you only have to run the one cable plus a control system wire along with the MC electrical cable through the mortar channel.

Using a small roto hammer with a small bit and some patience is the best method to make the channel, mortar drills out pretty easy, however it is a very messy process so a good shop vac masking and drops is required. We usually have one guy hold the shop vac hose right next to the roto hammer bit to suck up the dust as we go. Make sure you press all the cabling as far back into the channel as possible without gouging it. Re-mortar over the cabling with the correct mortar color, yes there are different colors of sand, some are greyer some are whiter, take some of the mortar you removed to wherever you are buying your mortar from and show the expert.

I use tapcon concrete anchors with fender washers to hold the TV mounting plate to the wall; these screws are very strong if installed properly. I map out the bracket placement screw holes with blue tape first just to make double sure I am not going to make a mistakes.

There are a lot of variables, but installing a TV over a fireplace is not really all that big a deal.

Be safe!

David

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
It all depends on how high the mouth and mantle of your fireplace goes....I have never once had an issue being uncomfortable with my TV mounted over the fireplace...even from 6 feet away.

I noticed the black soot build up at the ceiling level, I am curious as to this soot and it's relevance to your panel is it collecting on the flat panel as well, and is your fireplace drafting properly, be careful krzywica, remember the thread with the candle burning the panel ?? sawz..

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
I mounted my plasma above the fireplace. I'm the guy mentioned above who's wife melted the plastic surround on the tv by lighting candles under it!
As mentioned above, I checked for heat issues before the install. I also opened up the whole wall and ran 2 1/2" pvc conduit up and down both sides of the fireplace, as well as into the attic. The pvc filled up fast! I wish I had paid more attention to getting flush cuts on the pvc before gluing it up. All the sloppy cuts came back to haunt me when I went to pull wires. They would snag up in the elbows where there was a void from the pipe itself not being cut square. Ungh. I did get it done. I was very conscious of the height and battled my wife over it. She won and it is pretty high up. We don't watch much tv, sometimes the news late at night. It is to high to sit and watch for extended periods. If you recline while facing the tv, it is just fine and this is how we watch movies. It looks stunning with the mantle surround in place. Our tv is mainly used as a monitor for the music server and a screen for the Sammy Blu Ray to run Pandora. I post a picture of the finished product. It is made from Urban Cherry cut locally by a sawyer and delivered to me with one pass on his planer. I don't have pics of the rough in on this computer.......My front speakers are Quad 12L actives that sound wonderful. I have a small sub from Aperion supplementing them and I am happy with my setup. I use a two channel Parasound amp to run the whole house audio from a speaker selector to regular speakers hung on the walls in various rooms. Nice.
Haven't been here much as I am working and going to school full time. My painting business tanked from the economy, and so I have an entry level job in tree research at the Morton Arboretum and am taking classes for an assoc. degree in Urban Forestry.
Mounting a tv over a fireplace is doable, but it rarely is optimal. In my case it was the only place that made sense when I factored in the speaker placement and location of my rig. When reclined facing the tv, it works wonderfully.

Attachments

D

DuluthMN

Audioholic Intern
Any TV should be at eye level or you are going to put a strain on your neck. Plus, unless your fireplace is totally enclosed and the heat is distributed out the sides, you will ruin your unit.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
You can mount a tv over a fireplace!!

Any TV should be at eye level or you are going to put a strain on your neck. Plus, unless your fireplace is totally enclosed and the heat is distributed out the sides, you will ruin your unit.
I guess I have to disagree. My tv is way higher than I would like it, BUT, I don't/rarely watch TV, and when my wife and I have time to watch a movie, we use the recliners that are built into our couch and experience no neck pain.
As for temperature, if your fireplace is getting that hot on the outside, something is wrong. I burn Oak, in a normal fireplace with the doors open and the temperature on the bottom of my TV never gets above 80'F.
So, if you do your research on this topic, you'll find that often in small spaces the whole focal point of the room is the fireplace. I thought long and hard before I mounted the display this high. In the end, it worked well for us.
YOU CAN MOUNT A TV OVER A FIREPLACE. DO YOUR RESEARCH, TAKE TEMPERATURE READINGS BEFORE MOUNTING, AND DO A TEST SIT WITH A PIECE OF CARDBOARD FOR A MOCK UP.
I am happy with my install. It was the perfect solution for the space we have in our small townhouse.

Last edited:
D

DuluthMN

Audioholic Intern
I guess I have to disagree. My tv is way higher than I would like it, BUT, I don't/rarely watch TV, and when my wife and I have time to watch a movie, we use the recliners that are built into our couch and experience no neck pain.
As for temperature, if your fireplace is getting that hot on the outside, something is wrong. I burn Oak, in a normal fireplace with the doors open and the temperature on the bottom of my TV never gets above 80'F.
So, if you do your research on this topic, you'll find that often in small spaces the whole focal point of the room is the fireplace. I thought long and hard before I mounted the display this high. In the end, it worked well for us.
YOU CAN MOUNT A TV OVER A FIREPLACE. DO YOUR RESEARCH, TAKE TEMPERATURE READINGS BEFORE MOUNTING, AND DO A TEST SIT WITH A PIECE OF CARDBOARD FOR A MOCK UP.
I am happy with my install. It was the perfect solution for the space we have in our small townhouse.
You sound a lot like me, in that I usually only watch tv 30 minutes or so at a time. So I am not a big time movie buff that sits for hours at a time. But with that being said I live in Northern Minnesota and I only burn hard maple, so the temps get way too high to mount a tv. But my 11 pound Waleye hangs there pretty nice... But again I agree, it all depends on the heat output.

A

Audion

Audiophyte
I have mine above the fireplace

Short and sweet, it took me a week to get used to the angle as it pertains to neck strain but with the distance from sofa to tv 13' its not a bad angle. mounting it was not difficult, drill, bolts, masonry bit and your good to go wasnt a problem did it in about 30 to 45 min.

B

BobSD

Audioholic
I thought this turned out cool! My wife has her everything room, including surround sound, computer, and I bought her for these cold winters in SD, a electric fire place that comes with a very attractive mantel. So I just place the flat screen Tv on the top surface of the mantel.

Now if you look straight ahead your eyes would focus somewhat between the matel above the fire box, so we find our eyes raising up slightly and no neck problems. It worked out great. But with that said I would perfer looking straight ahead, but watching her 40inch flat, you adjust very fast and for get about the slightly up view.

L

lobanw

Enthusiast
We never could keep our LCD above our fireplace because of the heat issue that a lot of members have already brought up. However, our neighbors across the street haven't used their fireplace since they moved in 3 years ago and they have their Plasma mounted about the mantel just fine. Since the fireplace does take up so much attention and focal space it is hard to put a wall mount up so I would suggest putting it up for a test run to see how you like it and how it works with the rest of your set up. Good luck :)

M

mozi121

Enthusiast

How high you have to look depends on the distance back from the fireplace/tv and the height at which it is hung.

I personally would not do this for several reasons:

1. heat and smoke will eventually discolor it and the plastic housing

2. The height for such a placement is typically too high for comfortable veiwing a TV

3. Hiding wires etc in the wall make it quite a pain should it require service or a change out in the future.

4. A TV is a TV. You aren't going to hide it. In fact, setting it over a fireplace is going to draw more attention to it. How about just a nice new stand?:rolleyes:

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Once again.
I have had none of the issues you mention.
I opened up the walls and installed 2 1/2" PVC to both sides and up to the attic.
It is high for extended viewing, so we recline for movies. Just too busy to sit and watch much tv for extended periods.
My fireplace has a proper draw on it, so no smoke to speak of. If you read my post above, you'd see that doing a heat temperature test beforehand told me that heat wasn't an issue.
Many of us with small areas find the fireplace is the only focal point for a room. Hence the tv above.
So, it works for us in our situation as I'm sure you read in my post!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis